Turn on thread page Beta

muslim boys discrimination 'upturned' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When you consider the general hairiness of many Muslim/Asian youths I am surprised that this has never come up before. Am I right to presume that lads have just gotten on and shaved son far? I presume this will now lead to a lot more beardy 5th and 6th formers as pressure grows on them to show their general piety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    What's the need for pathetic games? Muslim, non Muslim are labels that separate people, why are you perpetuating it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well what exactly should I say? If I'm referring to someone who isn't a Christian, shouldn't I say, non christian? A Muslim is a Muslim, I can't say a white person is a non Muslim, they could very well be a Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only one has been allowed to because of his commitment to his faith and his human rights. Don't know whats happening about the other one yet. I can see how others who can't grow a beards at this school would feel because of this, I think they should protest about the rule of not being able to wear a beard as i think it is a petty rule anyway, you are within you rights to challenge any rules, if no one had ever challenged rules then schools would be like the Victorian era still. I can see why the young reading this in the newspapers would feel about this especially the ones that don't have any faith as they wouldn't be able to understand so much about what having a faith means to people that do have a faith. Perhaps we should ban all faith schools in this country.

ReputationRep:
    I know tons of male Muslims who are clean-shaven, even from more conservative countries like Saudi Arabia, so it's clearly a choice, not an obligation http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10369726.

However, not sure why a neatly-kept beard should be an issue for anyone (i.e. all boys should be allowed to have one if they wish), especially as facial hair is natural, and can only be got rid of by scraping a very sharp object against the most sensitive and visible part of your body. Why does that practice have to be compulsory?

As a point of comparison: although a lot of girls and women willingly shave their leg/underarm hair anyway, from peer/societal pressure, can you imagine a school rule stating that all girls had to remove their leg hair?! It would be ridiculous. And what about female facial hair, which exists, too - does that have to come off in this school?

Discriminatory, pointless rules.

ReputationRep:
    Not shocking one rule for whites, another rule for non-whites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FcukIslam)
    Not shocking one rule for whites, another rule for non-whites.

Yes, of course. Because there are no white Muslims :rolleyes:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.