Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Woah, for a minute there you nearly over-reacted.

It was strongly worded, but I think the point was if you were really, truly cut up about losing someone of such importance to you like that, whether or not you're crying would be such a insignificant matter in comparison...
    Maybe for you, maybe for me. But not everyone is the same. The OP is probably scared that if they start crying they won't stop and crying through the whole entire funeral may seem like a bit much to them.

Also, I don't think its an over-reaction to think that saying 'you didn't care about you grandmother enough' to someone who has just lost their grandmother is horrid.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think its awful if you did cry at the funeral. Its a very sad time for you people would understand. Some people can hold it together others can't. Doesn't make you any worse or better if you cry or not. Different people deal with grief in different ways. However I would not miss the funeral its something you'll almost definitely regret in the future.

Just go and if you feel yourself welling up then take yourself somewhere to a side to try get a hold of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    She didnt over react
    It was an unacceptable thing to say to somebody that just lost thair grandmother
    Thats just not respectful u *****
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The harder you try to stop them, the harder they will fall

ReputationRep:
    In my culture, we are expected to cry a lot, and really loudly at funerals. It was a shock when I experienced my first funeral like that.

ReputationRep:
    There is no shame in crying, especially not at something as sad as a funeral...but if you absolutely must avoid it, the only real way is to hide if/when it happens from everybody else by excusing yourself to the bathroom or a similarly private location.

I wouldn't try to suppress the tears, you need to process the grief and the first stage-acceptance-is one of the hardest. x

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder how someone comes across an old thread. Nearly a year has passed.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you guys replying to a year old thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like to think I'm pretty strong but at funerals I can't help it it's not a sign of weakness if you really don't want to cry you might have to just try to hold it in if you can't just remember your not weak . All I can think of in the service try thinking of the good times that might help you not cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm scattering my Grandad's ashes today and I feel like I have no more years left to cry, he was diagnosed with cancer 3 times before he eventually died.
    Stay strong, buddy. Your grandma would appreciate being missed, but she is happy, healthy and not in pain.
    Stay strong.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you crying? It's a celebration of her life, see her off proudly and joyfully. If she lived a great life (as I'm sure she did), there's no reason to cry - cheer and celebrate! She had a happy life and now she's at rest. My condolences, nevertheless.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.