Turn on thread page Beta

Brazilian JiuJitsu watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbenzene)
    Which MMA gyms in particular? I have been training MMA but not asmuch as BJJ, If theres a good MMA gym i could consider training MMA alongside BJJ at Gracie Barra. Depends on my uni time tables aswell i guess.
    UTC looks pretty good, do a student package which is still expensive for students at £30 but get 12 classes per week and is a good gym in it's own right.(weights and stuff)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gogoge)
    I did about a year in tokyo, had a short break from martial arts when I came back and then took another 10-11 months to get up to purple belt , but that was training at least 4 times a week. I had trained judo when I was a kid too.You should push hard for ppl belt, not only does it mean you are competition standard, but it means you no longer have to get your shoulder ****ed up being the blue belt that the sensei demos the kimura on
    ah okay, sounds like you been training for a while then, I do train at Gracie Barra 4 days a week + free sparring on saturdays, so I should be able to soon, the best way to prove your worthy of ranking is GB is to win comps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Agree to disagree, but i don't think my suggestion of going to an BJJ class taught by a high level BJJ practioner to learn BJJ is the same as going to Fitness and Health HND to become a doctor.
    ok it was just an analagy , but my point was its always better to train something properly. also I don't think mma training is a good pairing for Bjj - I have seen mma people get tornup in class, they lack technique yes, but also flexibililty. Im man enough to admit I took yoga classes for 3 months a while back, helped bjj sparring tremendously. And met a bird there too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbenzene)
    ah okay, sounds like you been training for a while then, I do train at Gracie Barra 4 days a week + free sparring on saturdays, so I should be able to soon, the best way to prove your worthy of ranking is GB is to win comps
    I dnt do it seriously anymore, I sometimes go training with friends and we do light sparring. getting to brown is a big jump in my mind takes a lot of commitment, and prob injuries. I would recommend keeping very fit and not getting too bulky it interferes with movement on the ground, even doing something like yoga to compliment bjj training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    UTC looks pretty good, do a student package which is still expensive for students at £30 but get 12 classes per week and is a good gym in it's own right.(weights and stuff)
    That does sound good, even just for the gym, because at i spend around 70 for BJJ/MMA and Gym..

ReputationRep:
    I dnt do it seriously anymore, I sometimes go training with friends and we do light sparring. getting to brown is a big jump in my mind takes a lot of commitment, and prob injuries. I would recommend keeping very fit and not getting too bulky it interferes with movement on the ground, even doing something like yoga to compliment bjj training
    ah okay, yeah its a lot of training and work outside sessions, at Gracie Barra we seem to be more comp focused than belts, the bests come naturally as you improve your training.. we do cardio and stretch sessions twice a week to help with flexibility

ReputationRep:
    ok it was just an analagy , but my point was its always better to train something properly. also I don't think mma training is a good pairing for Bjj - I have seen mma people get tornup in class, they lack technique yes, but also flexibililty. Im man enough to admit I took yoga classes for 3 months a while back, helped bjj sparring tremendously. And met a bird there too
    Yeah, there is a big difference between MMA guys who dabble in BJJ to help their MMA and BJJ guys who train MMA just for fun but focus on BJJ

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 12, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.