Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HOW CAN YOU PEEPS SAY NOTHING HAPPENS?!?!

yeah ok we dont know if anything happens neither...but it is silly to say nothing happens neither

We are all uncertain here!!!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Captain Titanic)
    You can't die 3 times in one life.
    Depends on how you define 'death.' If you mean Clinical death, then yes you can die 3 times in one life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KickboxingOli)
    'Mission failed. Would you like to play again?'
    Not bad.

ReputationRep:
    “To die, to sleep -
    To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub,
    For in this sleep of death what dreams may come...”
    William Shakespeare, Hamlet
    There is a point in a man’s life when he thinks of death and of what lies beyond the doorway. It is at this time when life takes a back seat, when the bags are packed and he contemplates the journey ahead, into the unknown. I’m sure I’m not dying, not anytime soon, I thought. But who can say, really? Life is so fragile; this bag of meat and bones is so… “mortal” that we can never be certain when it will expire. Till then we will carry on asking the above question

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I believe in reincarnation, although I don't think I really do. I'm not religious or theist in any way, I just think the concept of afterlife is one that comforts me slightly. Everyone has a second chance at life. I find it hard to visualise in my mind a world where once you're gone you're gone, I find it much easier to visualise a world where you simply take the form of something else, animate or inanimate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was a magician once that said he could come back from the dead

he killed himself

but never came back

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or did he?

Edit: I'm really not into the idea of reincarnation, could you imagine coming back as a potato?

ReputationRep:
    This is why I'm not scared of death, I wouldn't mind dying just to see what would happen. As long as my death was quick and painless of course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by james1211)
    I'd like to think I believe in reincarnation, although I don't think I really do. I'm not religious or theist in any way, I just think the concept of afterlife is one that comforts me slightly. Everyone has a second chance at life. I find it hard to visualise in my mind a world where once you're gone you're gone, I find it much easier to visualise a world where you simply take the form of something else, animate or inanimate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well if it comforts you, the individual atoms that make up your body will end up as part of someone else's body

ReputationRep:
    All the organic molecules in your body decompose and are then recycled and used by surrounding organisms. If a tree was planted above your grave, you could contribute salts which will then be absorbed into the tree's xylem. So you can technically become part of a tree!

(This is so damn hippy...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    So I got my friend saying he knew a friend who died 3 times in his life. He said that when he died he experienced lot of pain and no sight. It was all pitch black.

So I'm going to get to the bottom of this by asking TSR. I trust you will have the true answer.

Thks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Near death experiences aren't actually dying, so your friend didn't die...

There's no reason to suppose anything happens after death, aside from decomposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)

There's no reason to suppose anything happens after death, aside from decomposition.
    There's no reason to suppose it, but there's equally no reason not to. Nobody will likely ever be able to say with confidence what, if anything, happens after death.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason to suppose it, but there's equally no reason not to. Nobody will likely ever be able to say with confidence what, if anything, happens after death.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not a reason to consider them equally probable.

ReputationRep:

If you stop beating and breathing... you are not dead? Of course you are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's not a reason to consider them equally probable.
    Why isn't it? You can make educated assumptions but since you can never prove either answer is correct, weighing up the relative probability is ultimately futile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    If you stop beating and breathing... you are not dead? Of course you are!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on your definition. That's not enough any more to be sure that someone is dead.
    Why isn't it? You can make educated assumptions but since you can never prove either answer is correct, weighing up the relative probability is ultimately futile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could suggest that a teapot was in orbit around pluto and there wouldn't be any evidence either way. That doesn't mean it is equally likely to be true as not.

ReputationRep:
    I could suggest that a teapot was in orbit around pluto and there wouldn't be any evidence either way. That doesn't mean it is equally likely.
    We know that it is unlikely because we can understand that for one to be there, the events that would have to precede it would be unlikely to happen. We can make a more educated guess on the subject than we can about what happens after death.

It is much harder to disprove or prove that something or nothing happens after death because we cannot judge it's likeliness based on preceding events. Therefore there is no reason to presume to any large extent that one outcome is more likely to be correct than the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You void your bowels.

ReputationRep:
    If he had no sight how could he picture this pitch black scenario...

ReputationRep:
    We know that it is unlikely because we can understand that for one to be there, the events that would have to precede it would be unlikely to happen. We can make a more educated guess on the subject than we can about what happens after death.

It is much harder to disprove or prove that something or nothing happens after death because we cannot judge it's likeliness based on preceding events. Therefore there is no reason to presume to any large extent that one outcome is more likely to be correct than the other.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The teapot is just a random example, you pick anything you like and the same argument would apply.

We can do studies to see what happens to people with, for instance, damage to a part of their brain and see how it affects them. Why should we expect a persons mind to remain any more intact in a person who is dead than a person who has severe brain damage?

ReputationRep:
    The teapot is just a random example, you pick anything you like and the same argument would apply.

We can do studies to see what happens to people with, for instance, damage to a part of their brain and see how it affects them. Why should we expect a persons mind to remain any more intact in a person who is dead than a person who has severe brain damage?
    The point is we shouldn't expect either outcome. We have concrete evidence of what happens to a persons brain when they suffer brain damage, but not what happens to the mind. Expecting either outcome over the other when there is no evidence to suggest any particular outcome is fruitless.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.