Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I knew it was fairly likely I'd end up doing maths at university so I did all the mechanics modules (although somehow still managed to end up doing S1/S2 and D1...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I knew it was fairly likely I'd end up doing maths at university so I did all the mechanics modules (although somehow still managed to end up doing S1/S2 and D1...)
    How much did it help you at uni to have done mechanics modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    yeah m4 is really so pure, more so than something like C4 trust me!

Ahh do u actually have to do an experiment hahah! C3 cwk was really easy...is it harder to get good marks in do you think? Have you done and got a mark back yet? A-level stats seems like it is a bit too focused on hypothesis testing...much more so than it should be, even in S4 though there is moment generating functions(uni maths ting) !!!

We havent even started fp2 yet haha (Ive had to get through like half of it myself already)! I have to selfstudy S3/S4, M4 FP3. My class is still doing C4, I just do STEP in those lessons as I still have to attend -.-
    Yeah just recording rates of flow and things. Not totally sure but looking back at previous year coursework there seem to be averages of around 15/16, apparently my teachers never given an 18 :/. The maths in it isn't hard it's just about modelling your own situation and what you have to take in to account when doing it eg; assumptions. Better hypothesis testing than harder probability though allow dat.

Haha oh right, whats it like self studying FP3? I haven't touched any STEP apart from helping some other guys with parts, should really get started though. What unis you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    How much did it help you at uni to have done mechanics modules?
    Difficult to say, not much directly - but the mechanics modules are the best modules to take if you want to do a straight maths degree on account of them being the most challenging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    To teach I thought "Which units will : (1) Interest the pupils (2) Be most suitable the vast majority of a cohort in year 12 and then year 13 given their maths ability (3) Make me want to get all excited about doing the unit (4) Allow for the best results"

On Edexcel my choices would be:

Maths to a non further cohort
    C1-4
    D1 y12
    M1 y13

Further Maths
    FP1, FP2
    Get someone else to do S1 (as I can't get excited about it and don't think it's a great hello to FM in y12)
    Get someone else to do D2 (as I don't teach it)
    M2,S2
    I don't know if I would go above D1, all the people I know didn't like it, and those that took D2 regretted not doing something more useful. It may be a biased sample, however, as most people I've talked to about A-level maths are those doing it at uni.

At my school we did:

Maths
    C1-4
    S1
    M1

Further maths
    FP1-3
    D1
    S2
    M2

I'm glad we did 3 FP units, especially seeing how pure the first year of uni is. Considering that those doing Further Maths are more likely to be doing a related subject at uni, I think it is fair to consider that.

I wish we did S3 or M3 instead of D1, actually. I hate Mechanics, but it is required in the first year, and I've heard that M3 is nicer than the previous two units. I know at Cambridge they have to run a catch up module for those that haven't done M3. S3 is more that I'm biased and found S1 and S2 easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrowhawk4)
    x
    FYI the Further Pure modules at A-Level isn't pure mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not, but would you say D1 is more useful? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not, but would you say D1 is more useful? :eyeball:
    No. Attempting to prove Riemann's hypothesis with a shower cap is more useful than D1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
    Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!
    I'm self teaching FM in my gap year and have chosen FP1-3 and M1-3.

I chose to do FP2 and FP3 as they both look really interesting, and chose M1-3 as I didn't get to do any mechanics modules in my regular maths A Level at college and am applying to study physics so they'll be useful.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    What is it? Just some more core skills?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    My favourites were S3, S4 and M5. I preferred FP3 out of the FPs, since it was the easiest.
    How is Fp3 the easiest?
    Are you a person who always gets 100 though?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by alow)
    I'm self teaching FM in my gap year and have chosen FP1-3 and M1-3.

I chose to do FP2 and FP3 as they both look really interesting, and chose M1-3 as I didn't get to do any mechanics modules in my regular maths A Level at college and am applying to study physics so they'll be useful.
    Fair enough .
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Did anyone on here feel that doing the 3 modules required immense aptitude?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I would go above D1, all the people I know didn't like it, and those that took D2 regretted not doing something more useful.
    As a teacher or as a student?
    The demographics of AS maths has switched and there are many pupils who 10-20 years ago simply wouldn't have chosen the subject.
    Often they are not the most able of students and if you have a mixed group IME it's about finding a module to suit the group.

M1
    Some students have mechanicaphobia and build up barriers.
    Many students (beleiev it or not) struggle with the maths and the concepts and it's too challenging for them in y12 alongside the 'onslaught' of C1/2 so we save it until y13.

S1
    Simply boring for many students and the book is 200 pages of boredom.
    Boys often dislike it.

D1
    Fluffy, accessible to all. No maths is needed and if you create the right atmosphere then pupils like it. We do this in y12 and don't start it until January time.

Every teacher will have a preference and to some extent this is important because of the passion and desire to teach.
    Tracking back with the data the results with previous years show D1 in y12 and M1 in y12 for the school was the better combo.

ReputationRep:
    For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
    Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!
    I had to learn the A2 for Further Maths (+M3) all on my lonesome. :cry2:

I decided to do M3 because it linked in with Physics A Unit 4 (AQA) and it seemed the most interesting (with the latter being the more important for me). I also decided to FP3 because I thought that it'd be a shame not to have a complete set of core modules to my name. Not only that but the other members of my class were also doing it so I thought that I might as well do it too. Little did I know that vectors would be the bane of my life.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Khallil)
    I had to learn the A2 for Further Maths (+M3) all on my lonesome. :cry2:

I decided to do M3 because it linked in with Physics A Unit 4 (AQA) and it seemed the most interesting. I also decided to FP3 because I thought that it'd be a shame not to have a complete set of core modules to my name. Little did I know that vectors would be the bane of my life.
    Would you have managed the modules you did if you weren't part of the amazing STEP club?

ReputationRep:
    How is Fp3 the easiest?
    Are you a person who always gets 100 though?
    Nope. And against FP2 and FP4 I found FP3 the easiest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    As a teacher or as a student?
    The demographics of AS maths has switched and there are many pupils who 10-20 years ago simply wouldn't have chosen the subject.
    Often they are not the most able of students and if you have a mixed group IME it's about finding a module to suit the group.

M1
    Some students have mechanicaphobia and build up barriers.
    Many students (beleiev it or not) struggle with the maths and the concepts and it's too challenging for them in y12 alongside the 'onslaught' of C1/2 so we save it until y13.

S1
    Simply boring for many students and the book is 200 pages of boredom.
    Boys often dislike it.

D1
    Fluffy, accessible to all. No maths is needed and if you create the right atmosphere then pupils like it. We do this in y12 and don't start it until January time.

Every teacher will have a preference and to some extent this is important because of the passion and desire to teach.
    Tracking back with the data the results with previous years show D1 in y12 and M1 in y12 for the school was the better combo.
    Just a student here, talking to other students, and I did acknowledge that I am (as we all are, to a certain extent) working from a biased sample. I personally found S1 relatively boring because it was so trivial, M1 harder to get my head round, and D1 easy to understand, but hard to get high marks in if (like me) you are prone to silly mistakes. My D1 mark was the lowest of all my modules, with the exception of M2, which was only 2 marks lower.

I am aware that many struggle with maths. Two thirds of my year failed year 12 (not just maths, they had to repeat the year or drop out). I basically taught myself C2 and C3 because the lessons went so slowly that I couldn't stand it (I did C4 in Further Maths classes so I could take it early). My FM teacher deliberately scared off the majority of the class in the first term of year 12, because he thought it was kinder to do it then than have to throw them off the course the next year.

I don't doubt you when you say you get the best results with D1, and no doubt it has its place when trying to teach students. But if the OP is self-teaching, then it's not about what most students enjoy or are able to do, its about what the individual enjoys or is able to do, and also about what will be useful to them in the long run. If the OP is serious about maths, then most people of my age I know who are serious about maths think this:

Attempting to prove Riemann's hypothesis with a shower cap is more useful than D1.
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    Actually OCR MEI FP2 arguably is...and FP3 definitely is! I guess it depends on your board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    Actually OCR MEI FP2 arguably is...and FP3 definitely is! I guess it depends on your board
    You mean OCR MEI's FP3 which is 85% incredibly applied and then has a tiny introduction to Groups? :lol:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.