Turn on thread page Beta

Criticisms of radical feminism. watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think of radical feminism.
    I approve of radical feminism.
    8.96%
    I do not approve of radical feminism.
    82.09%
    Neutral.
    8.96%

ReputationRep:
    I disapprove of it, look at what it's turned women into. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor90)
    Today's 'feminism' isn't even real feminism, it is a perversion of the message of the original civil-rights activists who emerged around the middle of the 20th century. Martin Luther King Jr. isn't referred to as a 'blackist', he is deemed a civil-rights activist, I see no reason why the pioneering women of this movement should not be as well.

It seems to me like the movement today, at least in the west, is more about hating/blaming men for everything wrong with the world, and self-victimization.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    You've made a whoopsie, and confused the idea of a man-hating feminist with the entirety of radical feminism. Educate yo'self

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tm..._feminism.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...m-assange-case

I get the feeling you're one of those fearful anti-feminists they mention there
    That very article illustrates my point. Look at the criticisms towards by Friedan and others then can see through the thing radical feminist veneer that hides misandrist tenancies. Radical feminists will not divide society, all ethnicities, all religions, all genders and all political viewpoints are waking up to realise that radical feminism has been trying to play them off against each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno-thriller)
    Neutral
    Why do you choose that. Bear in mind this is not liberals being criticised but the lunatic fringe, groups that call for gender segregation etc. These radical feminists are showing that they have little if any academic credibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    As a secular humanist, I find feminism in the UK abhorrent. It is a tool for white, middle class, journalists (professional or aspiring) to breed hatred and animosity among the public for their own private gain.
    I agree. I have noticed the radicals at least trying to generate hatred between Caucasians and other ethnicities in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Feminist thinkers have at times recently stepped weary outside of their areas of expertise and made themselves look very stupid. Examples include calling Newtons "Principa" a "rape manual" and criticisms relativity for "privileging the speed of light". This is not a criticism of the movement necessarily but things like this have tarred the name of feminism to a large degree bringing negative connotations to it. There are very few people who would disagree with the statement "we should work to ensure men and women are equal", sadly this is not the only idea now identified with the movement.

(Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Why do you choose that. Bear in mind this is not liberals being criticised but the lunatic fringe, groups that call for gender segregation etc. These radical feminists are showing that they have little if any academic credibility.
    Its better if we all ignored the lunatics. Although I may not agree with them, and I don't really care what they say, let them keep talking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    You may want to learn more about the movement, then. Try the London 2013 Feminist Conference closing speech for starters:

http://www.feministtimes.com/finn-ma...minism-threat/

excerpt:
    I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I am not trying to suggest that every self-proclaimed 'feminist' shares the exact same views, I'm sure there are some out there who do not feel the need to victimize themselves or their gender as a means of achieving their goals.

But quite honestly, speaking from experience, most feminists do seem to carry the delusion that women are incapable of injustice and that any dispute/argument/issue between a man or a woman is usually, if not always, the fault of the male. Perhpas this is because most of the feminists I have encountered have been on University campuses, go to your nearest Uni and ask 10 random women whether they are feminists or not, I can guarantee you most will answer that they are.

Also, the quote you provided highlights another issue I have with the movement today:

Let us be clear. It is not feminism that turns women into victims. It is the men who choose to abuse women, who choose to violate women, who presume a right to buy women. It is those men who make women into victims; not feminism. Feminism is here to stop that process, to end the violence of male domination.

This is exactly what I was talking about, blaming men for everything, the entire quote smacks of self-victimization, "to end the violence of male dominance", how does that not vilify males and perpetuate the idea that women are oppressed?

Also, what about male rights? Females are not incapable of abuse and malpractice, women can be pretty big b1tches when they want, in fact you could even argue that the western system today actually favors women over men. Plenty of men have been screwed over by women in the past and continue to be the victims of female injustice today, there are actually groups out there who fight for male rights and what they perceive to be abuse towards males, but for some reason, they are not taken as seriously as their female-counterparts.

I want to mention that I am in no-way downplaying the pleas of women who do face actual oppression, it is a very real issue for many women around the world, I just think that most (not all) of the cries of 'injustice' towards women in the west is whining and complaining more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I am not trying to suggest that every self-proclaimed 'feminist' shares the exact same views, I'm sure there are some out there who do not feel the need to victimize themselves or their gender as a means of achieving their goals.

But quite honestly, speaking from experience, most feminists do seem to carry the delusion that women are incapable of injustice and that any dispute/argument/issue between a man or a woman is usually, if not always, the fault of the male. Perhpas this is because most of the feminists I have encountered have been on University campuses, go to your nearest Uni and ask 10 random women whether they are feminists or not, I can guarantee you most will answer that they are.

Also, the quote you provided highlights another issue I have with the movement today:

This is exactly what I was talking about, blaming men for everything, the entire quote smacks of self-victimization, "to end the violence of male dominance", how does that not vilify males and perpetuate the idea that women are oppressed?

Also, what about male rights? Females are not incapable of abuse and malpractice, women can be pretty big b1tches when they want, in fact you could even argue that the western system today actually favors women over men. Plenty of men have been screwed over by women in the past and continue to be the victims of female injustice today, there are actually groups out there who fight for male rights and what they perceive to be abuse towards males, but for some reason, they are not taken as seriously as their female-counterparts.

I want to mention that I am in no-way downplaying the pleas of women who do face actual oppression, it is a very real issue for many women around the world, I just think that most (not all) of the cries of 'injustice' towards women in the west is whining and complaining more than anything else.
    I agree. I think all genders should come together against radical feminism. Radical feminism seeks to divide it is rather parasitic and can only survive on hatred.

ReputationRep:
    Its better if we all ignored the lunatics. Although I may not agree with them, and I don't really care what they say, let them keep talking
    I agree however many of their points are so farcical and so obviously designed to promote hatred that satire is perhaps appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vendettax)
    Women are the most over privileged people in Western society. They can do no wrong.
    I think rather than focusing on men and women, we should recognise how radical feminism seeks to divide humanity and what as people we can do to combat this.

I agree however many of their points are so farcical and so obviously designed to promote hatred that satire is perhaps appropriate?
    Imsure noone takes them seriously anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Feminist thinkers have at times recently stepped weary outside of their areas of expertise and made themselves look very stupid. Examples include calling Newtons "Principa" a "rape manual" and criticisms relativity for "privileging the speed of light". This is not a criticism of the movement necessarily but things like this have tarred the name of feminism to a large degree bringing negative connotations to it. There are very few people who would disagree with the statement "we should work to ensure men and women are equal", sadly this is not the only idea now identified with the movement.
    I think their claim that 9 million women died in the Witch burnings is about as absurd as it gets. I think those examples you gave might be the radical feminists who make the others look ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think all genders should come together against radical feminism. Radical feminism seeks to divide it is rather parasitic and can only survive on hatred.
    I am an advocate of male-female equality, I just don't think that this 'new-age' feminism, or whatever you wanna call it, is fighting for that goal. If the feminists had their way, then men today would likely be oppressed just as much as women have been throughout history.

Not all feminists are the same, but when the average feminist in the west starts to campaign for female rights in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia as often as they like to demonize the men of the western world, I will be compelled to take them much more seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Imsure noone takes them seriously anyway.
    I would like to think so. However in the OP I provided a link to a news report documenting some radical feminists who promoting the mutilation of males and this promotion has for some awful reason received state funding.

ReputationRep:
    I am an advocate of male-female equality, I just don't think that this 'new-age' feminism, or whatever you wanna call it, is fighting for that goal. If the feminists had their way, then men today would likely be oppressed just as much as women have been throughout history.

Not all feminists are the same, but when the average feminist in the west starts to campaign for female rights in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia as often as they like to demonize the men of the western world, I will be compelled to take them much more seriously.
    I think many liberal feminists do accept male-female equality, it is the radical feminists who are trying to drag the movement into misandry. Luckily liberals have realised this and are starting to distance themselves from the extremist radicals.

I would like to think so. However in the OP I provided a link to a news report documenting some radical feminists who promoting the mutilation of males and this promotion has for some awful reason received state funding.
    Right that's it, I'm completely against this bull****. Good thing I didn't vot yet.

ReputationRep:
    Right that's it, I'm completely against this bull****. Good thing I didn't vot yet.
    It is pretty appalling is it not? Imagine if the genders had been reversed. This is exactly what I mean by radical feminists seeking to cause division within society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thoyub)
    I disapprove of it, look at what it's turned women into. Disgusting.
    Agreed,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    You make some excellent points.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.