Zhukov, the best general in World War Two? Watch

Poll: Zhukov, the best general in World War Two?
Yes he was. (Please state why in the thread below) (0)
0%
No he was not (Please state why not in the thread below) (2)
40%
To some extent he was/was not (Please state why below) (2)
40%
Neutral. (1)
20%
Rational Thinker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by castelo)
Don't forget the amount of human resources (meaning deaths) that Zhukov wasted in the path to victory. War is cruelty, but Zhukov was specially cruel.
I must defend him on this account. Zhukov could be ruthless it is true but remember he was fighting for a ruthless man Stalin, who repeatedly tried to remove Zhukov (Zhukov was becoming to popular for Stalin's ego). He was also fighting exceptionally cruel people, the Western front pales generally compared to its Easter counterpart, had the Nazi's caught him they would have tortured and killed him. Ruthless but brillant was Zhukov.
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hard to be a bad general when you have several million troops to just literally throw at the enemy.

Germany had the best generals, Guderian, Von Manstein , Rommel. Just to name a few. The Americans had a few goods ones as well, MacArthur and Patton. The Brit's unfortunately lacked in this department (apart from Field Marshal Ironside ). Montgomery in my eyes tarnished his reputation in Normandy and the Netherlands.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
Interesting. I think the reason I might still say Zhukov is because of his consistency, I mean from Stalingrad until Berlin, Zhukov decimated his opponents.
Zhukov made use of the close to unlimited resources in manpower the SU threw into battle. Just compare battle statistics - for almost every battle fought on the Eastern front (especially later in the war) you see German troops usually outnumbered twofold, with even less tanks, artillery, planes etc. as compared to the Russians and the SU still took higher casualties.

For me the most successful general of WWII must be Rommel. Constantly fought with inferior numbers, still achieved so much.
castelo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
Hard to be a bad general when you have several million troops to just literally throw at the enemy.

Germany had the best generals, Guderian, Von Manstein , Rommel. Just to name a few. The Americans had a few goods ones as well, MacArthur and Patton. The Brit's unfortunately lacked in this department (apart from Field Marshal Ironside ). Montgomery in my eyes tarnished his reputation in Normandy and the Netherlands.
Nor MacArthur neither Patton could be compared with the German or Soviet Field Commanders.
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by castelo)
Nor MacArthur neither Patton could be compared with the German or Soviet Field Commanders.
Patton was an armoured warfare genius, I'll just ring off a few quotes by others about him.

Kesselring: 'Patton had developed tank warfare into an art'
Jodl: '[Patton] was the American Guderian. He was very bold and preferred large movements. He took big risks and won big successes'
Eisenhower: 'George Patton was the most brilliant commander of an army in the open field that our or any other service produced' and 'He was one of those men born to be a soldier, an ideal combat leader ... It is no exaggeration to say that Patton's name struck terror at the hearts of the enemy'
Roosevelt: 'He is our greatest fighting general

Charles de Gualle also said that Patton's achievements can be placed alongside Napeleon's '
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads