Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    (i) you won't get a buggy OS at all.
    (ii) Whilst it is true that you would have to break the EULA to install OSX on a self built "mac", it is not true that you would have to Pirate anything ... OSX can be bought quite legitimately as a download. (19 quid ?)
    (iii) nothing wrong dual boot systems ... best of both worlds (throw Linux on too and let the fun begin)
    Thanks for the thumbs up, have you built a Hackingtosh before?

One very quick question I am computer literate but not advanced at all in this area. I can build a windows pc fairly easily, however Hackingtosh seems to be a step up. It's not too hard is it? Looking at the guides so long as I buy compatible parts I should be fine...

Also another question...do i install windows on the system first before putting OSX on or is it the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    H.C. Chinaski is dead right. I've been using a hackintosh I built in 2011, since then, that is running Mavericks with an i5, 8GB RAM, 6870, and a Gigabyte board (almost all gigabyte boards are compatible - tonymacx86 has a large selection of DSDTs available for them).

Runs very fast still, was incredibly easy to setup and hasn't caused me any grief (it's only kernel panicked twice- when trying a beta kext...)

There is the issue of violating the EULA licence, but as H.C. Chinaski said there is no need to pirate.

Dual booting really isn't hard either (mines triple booted with OS X, 7 and Ubuntu currently), however AFAIK you'll need a separate drive for OS X and Windows, as OS X uses the GUID partition map and Windows uses MBR. In the early days of hackintosh when people used ready-made distros, this wasn't an issue, however it is if you want a 'vanilla' install (i.e. as close to a stock OS X install on a real mac).

All in all I would definitely recommend going down this route (assuming you're computer literate and happy to tinker a little bit) as the saving is so great. There's plenty of help online as well (the tonymacx86 forums are useful and their 'cutomac' recommended guides are a great place to start). It's not much more difficult than building a normal PC, which you have said you are comfortable with doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heterosexual)
    Thanks for the thumbs up, have you built a Hackingtosh before?

One very quick question I am computer literate but not advanced at all in this area. I can build a windows pc fairly easily, however Hackingtosh seems to be a step up. It's not too hard is it? Looking at the guides so long as I buy compatible parts I should be fine...

Also another question...do i install windows on the system first before putting OSX on or is it the other way round?
    I have indeed built several over recent months.
    If you buy from the parts advertised then you should have no hassle.
    If you read around the forums then you will see what needs to be bought.
    I installed OSX first, then sometime later windows 7 (on a seperate SSD).
    When you install OSX part of the process (automated) is installing the Chimera boot loader ... this, I believe picks up new OS's as it finds them (if not you just run a tool called Multibeast).

If you are going to dual boot, I would recommend seperate drives ....
    I rarely use the windows install as I use vmware fusion ... virtual windows runs v. smoothly ( good spec setup ... I7 unlocked, 16GB Ram, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    I have indeed built several over recent months.
    If you buy from the parts advertised then you should have no hassle.
    If you read around the forums then you will see what needs to be bought.
    I installed OSX first, then sometime later windows 7 (on a seperate SSD).
    When you install OSX part of the process (automated) is installing the Chimera boot loader ... this, I believe picks up new OS's as it finds them (if not you just run a tool called Multibeast).

If you are going to dual boot, I would recommend seperate drives ....
    I rarely use the windows install as I use vmware fusion ... virtual windows runs v. smoothly ( good spec setup ... I7 unlocked, 16GB Ram, etc)
    Thanks for the response bro.

I have heard about this VMfusion before... if I wanted to install a few games on windows using this method, would they work seamlessly with VMware?

Also I am thinking of emulating this build, but with additional SSD's and a better power supply...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hackintosh...item35ce712e68

Thanks

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.