Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not when the crisis hits in the middle of the century and you have to pay out of your own pocket for basic shelter, private healthcare, private security, private retirement funds... also £15k will be worth nothing in 10 years' time let alone 50, and you know it will never go up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I can live on 5K.
    I'm presuming that's 5k excluding accommodation costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    I'm presuming that's 5k excluding accommodation costs?
    Inclusive. (House share) Actually scratch that it's 5K over 10 months. Still not too bad

ReputationRep:
    Inclusive. (House share) Actually scratch that it's 5K over 10 months. Still not too bad
    How much do you spend on food? I must be a spendthrift, I earn about £2,000 per month after tax and NI and it hardly seems to stretch very far. I don't want to seem out of touch. I suppose living in central London also makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth could someone survive on £15k? I'm on £30k and I spend most of what I earn.
    I was brought up on 12K and I am alive.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you spend on food? I must be a spendthrift, I earn about £2,000 per month after tax and NI and it hardly seems to stretch very far. I don't want to seem out of touch. I suppose living in central London also makes a difference.
    Erm I would spend £30/week. Also, absolutely every single one of my appliances (aside from my PS3, which I rarely use) are either low power OR aren't on for very long, so are effectively low power. I honestly think I could power my entire room with a 100W solar panel

Laptop:15W
    TV:18W
    Mini fridge: 12W
    Speakers:6W
    Mobile phone:2W
    Lights:12W (three LED bulbs)
    Printer: 12W idle. 20W in use, but it's switched off atm
    PS3: 150W

Not in my room, but bathroom:
    Electric toothbrush: 0.6W
    Electric shaver: I can't remember, but it does work out pretty low

I'll spend more on something if it's worth it in running costs

That's about it for my room. Oh aside from the telephone/modem, but they're technically not "mine" The telephone is half owned, and the modem belongs to the ISP.Still they're both low power devices.

I do have an array of kitchen gadgets/appliances, but they're on at max maybe 20 minutes?

Tbf, if it's central London, then I'd expect around 7 - 8K of my money to go out on rent/mortgage every year, but then I don't think I'd ever want to live in the bang centre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    I would be happy with £50k at peak. Although my career is guaranteed to pay more which is sad because I would have to pay more tax I would like to move abroad and pay less tax and live in a hot country, Dubai sounds Ideal as do most Asian countries.
    Make sure you don't fall into any debt whilst there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm I would spend £30/week
    A little over £4 per day? I wish I could do that, I've tried and I don't seem to be able to spend less than about £10 per day (if I want to eat a reasonably balanced diet).

Also, absolutely every single one of my appliances (aside from my PS3, which I rarely use) are either low power OR aren't on for very long, so are effectively low power. I honestly think I could power my entire room with a 100W solar panel
    Ha! You could probably introduce some kind of pedal-power mechanism and save on electricity bills entirely! (though that might increase food bills)

Tbf, if it's central London, then I'd expect around 7 - 8K of my money to go out on rent/mortgage every year, but then I don't think I'd ever want to live in the bang centre
    Absolutely, I spend about £750 per month on rent, and that's before I've even paid a penny of council tax. I could live further out, but I really value being five minutes walk from work, and being able to walk to the Palace of Westminster in about 20 minutes; I love exploring central London on foot. In fact, I'm constantly being pleasantly surprised by this city, so it does feel like money well-spent to me.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth could someone survive on £15k? I'm on £30k and I spend most of what I earn.
    Definitely doable. My girlfriend and I live on £13k between us on a £6.6k rent. Don't go out too often though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I was brought up on 12K and I am alive.
    No doubt, I think it was more of an expression of disbelief that the OP would be satisfied with that, and being unable to relate that to my own situation. Admittedly, I make conscious choices (like where I live) that have a considerable impact on how much I spend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brit_Miller)
    Definitely doable. My girlfriend and I live on £13k between us on a £6.6k rent. Don't go out too often though
    Absolutely, I think my comment might have been a bit silly. Clearly one could survive on that (though perhaps not living in London SE1 as I do).

I don't go out constantly, but when I do it tends to be to things that cost a bit of money (like seeing Much Ado About Nothing at the Old Vic, tickets were £80. I like the theatre, and pubs around here are not cheap at all)

ReputationRep:
    I know a fair few on less than 15k a year. Most of them have studied and are in professional jobs which should fetch a better wage.

I don't think I could be happy on those earnings. But then I guess that is because I am used to my current lifestyle. If someone else is happy working in a job at that salary, then fair enough. Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    A little over £4 per day? I wish I could do that, I've tried and I don't seem to be able to spend less than about £10 per day (if I want to eat a reasonably balanced diet).
    Well so long as I don't eat canteen food Otherwise, you can add another £15/week to that I tend to have:
    Scottish/English/Chinese tea
    English lunch
    (South) Asian dinner

That's "reasonably balanced" but it's also cheap

Ha! You could probably introduce some kind of pedal-power mechanism and save on electricity bills entirely! (though that might increase food bills)
    Well I go to the gym straight after work atm, so that saves a bit of money, though the gym membership of course is "worse" financially speaking

That being said, if the machines in the gym are any thing to go by, I could power up my room for around 40 minutes or so

Absolutely, I spend about £750 per month on rent, and that's before I've even paid a penny of council tax. I could live further out, but I really value being five minutes walk from work, and being able to walk to the Palace of Westminster in about 20 minutes; I love exploring central London on foot. In fact, I'm constantly being pleasantly surprised by this city, so it does feel like money well-spent to me.
    Ah I forgot about council tax... Students don't pay council tax. Remember? Hmmm fair enough I guess. I'd do it if I were in a stable job, but not on something low paid.

ReputationRep:
    Money is the only real quantitative measure of success. Therefore, I have no reason to argue with your plan, so long as you're content with failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't go out constantly, but when I do it tends to be to things that cost a bit of money (like seeing Much Ado About Nothing at the Old Vic, tickets were £80. I like the theatre, and pubs around here are not cheap at all)
    It wouldn't make for a good life living on this constantly. We very rarely go to the pub or eat out, but it's kind of expected as I'm a student! I think ideally you'd need at least £100 a week in disposable income.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I forgot about council tax... Students don't pay council tax. Remember?
    Lucky devil. Part-time students don't get any exemption

ReputationRep:
    Lucky devil. Part-time students don't get any exemption
    Yeah. That would add another £1200 I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    I really would not mind paying so much tax if our government was efficient. Our government allocates resources so inefficiently.
    That's not the point I was making. Think about it - if I was paying a million pounds in income tax then I would have to have a very high income in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    That's not the point I was making. Think about it - if I was paying a million pounds in income tax then I would have to have a very high income in the first place.
    Ahhh, Great now i feel like a douche :/

ReputationRep:
    £2000 after tax is quite a lot. What exactly do you do and how many years of experience do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.