Netflix (30)
83.33%
annie_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely netflix.

Also, for those who are saying US Netflix has a much bigger and better selection than UK Netflix, it's possible to 'trick' your computer/laptop/ps3 to think you're in the US so you get the US selection! I've done it on both my laptop and ps3 and it's fantastic.

For the computer I downloaded Chrome extension Hola Better Internet and while on netflix, chose a US server to connect to.

For ps3 just change your DNS address on network settings - there's videos on YouTube to show you how.

Anyone with UK Netflix, seriously do it! It's so easy to do and so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bigwhalegambler
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use American Netflix, and would thoroughly recommend it

The selection is a lot better than UK netflix too
breezer431
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have both LoveFilm and Netflix, I probably do use Netflix more for the TV shows but then LoveFilm have some movies that Netflix doesn't. I've heard good things about blinkbox so will have to give that a go at some point.
Mattylong28
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
Friends of mine said this about Netflix. Although, I guess most of it depends on what I'm after.
Netflix may be better for TV. Seems to be what others are saying.
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have Netflix and switch between the US and UK version depending on what i feel like watching and what each one is offering at the the time.

Never had a shortage of things to watch but that's just me.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, I am currently using Netflix. As suggested by someone else, I'll use the free trials for both and then decide which is best after. First impressions are that I do like the selections of films and TV they have. Disappointed that they don't have Fraser, though.
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
So, I am currently using Netflix. As suggested by someone else, I'll use the free trials for both and then decide which is best after. First impressions are that I do like the selections of films and TV they have. Disappointed that they don't have Fraser, though.
Assuming you meant Frasier, US Netflix does have it and is easily accessible if you have an existing netflix account.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
(Original post by cambo211)
Assuming you meant Frasier, US Netflix does have it and is easily accessible if you have an existing netflix account.
That's what I meant. Thanks.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Netflix + Unblock Us = £9.50 and is an awesome combo. Netflix has so much stuff on it. I've been subscribed since it launched in the UK and it's on the TV more than Sky in our house.

So many good series on there to watch and a good selection of films. Try http://www.moreflicks.com/ which lists the movies by region. Switch regions and enjoy.
Frankly, it's incredible value. Don't expect the latest movies (although they have some of them), but treat it like another (big) TV channel and you won't be disappointed.

Netflix's streaming quality is outstanding by the way. They've got the coding, buffering and the adjusting bitrate stuff in the background nailed. Lovefilm and BBC iPlayer can only dream of the infrastructure Netflix has created (funnily enough using Amazon's cloud which no doubt Lovefilm will be employing to full capability soon enough). Only Vudu delivers higher quality imo and that is a premium pay-per-movie service.

The last movie I watched on there was Olympus has Fallen on Netflix Mexico
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have both. Prefer NETFLIX for TV Shows and Lovefilm for films- although there isn't a fantastic choice available for immediate streaming so I get them through the post.

I know it might seem silly- but honestly I get plenty of use out of them both. In the last month I have seen 3 series of Breaking bad which would of cost me what- £40+ on DVD??? Tonight alone i've watched 2 films on Lovefilm instant so it has pretty much paid for itself.

I got a really good deal for Lovefilm through groupon so look on there- I think it was 4 months free or something like that. Can't really remember as it was nearly a year ago.

Cheeky thing with Lovefilm is- you can't just log in and cancel. You either cancel your direct debit or you have to call up and spend fifteen minutes being persuaded to keep it. My friend said it was so tedious she just gave up in the end.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
(Original post by littlesmurfette)

Cheeky thing with Lovefilm is- you can't just log in and cancel. You either cancel your direct debit or you have to call up and spend fifteen minutes being persuaded to keep it. My friend said it was so tedious she just gave up in the end.
What a pain. I signed up to Netflix and it said I can just cancel online.
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
netflix because you have more streaming options, and if you know what you're doing, can get access to US Netflix as well, which has sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo much more stuff, good stuff too
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by littlesmurfette)
I have both. Prefer NETFLIX for TV Shows and Lovefilm for films- although there isn't a fantastic choice available for immediate streaming so I get them through the post.

I know it might seem silly- but honestly I get plenty of use out of them both. In the last month I have seen 3 series of Breaking bad which would of cost me what- £40+ on DVD??? Tonight alone i've watched 2 films on Lovefilm instant so it has pretty much paid for itself.

I got a really good deal for Lovefilm through groupon so look on there- I think it was 4 months free or something like that. Can't really remember as it was nearly a year ago.

send them an email saying you can't use a phone, that's what I did, cancelled without any fuss
jimmyjonestown
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nocefilm is lame!
netrunner3242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Netflix is £5.99 monthly so that wouldn't probably even affect your finances and there is always something to watch. I just put it on every time I'm doing something just to have that sound in the background

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apple TV. No subscription costs, great range, connected with iTunes.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Apple TV. No subscription costs, great range, connected with iTunes.
So the content is free? ITunes is a ripoff.

If you want pay per movie then Vudu whoops iTunes anyway. Newer releases and leading the way in terms of streaming quality.

Sent from my HTC One
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
So the content is free? ITunes is a ripoff.

If you want pay per movie then Vudu whoops iTunes anyway. Newer releases and leading the way in terms of streaming quality.

Sent from my HTC One
The content isn't free. I didn't say that. I said there were no subscription costs.

I don't want newer releases. I want cheap classics, and Netflix doesn't have that. Never heard of Vudu.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
The content isn't free. I didn't say that. I said there were no subscription costs.

I don't want newer releases. I want cheap classics, and Netflix doesn't have that. Never heard of Vudu.
So you're comparing something that probably costs more and is a totally different type of service to Netflix and Lovefilm. It's like saying "neither, rent from Blockbusters..."

Sent from my HTC One
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
So you're comparing something that probably costs more and is a totally different type of service to Netflix and Lovefilm. It's like saying "neither, rent from Blockbusters..."

Sent from my HTC One
Whether it costs more or not depends on how much you use it, which is why I like it: I can use it as much or as little as I want, and I pay accordingly. I don't see how it's 'totally different' – they're all just ways of renting movies. Haven't Blockbusters shut down anyway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
18.75%
The paper was reasonable (7)
43.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (3)
18.75%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads