Have i left it too late to self teach Further mathematics!?! Watch

physicso
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by theJdog)
Alright, thanks Is it too late to ask them or can they still do it?
Definatley not too late! exams don't take place till summer
Manitude
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
FP1 and M2 should be fine to self teach. Not sure about M3 though, might be better to do S1 or D1 instead. Admittedly they're not related to physics (well, S1 has some relevance but not much) but they'll be easier to learn.
physicso
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Atheism)
It depends how good you are, basically. Last year I self taught A2 Maths, AS Further Maths and A2 Further maths while also studying two other A levels, and achieved A* in both maths and further math, so it's certainly doable.

Wow, clearly you're very mathematically talented! Thanks for your words.

May i ask what FM modules you took and which you would recommend for a Physics/Engineering degree?
Atheism
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
FP1 and M2 should be fine to self teach. Not sure about M3 though, might be better to do S1 or D1 instead. Admittedly they're not related to physics (well, S1 has some relevance but not much) but they'll be easier to learn.
I actually found M3 to be one of the easiest to self-teach - I didn't start studying until about 3 weeks before the exam and got 95%+. With my exam board, it was basically SHM - which you'll have done in Physics by that point - and second order differential equations, which were fairly simple once you got your head around them.

(Original post by physicso)
Wow, clearly you're very mathematically talented! Thanks for your words.

May i ask what FM modules you took and which you would recommend for a Physics/Engineering degree?
My exam board doesn't offer decision, so I took FP1-3,M1-3,and S1-2. My exam board only went up to three modules, though I've seen others which seem to go up to about 5. The priority for Engineering and Physics would certainly be Further Pure and Mechanics.
Manitude
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Atheism)
I actually found M3 to be one of the easiest to self-teach - I didn't start studying until about 3 weeks before the exam and got 95%+. With my exam board, it was basically SHM - which you'll have done in Physics by that point - and second order differential equations, which were fairly simple once you got your head around them.
Fair enough, one of my friends tried to self teach it and gave up quickly. And he was by no means bad at physics or maths (currently in his final year doing physics at Imperial)
theJdog
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by physicso)
Definatley not too late! exams don't take place till summer
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads