Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Hunt and NHS. watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Jeremy Hunt and the NHS.
    Hunts proposals are largely inane
    66.67%
    Hunts proposals are perhaps inane
    6.67%
    Neutral
    0%
    Hunts proposals are perhaps sutiable.
    6.67%
    Hunts proposals are largely suitable.
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think that's exactly what they need in order to be effective - the bizarre mythology at least. It's that mythology that keeps homeopathy going. If you were to simply produce a tablet - let's call it Tablet X - and claimed it could, despite every scientific study, physically alter your body for the better, it would never be used. Tablet X would, in fact, be ridiculed. Homeopathy has a history behind it and a level of pseudoscience that makes it effective.
    Utter *******s.There's no evidence that homeopathy works any better than any other placebo. That pseudoscience and mythology is nothing but marketing, why the **** are we paying fraudsters through the nose for it if just giving plain old water could do the trick. It also seems to me quite immoral to lie to patients and incourage ignorance, a placebo can work even if patients know they're getting a placebo

Its nothing but a scam targeting the most vulnerable. I guess thats why the Torys are so fond of it.

I realise you're hopelessly partisan, but homeopathy? seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Really depends how strong the placebo effect is. Conceivably it could have a better outcome-by-cost ratio than conventional treatments, particularly if it was offsetting the need for something expensive and with a relatively poor chance of success.
    I've spent a large amount of time around different NHS trusts over the country, (pre-medical student who just applied to medicine and did a lot of work experience around and about).

Almost every trust has a clause in its policy somewhere that says all health care professionals should conduct 'evidence based practice'... Although there have been studies into the placebo effect, there aren't many published/peer reviewed journals into the effectiveness of different homeopathic remedies, (not going to call them medicines on the grounds they aren't really medicines). Henceforth the use of homeopathic remedies is largely against 'evidence based practice'.

Take what you want, it's largely a matter of opinion. Many GP's I've spoken to/shadowed said that homeopathic remedies are a good way of treating potential hypochondriacs, who don't have an awful lot wrong with them. One of the GP's I shadowed openly advocated such practice. However, I think 99.99999% of doctors and pharmacists would agree that homeopathy does not and should not be part of any drug treatment plan for more serious presentations, be them acute or chronic.

ReputationRep:
    It's not suprising given the religious reverence placed on the NHS that the polls look as they do.

Personally i like the idea as i like Gove's free schools and i also have a soft spot for Hunt, he screwed up badly with BskyB but he's very moderate and liberal on the whole and could be a dark horse for Tory leader post-Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think that's exactly what they need in order to be effective - the bizarre mythology at least. It's that mythology that keeps homeopathy going. If you were to simply produce a tablet - let's call it Tablet X - and claimed it could, despite every scientific study, physically alter your body for the better, it would never be used. Tablet X would, in fact, be ridiculed. Homeopathy has a history behind it and a level of pseudoscience that makes it effective.
    The point of it being no better than placebo is that the NHS could prescribe your Tablet X and it would work just as well as homeopathy. The placebo effect is weird - it even works if you are made aware you are being given a placebo. The mythology is what keeps homeopathy going in a marketing sense - people associate it as a brand of alt-med - but it's not what makes it work as a placebo and isn't necessary if the NHS were to continue to include placebo treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think we should be championing genome studying of every human individual - checking for certain genes which can indicate favourite responses to certain drugs. (E.g able to say which statins work favourably or not at all) which would lower cost to the NHS (admissions, cost of producing excess tablets) and the patient (fewer side effects, hospital visits)

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.