Frank Ribery (13)
7.74%
Mackay
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo should walk it. Come on, just look at the stats.
DH1'
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo all day
Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
has to be messi
english007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo will win but messi is the better

Posted from TSR Mobile
english007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
*player

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
FIFA have extended the voting, coincidentally right after CR scored a hat trick against Ibra and announced that he would boycot the gala.

I hope this will bury "Messi Blatter" rumours once and for all.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qua)
FIFA have extended the voting, coincidentally right after CR scored a hat trick against Ibra and announced that he would boycot the gala.

I hope this will bury "Messi Blatter" rumours once and for all.
But, but UEFALONA?!?
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flabbyjoe)
you are actually kind of right

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/ball...-bycountry.pdf

I cant see most of those Messi voters changing to Ronaldo or Ribery
Ahahhaha look at Low's vote 1. Özil 2. Neuer

no blatant bias whatsoever there...
Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo was robbed 2 years ago as well so i would not put my hope to high in them giving it to Ronaldo.

Out of Messi's 4, 1 in 2010 should have belonged to Wesley Snider (excuse spelling) and 1 2011 should have gone to Ronaldo.

Saying that takes nothing away from Messi he is a great player but in those 2 respective years Ronaldo and Wesley outperformed him. If they had given the award to people who deserved it, it would make things so much more interesting to see who has legendary status with:

Messi - 2 Ballon's
Ronaldo - 2 Ballons

There is nothing between them.

Only thing im scared of is if they give it to Messi again.......That would be a real let down
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
Ronaldo was robbed 2 years ago as well so i would not put my hope to high in them giving it to Ronaldo.

Out of Messi's 4, 1 in 2010 should have belonged to Wesley Snider (excuse spelling) and 1 2011 should have gone to Ronaldo.

Saying that takes nothing away from Messi he is a great player but in those 2 respective years Ronaldo and Wesley outperformed him. If they had given the award to people who deserved it, it would make things so much more interesting to see who has legendary status with:

Messi - 2 Ballon's
Ronaldo - 2 Ballons

Only thing im scared of is if they give it to Messi again.......That would be a real let down
The Snejder issue was indeed a bit unfair. But he lost it because the voters (that is, the NT coaches and captains)rated Messi, Xavi and Iniesta higher than him. That's personal opinion, you can't do anything about it. And Messi was an absolute beast in 2010, while Xavi and Iniesta had won the world cup.

CR in 2011? I don't know why he was "robbed" that year. Messi won the double with Barcelona and had a dazzling year overall, CR was not better in any respect.

If CR gets it this year, it will mostly be due to Messi's injury and FIFA extending the deadline conveniently after last night's match. By which I am not saying that he doesn't deserve it or discrediting his amazing form. I'm still not sure if he will make it -it will be a very close race between him and Messi.

(Original post by danny111)
Ahahhaha look at Low's vote 1. Özil 2. Neuer

no blatant bias whatsoever there...
That goes for most of the votes. Casillas voting for Ramos, Gerrard (this year) voting for Suarez, Del Bosque (this year) voting for Xavi and Iniesta, CR not voting at all (and thereby voting for himself)... Making it a secret voting would help, but also lead to manipulation.

(Original post by Malevolent)
But, but UEFALONA?!?
I know, man. Messi D'Or.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)

Messi - 2 Ballon's
Ronaldo - 2 Ballons

Ronaldo did nothing to deserve 2011 :lol: Messi got the double and scored the same amount of goals as him :rofl:
Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo did nothing to deserve 2011 :lol: Messi got the double and scored the same amount of goals as him :rofl:
That was the year he guided Madrid to the Title! It was even toss up imo and most national coaches just favoured Messi when in my opinion Ronaldo was playing the better football, as he was not playing with Xavi, Iniesta and co behind him instead he had Ozil (who is amazing) and no one else.

Just to confirm 2011 was the year wear RM wore the gold and white strip right? I'm confused...
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
That was the year he guided Madrid to the Title! It was even toss up imo and most national coaches just favoured Messi when in my opinion Ronaldo was playing the better football, as he was not playing with Xavi, Iniesta and co behind him instead he had Ozil (who is amazing) and no one else.

Just to confirm 2011 was the year wear RM wore the gold and white strip right? I'm confused...
Messi scored more goals and had better performances. He had Di Maria who was second in assists behind you guessed it Ozil. Messi broke the record for most goals in a calender year...
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)

Barcelona won the title in 2011. (Or what title do you mean?)

Messi broke the record for most goals in a calender year...
That record for most goals in a calendar year was in 2012, among numerous other ones.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qua)
Barcelona won the title in 2011. (Or what title do you mean?)

That record for most goals in a calendar year was in 2012, among numerous other ones.
yeah thats what i meant cause i know Barcelona won the double in 2011 and then Madrid won the league in 2012 but Messi had his goalscoring exploit.
Prepotency
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cristiano Ronaldo is in his own class. He's the best player I've ever seen, I can't comment on Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, Cruyff etc. However, FIFA seem to prefer Messi because of the 'good-boy' image. Whilst Ronaldo should win it, it wouldn't surprise me if Ribery or Messi did.

2013 Statistics:

Cristiano Ronaldo: 55 Appearances, 66 goals and 16 assists.
Lionel Messi: 46 Appearances, 42 goals and 14 assists.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 49 Appearances, 39 goals and 12 assists.
Frank Ribery: 51 Appearances, 21 goals and 21 assists.

or for the 2013/14 season;

Cristiano Ronaldo: 24 Appearances, 34 goals and 7 assists.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 25 Appearances, 24 goals and 6 assists.
Lionel Messi: 21 Appearances, 16 goals and 5 assists.
Frank Ribery: 25 Appearances, 13 goals and 10 assists.

I don't see how people can use the 'Ribery has won lots of trophies though..', so has Schweinsteiger, Lahm etc.
Vae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prepotency)
However, FIFA seem to prefer Messi because of the 'good-boy' image. Whilst Ronaldo should win it, it wouldn't surprise me if Ribery or Messi did.
Could you explain how they have preferred him in your eyes? Regarding the Ballon D'Or?
flabbyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prepotency)
However, FIFA seem to prefer Messi because of the 'good-boy' image. Whilst Ronaldo should win it, it wouldn't surprise me if Ribery or Messi did.
That's a pretty stupid statement to make since the Ballon D'or is done through VOTING. Not some dictatorial selection by Sepp Blatter
Prepotency
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flabbyjoe)
That's a pretty stupid statement to make since the Ballon D'or is done through VOTING. Not some dictatorial selection by Sepp Blatter
It's not a stupid statement at all. In fact it's completely true thanks to Sepp Blatter's honesty. He said 'I prefer Messi'. If that's not favouritism then I don't know what is.

I realise the Balon D'or is decided by journalists, football captains and managers. However, they don't vote on pure footballing ability. They vote for their favourite. I remember reading an article where one journalist said he picked Messi over Ronaldo simply because of Messi's portrayed personality. Then when you look at some national team managers, they pick their players instead of Messi/Ronaldo.

If I find a link of who voted for who, I'll edit this post

To summarise, I'm not saying Messi wins Balon D'ors because FIFA prefer him. I'm saying FIFA prefer Messi (which they do) and the people who vote tend to prefer Messi because of his personality (which they do).
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If Ronaldo doesn't win it this year, he's never going to win it again...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (40)
23.81%
The paper was reasonable (74)
44.05%
Not feeling great about that exam (29)
17.26%
It was TERRIBLE (25)
14.88%

Watched Threads