Why are people so happy to have their human rights removed? Watch

Poll: Are many governments trying to errode and remove our human rights?
Yes (Explain why) (12)
85.71%
No (Expalin why) (2)
14.29%
Neutral (Explain why) (0)
0%
Emma122
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
with in regards to why people might be happy to have human rights removed and to have things controlled is that to at least some extent I believe having things taken out of our control and not having to decide things is sometimes what people crave. not that I agree with the taking away of human rights but its much like a child with the parents looking after everything.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
The right wing media has spent so long bashing the concept of human rights by equating it with prisoners having TV in their cells in an effort to enrage the "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"s of the country such that we've now arrived at a point where a large portion of our society genuinely believes that human rights are either redundant, expendable or an EU conspiracy. Or all of the above.

As such...removal of human rights isn't seen as such a big deal. Like everything else it's deception and manipulation.
A generation ago it was wet judges, limp probation officers and the increasingly namby-pampy approaches to Borstal that people were moaning about. At worst, the media just changes the focus of anti-judicial thinking in some fashionable direction - but it has always been there.

The problem with judges, courts and so on is that they come to rational decisions based on consistent principles. The public doesn't like that, which is why no democratic government has ever been ideologically consistent. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the discussion about rights.

Rights are unwielding to popular opinion, they often result in outcomes which can be seen as unpalatable - above all, they expect a society to have consistent and definable principles. The public never do: the vast majority will say they like the idea of rehabilitation of offenders, until a particularly galling case of paedophilia comes to light; or that they believe in due process, until some heinous terrorist is being detained by the police; they oppose torture until the decision comes where a foreign criminal is to be deported.

In my opinion, the surprising thing isn't so much that human rights are criticised by the public, it's that they're tolerated as much as they are. As much as I love the idea, I've come to the conclusion that people don't understand the concept of rights at all. Moreover, even if they did, they'd probably be overtly hostile to them.

With the wider judicial system, we seem to just about believe in it as an alternative to anarchy, but we've never seen it as our own, or as an instrument we've been involved in creating. It's an imposition, created by professionals with little popular consent. It's never really going to be in line with public opinion, so we might as well conclude that it's always going to be unpopular.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (161)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.66%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.52%

Watched Threads