Original post by Plainview
*Surprue

haha:smile:)
Reply 22

tell me about it:P
Original post by Forum User
0/2 so far. Anybody else fancy a go?

ahhaha pursue!!!!
I dropped out of university halfway in the first year of a chemistry degree, loved the uni and my flat mates but was on the wrong course. I probably would've had a gap year before hand but was kinda pushed into making a decision as the fees were due to rise the next year.
I do sometimes miss my flatmates there, we got pretty close since there were just a few of us in a flat. Apart from that I'm very happy I left, I'm now in the second year of a biology degree which I'm finding FAR more interesting, don't really know why I went for chemistry first time around. :smile:
I could've stayed at the first uni and changed course at the end of the year but I still would've had to pay the higher fees so it made more sense financially to leave, as well as giving me more choice in terms of course content.
Reply 25
its natural to outgrow things in life - even singers at their peak get bored from their careers, because its just been there done that. Its part of life.

Uni today is not the same as uni 10 years ago where they say your meant to have the time of your life; its much different now, and the economy is very different as well as job requirements.. so just do what you love, and find a way to earn money from doing that. Have you ever considered starting a business? Online business? Im thinking of that myself, reason I ask.
Did you end up graduating at all?

why would you do an apprenticeship rather than degree? what degree did you graduate in?
Reply 27
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

:frown:

good luck with your future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm considering dropping out, I've done two 1st years but in different courses and through lack of motivation and no support from the university I failed a module by three marks. I have to complete this module to go into my second year. Although I don't think in cut out for uni as I'm so much better practically than academically. I have a job I can work my way up in so at least I have a back up plan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think im gonna quit too but do u still have to pay the tuition fee
Reply 30
Original post by source
its natural to outgrow things in life - even singers at their peak get bored from their careers, because its just been there done that. Its part of life.

Uni today is not the same as uni 10 years ago where they say your meant to have the time of your life; its much different now, and the economy is very different as well as job requirements.. so just do what you love, and find a way to earn money from doing that. Have you ever considered starting a business? Online business? Im thinking of that myself, reason I ask.

It's strange that you ask since I have actually been considering starting up my own business but not for a while just yet. I would love to work as a barista and then eventually have enough money and experience to open up my own coffee business with a French theme that sells French patisseries. People can only dream though... :rolleyes:
Reply 31
For me studying was always tedious and I found it bad enough at school, nevermind university! I felt pressured to go to university as all my friends were and the school I went to basically told you to apply whether you liked it or not. I had the grades and I was so proud of myself when I got my acceptance letter but then it just went downhill as soon as I started the course. I understand where you're coming from, there wasn't a week that went by without a breakdown because of stress when I was in university.
Reply 32
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
i think im gonna quit too but do u still have to pay the tuition fee

I have no idea about that since I'm Scottish and obviously had the fees paid for me. I did however take out a bursary and didn't have to pay any of the money back. Sorry :frown:
Reply 33
Reply 34
Original post by Nfergs
I started my first semester of first year in September and only managed to last until November. I was studying French/Spanish with German as my elective at Heriot-Watt University.

One reason why I dropped out was because of the workload, I was constantly stressed and had no social life whatsoever. Because I lived at home all I ever did was go to university everyday, go to classes, do homework during breaks and then come back home to do more homework. I had so much homework that I never had the time to do any self-study which piled up and got ignored. It felt like no matter how much work I did, I was making no progress at all. Not living in halls made me feel like I was missing out on all of the 'fun' aspects of university. There wasn't really anything I actually enjoyed during the whole two months I was there. I was constantly miserable and I eventually had enough.

I'm not saying this to put anyone off, I know people that have had the complete opposite experience!

Maybe you just could not cope with academic work even it was at herriot watt or whatever it is. Maybe study isn't your thing? Try something like an apprenticeship?
Reply 35
Original post by Nfergs
It's strange that you ask since I have actually been considering starting up my own business but not for a while just yet. I would love to work as a barista and then eventually have enough money and experience to open up my own coffee business with a French theme that sells French patisseries. People can only dream though... :rolleyes:

haha sweet!

Well, your very specific, and seem to know what you might want, that's a great start if you ask me =)

You sound like me when you posted here so I had a feeling you might also have thought on setting up a business lol

but yeah, its great to plan that way =)
Reply 36
Were you on drugs or something? Dropping out of x number of universities, effects on your health, backpacking...... a little bit concerning.
You've done very well to stay on the straight and narrow despite your issues!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Admitting it is the first step. Well done really pleased for you.
Reply 39
I'm thinking of dropping out too! Just don't think uni is for me, I like the idea of a degree, and I want to do well. But the whole university lifestyle just doesn't suit me, I have no motivation here. I love working and being busy so I'm not usually lazy but something about only having 10 hours a week of contact time, being in a boring town and being 5 hours away from home just isn't living up to my hopes of what uni would be! Not sure whether to stick it out though! Hmm!!

Latest

Trending

Trending