LSE Economics and Economic History Watch

TheRealTommo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Applied for this course too! I got the seven week email and it's now about three weeks after that seven week deadline, I'm hoping it's no reason to panic!
Good luck to all you guys
LocoPoco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I Have also applied for this course. This week is the seventh week since i got the 7 week mail. hoping for a reply soon.
paulttj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone here studying/studied IB? I'm predicted 38 with Math Econ HL both 6, anyone in a similar situation, or what's my chance of getting in? Many thanks
tabbysheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i got an offer on friday of AAB including history and an A in maths. so exciting! took 'em ages to reply though. i think i applied nov.25. is anybody going to the open day ?
rickpatel89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tabbysheep)
i got an offer on friday of AAB including history and an A in maths. so exciting! took 'em ages to reply though. i think i applied nov.25. is anybody going to the open day ?

hey well done on getting an offer.
is this for the economics and economic history program?
tabbysheep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rickpatel89)
hey well done on getting an offer.
is this for the economics and economic history program?
thank you! and yes it is, is that what you're doing too ?
LocoPoco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by paulttj)
Anyone here studying/studied IB? I'm predicted 38 with Math Econ HL both 6, anyone in a similar situation, or what's my chance of getting in? Many thanks
Hi i am also doing the IB. my predicted is 40/42. i think you have a chance of getting in , i know someone you got in with a 39 recently. just need 6 in all hls and 6 in english if it is at sl.
rickpatel89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thank you! and yes it is, is that what you're doing too ?

no i'm applying for the two other programs offered by the department.

whats your subject combination? and how did you link the two fields together, if you don't mind me asking?
tabbysheep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no i'm applying for the two other programs offered by the department.

whats your subject combination? and how did you link the two fields together, if you don't mind me asking?
ahh okay, so is that mainly economic history or economics ?well good luck! for A level i'm doing Maths, History, Biology and physics as well as GS and the epq and all that extra stuff. i had originally wanted to do something sciency but i fell in love with history and i realised that it was the economic history part of our course i loved the best. we looked at the effect of the acquisition of the new world and the influx of gold/silver on Spain's economy. it was pretty cool. but i just think that the economic history part just adds a different perspective to study economics from. I love how economics is a sort of useful application of a blended mixture of History and maths. I also loved reading Tim Harford's books, that gave me a real love of economics but if i'm being completely honest i didn't make my mind up until the beginning of this school year so i'm still not a 100% sure why i chose it.
does that answer your question ?
rickpatel89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ahh okay, so is that mainly economic history or economics ?well good luck! for A level i'm doing Maths, History, Biology and physics as well as GS and the epq and all that extra stuff. i had originally wanted to do something sciency but i fell in love with history and i realised that it was the economic history part of our course i loved the best. we looked at the effect of the acquisition of the new world and the influx of gold/silver on Spain's economy. it was pretty cool. but i just think that the economic history part just adds a different perspective to study economics from. I love how economics is a sort of useful application of a blended mixture of History and maths. I also loved reading Tim Harford's books, that gave me a real love of economics but if i'm being completely honest i didn't make my mind up until the beginning of this school year so i'm still not a 100% sure why i chose it.
does that answer your question ?
thanks, yh so is that what you mainly spoke about in your ps?

i'm applying for the straight econ history course as well as econ history with economics as a minor as opposed to your course which has even more economics (economics and economic history). I rate you considering you haven't studied economics at alevel your statement must have been exceptional.
tabbysheep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thanks, yh so is that what you mainly spoke about in your ps?

i'm applying for the straight econ history course as well as econ history with economics as a minor as opposed to your course which has even more economics (economics and economic history). I rate you considering you haven't studied economics at alevel your statement must have been exceptional.
ahh okay fair enough, so are you applying to start in sept 15 ? i applied for deferred entry so that's when i'l start too.
i'm not sure they are massively fussed about economics they just like to see evidence that you are genuinely interested in the subject. like books you've read and stuff like that. i think it also helps is you have what they consider to be strong subjects.
if you want me to send you my ps so you can see what they want then i can
rickpatel89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ahh okay fair enough, so are you applying to start in sept 15 ? i applied for deferred entry so that's when i'l start too.
i'm not sure they are massively fussed about economics they just like to see evidence that you are genuinely interested in the subject. like books you've read and stuff like that. i think it also helps is you have what they consider to be strong subjects.
if you want me to send you my ps so you can see what they want then i can

i am applying for entry sept 14, i hope you are right because i think my ps shows that i want to study the course, but i suppose ultimately they will decide whether this is the case or not.

to be honest i cant even see why studying alevel history would be preferred other than developing ones essay writing skills, i don't think the a-level history syllabus talks much about economic history as opposed to polictical/social history, i could be wrong here though.

i personally think the department is keen to see you studying one essay based subject and one science based subject, so that they know you can cope with both the quantitative and qualitative elements of the course.

if you wouldn't mind that would be much appreciated, shall i pm you?
tabbysheep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i am applying for entry sept 14, i hope you are right because i think my ps shows that i want to study the course, but i suppose ultimately they will decide whether this is the case or not.

to be honest i cant even see why studying alevel history would be preferred other than developing ones essay writing skills, i don't think the a-level history syllabus talks much about economic history as opposed to polictical/social history, i could be wrong here though.

i personally think the department is keen to see you studying one essay based subject and one science based subject, so that they know you can cope with both the quantitative and qualitative elements of the course.

if you wouldn't mind that would be much appreciated, shall i pm you?
i'm sure you'l be fine, i think what the don't want is people choosing it just because its entry requirements are lower than for pure econ. you are probs right about the subjects they like. i know they are very keen on maths.
yeah no probs at all, pm me and i'l send it over
SanjayGill
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to study Economics and Economic History at LSE. Im about to chose my AS Levels and so far I've picked:

Maths Pure with Statistics
Modern History
Economics

But which subject shall i pick for my 4th subject?
Psychology, Govt and Politics or Biology and Human Biology?
tabbysheep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SanjayGill)
I want to study Economics and Economic History at LSE. Im about to chose my AS Levels and so far I've picked:

Modern History
Economics

Well all of those subjects sound great, do whatever you'd find easiest and enjoy most. Your other 3 subjects are really strong so I'm not sure it matters too much. Govt and politics might be useful. I do biology and it's relatively easy there is just a lot to learn. So you might enjoy one of the other subjects where you have to engage your brain a bit more. I don't really know, just do what you think you'd enjoy and do best in!
LocoPoco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anyone heard back? i just got a email saying sorry for delay in decision, we are still accessing and gurantee a decision by the end of the week starting 17th march.
LocoPoco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got an offer finally
paulttj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow thats really high! May i ask your subject combination?
blueconstellation
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Modern History
Economics

Choose whichever one you want to - it will make absolutely no difference what your fourth A-level is, as long as you get good A level grades overall. (I'm a current LSE EH student - people have A levels and IBs of all sorts)
paulttj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LocoPoco)
Hi i am also doing the IB. my predicted is 40/42. i think you have a chance of getting in , i know someone you got in with a 39 recently. just need 6 in all hls and 6 in english if it is at sl.
Well thanks mate! Just submitted my application for this course, predicted at 43/45, let's see if LSE likes me!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.4%
No (439)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.89%

Watched Threads