Lily Allen accused of racism : Political correctness gone mad. Watch

Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This isn't racist, she's taking the piss out of Blurred Lines and the way women are treated
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Black women employed as props, with frequent zoomed in shots on their exposed bottoms, whilst Lilly Allen performs much more fully covered and sings about having a brain and that being why she's not flashing skin everywhere, etc.

You don't have to be a genius to see where the racism comes in.

Satirical or not, she's made a mistake with this video. She's made the common white, Western feminist mistake of purporting to speak for all women, whilst completely ignoring the problems experienced by the black women she uses in her video. The video makes them look like sexualised props rather than actual humans with a brain of their own.

ETA: read this http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/20...ens-new-video/
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who cares, it's not important and it won't make one iota of difference. Her music sucks anyway. I thought she'd retired from the music business. Shame she felt she had to return
B-Man.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Antifazian)
Spoiler:
Show
Black women employed as props, with frequent zoomed in shots on their exposed bottoms, whilst Lilly Allen performs much more fully covered and sings about having a brain and that being why she's not flashing skin everywhere, etc.

Satirical or not, she's made a mistake with this video. She's made the common white, Western feminist mistake of purporting to speak for all women, whilst completely ignoring the problems experienced by the black women she uses in her video. The video makes them look like sexualised props rather than actual humans with a brain of their own.

Remember she made a song titled '**** You,' in response to the BNP gaining seats in parliament. I know making that song doesn't absolve her from this video, but it's worth noting.

She obviously used those particular dancers because she wanted the video to resemble a rap song ... because there is possibly more sexism there than in other genres. Yes, the black girls are grabbing their crotches and slut-dropping, but so is Lilly Allen. I don't think she was trying to say 'they are sluts, whilst she has a brain' because Lilly was also dancing like a 'slut' in the video alongside them. She didn't twerk in the same way because she probably can't and no one wants to see her wrinkly old fat ass anyway, but she did get involved with slut dropping and grabbing her crotch. I'm guessing that she is only wearing more clothes because she hasn't managed to lose the baby fat. She certainly doesn't have the beach body the other dancers do.
Antifazian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by B-Man.)
Remember she made a song titled '**** You,' in response to the BNP gaining seats in parliament. I know making that song doesn't absolve her from this video, but it's worth noting.

She obviously used those particular dancers because she wanted the video to resemble a rap song ... because there is possibly more sexism there than in other genres. Yes, the black girls are grabbing their crotches and slut-dropping, but so is Lilly Allen. I don't think she was trying to say 'they are sluts, whilst she has a brain' because Lilly was also dancing like a 'slut' in the video alongside them. She didn't twerk in the same way because she probably can't and no one wants to see her wrinkly old fat ass anyway, but she did get involved with slut dropping and grabbing her crotch. I'm guessing that she is only wearing more clothes because she hasn't managed to lose the baby fat. She certainly doesn't have the beach body the other dancers do.
I'm not suggesting she's an intentional racist, I don't believe she is. I think her 'crime' more than anything, is ignorance. Like I said, she's fallen into the 2nd wave white western feminist thing of thinking she can speak for all women, whilst simultaneously marginalising black women in this video.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Antifazian)

The trouble is, you are stating your interpretation as fact. You saw those women as "sexualised props", but I thought they were clearly part of the satire. It's not like they are idiots who
actually thought they were in a gangsta rap video. I don't see how they're props anymore than anyone who appears in a music video is.

It seems ironic you criticise Lily for speaking for other women, but ignore that all the backing dancers have said they're happy with the video. Shush you silly black girls, you don't even understand when you're being oppressed.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not enough ethnic minorities in music videos - "The media is racist, black women are only good for rap and hip hop videos!"

A video full of ethnic minorities - "Lily Allen is racist, there are too many black women in her video!"

Everybody's racist. Happy now?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://celebreceipts.tumblr.com/tags

Click Lily Allen's one.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The video is about as racist as choosing white bread over brown bread, or vice versa. People seriously need to get a grip
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not racist, stupid song though
honeyandlemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're just desperate to write a story.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not even racist. The people calling Lilly Allen racist are doubley ignorant. 1) it isn't even racist, if anything it's racist against white people, saying Asian/black women are better. 2) I doubt it was Lilly Allens choice, the producers/directors etc would've picked the dancers.
cherryontop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't people have better things to do?!:mad:
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm offended that there were no men in wheelchairs. Dats rasist.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ndella)
I don't see the racism in this. Black girls are just known to be better twerkers rather than white women anyway. Also, the message communicated through Lily Allen's song has no connection to race, it's connected to the objectification of women in the music industry - no matter their race.
This 100%! I'm a black woman and that video doesn't offend me at all. It's an obvious satire about the misogyny that exists in pop and hip hop culture, and anyone who doesn't get that seems to be totally missing the point.

Anyway, does no one notice that a couple of the dancers are white (or Asian? I can't really see their faces properly, but they're definitely fair-skinned), so it's not as if they're all black?
Gotzz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love me some lily Allen, but this video made me uncomfortable. I don’t think she meant harm, but god did it came of wrong! A privilege women talking about the objectification of women with out realizing that she herself objectifies women through the process. The irony, the burn!!
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/...ges-of-racism/
Not realising this is a parody. The double irony, the burn!! :rolleyes:
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She had two options imo to make the video her way or not make it at all...

and we're all richer for her having made it.

It's funny with serious undertones.

Noone who's anyone pleases everyone
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I watched it for research purpose, my first reaction was "that ginger girl is white". My second reaction was "I like what Lily's doing to that banana". My third reaction is "that fat chick with pink hair is definitely white". My fourth was "wow, people would be super offended if the fat chick was black too, 'cause dats stereotypes.

My conclusion: results are inconclusive, I should watch it again and again and again. However, the autotune is incredibly offensive.
CasualSoul
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
shes not racist..just evil

Spoiler:
Show
"At first when I see you cry
Yeah, it makes me smile"
^^^ how harsh ! :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads