Are we a nation of wimps - offended by everything? Watch

PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Algorithm69)
You are such a PC bore, do you know that? If the world was the way you wanted it would be an awful shade of grey. You seem like the kind of person who sucks the fun out of everything around you.
:ninjagirl: if you say so :ninjagirl:

As we're exchanging pleasantries: You seem like the kind of person who can only have fun at the expense of someone else. Which is a real shame there's enough **** in the world without ****ting on someone else for ****s n giggles.
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This thread offends me OP.
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. Everyone nowadays looks for an excuse to be offended simply because they want to feel validated. It's pathetic.

Of course, the irony is that it pisses people like me off to the extent that I'M offended because they're offended.
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
:ninjagirl: if you say so :ninjagirl:

As we're exchanging pleasantries: You seem like the kind of person who can only have fun at the expense of someone else. Which is a real shame there's enough **** in the world without ****ting on someone else for ****s n giggles.
By the time you finished writing that a child starved to death. And you what? I don't think anyone on this thread, not even yourself, gave two ****s, so please don't lecture us all on the poor 'immoralities' of someone making fun of someone in a first world country.
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess it depends on what is said & the audience.
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
By the time you finished writing that a child starved to death. And you what? I don't think anyone on this thread, not even yourself, gave two ****s, so please don't lecture us all on the poor 'immoralities' of someone making fun of someone in a first world country.
I'm not lecturing anyone - I'm not humourless (forgive me for not pulling out my stand up routine but this is the debate forum) and I'm not in favour of censorship.

Make fun out of whoever you like - just don't act butthurt when someone points out that those jokes are tasteless, thoughtless or not very funny to the people who they're pointed at.

Or actually - act butthurt all you like - I find it quite funny how pointing out politely that something someone said was a bit hurtful is apparently the most offensive thing on this thread :rolleyes:
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
The problem is this country seems to get offended by something...once the Daily Mail has picked it up and ran it as a story. Remember Sachsgate? That show aired WEEKS before The Daily Mail discovered it and the next thing that happens is Brand/Ross are being sacked.
That show aired on the evening of Saturday 18th October, after the following day's Mail on Sunday had gone to press. The MoS ran the story on the 26th, in its next edition. Neither Brand nor Ross was sacked, indeed the BBC resisted parliamentary calls for Ross to be sacked, both were instead suspended for 10 weeks.

Other than that you're exactly right. Except if you're suggesting that elderly Andrew Sachs mightn't reasonably feel offended at an obscene answerphone message crowing about having "f***ed your granddaughter" or that members of the public mightn't reasonably feel that they didn't want the licence fee spent on making and broadcasting that recording.

And what in part caused the small delay to the furore was the time taken to make discovery that although the show was broadcast 'as live' on the 18th but in fact (and unusually) had been pre-recorded on the 16th, such that there was now no 'heat of the moment' or 'these things happen' excuse for the phonecall making the air - it had been an editorial decision to include it.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Or actually - act butthurt all you like - I find it quite funny how pointing out politely that something someone said was a bit hurtful is apparently the most offensive thing on this thread :rolleyes:
Depends what said "hurtful" statement is.
Jem12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
FTFY
how do you mean?
Currymuncher3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I'm Scottish when I went down to England I was surprised at how easily offended some of them are, no sense of humour like jeez there's just no banter 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
DannyYYYY
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, we are. We're focusing on empty problems when there's bigger ones to deal with.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really don't think we're that offended as a nation. I do see a lot of pseudo-offence. E.g. people telling eachother that they shouldn't say certain things as a certain group might be offended o.O.
On a music forum I was on, some Caucasian folks were debating whether it was racist to say black keys (in reference to the piano)!
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe but people who get offended about some things are justified. Like uni students going into nightclubs and making fun of the 9/11 terrorist attack. That was a bit sick wasn't it?
Really_now
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
Maybe but people who get offended about some things are justified. Like uni students going into nightclubs and making fun of the 9/11 terrorist attack. That was a bit sick wasn't it?
The club night was "bad taste" night it was MEANT to be offensive. I'm not saying people are free to do anything they want but I don't think those students should be witch hunted or anything.
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Really_now)
The club night was "bad taste" night it was MEANT to be offensive. I'm not saying people are free to do anything they want but I don't think those students should be witch hunted or anything.
Hero worshipping. Typical.
Really_now
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
Hero worshipping. Typical.
I don't follow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads