Why is no-one British at University anymore? Watch

MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by deehee)
Define British.

There is no collective British identity.
UK passport holder born within the UK? That's my definition of British with regional variations. Some like to break it down to English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. If say that there are distinct differences even within those. But there is a British identity, even after years of Labour trying to destroy it.
deehee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AyWill)
I attend a top 10 ranked University in London - which I love. However, on the first day of my induction they asked us to raise our hands if we were from the UK. Out of 300ish people that were there only an EIGHTH had their hands raised. There was an uncomfortable laughter as the lecturers went on to talk about how multi-multiculturalism is vital for the UK.

I couldn't help but think why top Universities are rejecting good British students in favour for those overseas or in Europe. The obvious answer is financially, but surely it makes sense to educate your own before educating others?

I'm interested to know what people think on this.
Everyone in a British university is British.

If you live in Britain you are British.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't say I'm British (because of my passport and where I'm born) but I grew up in Britain and I'm a 'home' student in terms of sf. I wouldn't raise my hands but it doesn't mean I came from abroad just to study here or that the uni has likely accepted me because of tuition fees (I earned my place just as I'm sure everyone else has)

Posted from TSR Mobile
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Don't get me wrong I'm all for 'multiculturalism' but at what cost? Seems like a one way street to me.
This is why many people, myself included, do not buy into this multi-culturalism thing. It's all VERY one-sided.

My uni is full of international students also, particularly from Singapore where a law degree here will automatically qualify them to be a barrister in their home country (so I'm told). And my uni isn't even in London!
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry, in my MSc class I was the only white Brit out of the entire group.
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by infairverona)
This is why many people, myself included, do not buy into this multi-culturalism thing. It's all VERY one-sided.

My uni is full of international students also, particularly from Singapore where a law degree here will automatically qualify them to be a barrister in their home country (so I'm told). And my uni isn't even in London!
As explained, it's not one sided. They pay. Here. Now. Upfront. You get a loan from the government, which you may never even become eligible to repay. They may or may not be getting a loan from their home country, but they are huge cash injections to our domestic economy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23614142 look at how much some are paying.

Also, you could go abroad, too. Just like they are.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Sadly not. It tends to go off passports. There's no visa requirement for British nationals to attend university.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Don't worry, in my MSc class I was the only white Brit out of the entire group.
And we wonder why with stats like that the UK economy is often considered to be falling behind.
Bridgeta222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's all well and good but doesn't this just lead to British applicants being looked upon less favourable financially? If I were a businessman and I had to chose between a venture that could give me 9k as opposed to 27k (making up the figure) I would choose the latter.
Also, yes the UK higher education is widely regarded but we shouldn't be almost the only one in Europe. How many times do you hear of British applicants deciding to do a degree in Poland? Bulgaria? Switzerland? Rarely.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for 'multiculturalism' but at what cost? Seems like a one way street to me.
Your lecturer got it wrong, your context of using the word multi-culturalism is wrong. Multi-culturalism is for british ethnic minorities who haven't 100% anglicized. There are two types of ethnic minorities in the UK, those who are 80-100% anglicized, and those who still have strong roots to their cultural religion, where does culture end and religion begin ? . They are however, British.

Those students will study here in the UK and most will go back home, the word multi-culturalism doesn't apply to them because they're visitors, the word multi-culturalism is for british ethnic minorities. I've had international friends who go back home to their own countries to work in their own economies. It's always worth remembering that it's a 2 way street, british subjects are all over the world. There are pockets of spain that are like england with pubs etc. Those students aren't here to stay, they;ll go back, the immigration policies are really strict now for Naturalization and Citizenship.
deehee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Sadly not. It tends to go off passports. There's no visa requirement for British nationals to attend university.
So there are no actual statistics or numbers on this matter ??
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So there are no actual statistics or numbers on this matter ??
There's loads and loads of statistics on the issue. Universities very clsoely monitor it. The Home Office also monitors it.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe becasue a lot of very good foreign students apply?
There probably should be basic language requirements thoguh.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

What on Earth are you talking about? There are thousands of people who study at British universities (either for just one semester, just one year or their entire degree) who are not remotely British. They come from overseas, have no ties to the UK and may even have a very shoddy grasp of the English language. How you would describe them as British, I have no idea.
tsnake23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I attend a top 10 ranked University in London - which I love. However, on the first day of my induction they asked us to raise our hands if we were from the UK. Out of 300ish people that were there only an EIGHTH had their hands raised. There was an uncomfortable laughter as the lecturers went on to talk about how multi-multiculturalism is vital for the UK.

I couldn't help but think why top Universities are rejecting good British students in favour for those overseas or in Europe. The obvious answer is financially, but surely it makes sense to educate your own before educating others?
That's all well and good but doesn't this just lead to British applicants being looked upon less favourable financially? If I were a businessman and I had to chose between a venture that could give me 9k as opposed to 27k (making up the figure) I would choose the latter.
You clearly don't understand how university selection policies work. Why are you posting incorrect assumptions without doing any research?

The HEFCE set a fixed quota for home students that each university can take in. The universities must go as close to that as possible to that quota without exceeding or going under it. International students do not count as part of this quota so universities cannot decide to reject home students in favour of international ones. Universities will generally want to recruit international students because their tuition fees are high and so in reality international students effectively end up subsidising home students.

So the fact that only an eighth of the people in your induction were from the UK does not mean the UK students were rejected in favour of international students. However these international students are subsidising you and providing extra staff and resources on your course.

But economically it makes little sense because said students will go back home and have no desire to give back to the country. So the Uni might be gaining but in the long term, our country is not.
So international students come here for 3 or so years, dump £80,000+ into the UK universities and the wider economy and then leave, all without claiming any sort of benefits or taxpayers money. How is this bad for the UK economy?

Also it will probably end up that some of the brighter international students will apply for highly skilled jobs in the UK rather than abroad which will again benefit the economy.

Yeah its a one way street for the advantage of the UK, not foreign countries.
deehee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
What on Earth are you talking about? There are thousands of people who study at British universities (either for just one semester, just one year or their entire degree) who are not remotely British. They come from overseas, have no ties to the UK and may even have a very shoddy grasp of the English language. How you would describe them as British, I have no idea.
That's just the ignorance and intolerance speaking.

The OP is a muslim and some would say she isn't even British.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's just the ignorance and intolerance speaking.

The OP is a muslim and some would say she isn't even British.
OK, I see and accept that you are trolling.

But just on the off chance that you are actually this stupid - I moved to Denmark a year ago, having lived in the UK (aside from a period of about 9 months in Germany) my entire life. The fact that I am now located in Denmark does not in any way make me a Dane.

Thousands of Chinese students attend British universities each year for an exchange year and then return to their universities in China. How can you possibly argue that these people are British?
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Someone mentioned it previously as well, the government still subsidises higher education (albeit lesser now) and thr price that international students pay is actually the full annual cost of the university (therefore they get the same amount of money per student).

London is also a pretty multicultural area and since foreign students flock there as they've heard good things about it (and perhaps can afford to actually live there) there'll probably be a higher number of foreign students. In other cities/towns this may not be the case as accommodation and living costs are lower
deehee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Even if no one inside the British universities was British, so what ?
You get inside university based on merit, not your nationality, or your race, or your religion or whatever.

Look at Japan and Korea. Everyone looks and sounds the same and they are very homogeneous and their society is boring because of it, and they also have the highest suicide rate in the world, so, there you go.
STBUR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly because the government allows hordes of foreign students to come here as a work around for economic migration because many of them then get internships (also encouraged by diversity policies) and then they stay. Utter and complete betrayal by our own leaders.
STBUR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Define British.

There is no collective British identity.
Rubbish. Firstly it is racist to deny us our identity. Denying a group of people their identity is one of the steps on the Genocide warning list.

Secondly there doesn't have to be a "collective" British identity, whatever you mean by that. Give me a collective Chinese or African identity? You can't but that doesn't mean Chinese people don't exist.

Thirdly to be British you have to be English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh. They are very much all a racial ethnicity. To be those you have to be white. Cultural and race is inextricably linked.

So to be British you have to be white, speak English with one of the appropriate accents and be from one of its constituent groups. Those are the primary indicators. All the other secondary indicators that are more elusively termed "culture" is more varied yet you know it when you see it.

We are onto you liars. You try to deny race so that you can remove it from the race-cultural equation and then poo-poo our cultural identity. Viola, we don't exist. Rubbish. You are a racist and a liar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise