Currently an accountant with no legal experience,vacation scheme or training contract Watch

Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DimaTae)
ah helpful thanks, I thought firm and company were used interchangeably in most cases with firm being used usually in the USA although I do realise in UK law firms are always called firms, but why is that? What's the difference in this case? law firms are usually limited liability partnerships right? How is that a firm?
They're used interchangeably in the media, but that's because the media likes using a 4 letter word rather than an 8 letter word in its headlines.

Firms are partnerships. They have partners who both run the company and take any profits, but they do not have directors or shareholders. Law, accounting and architecture are commonly organised as firms. For some reason firms 'practice' what they do.

Companies are either limited liability companies (the name ends in Limited), or publicly listed companies (the name ends in plc) that are registered at Companies House if they are UK registered. They have directors and shareholders.
SarahNes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there ! I have a question concernig the TC !!I am a bit confused.... Do you think is it difficult to obtain a Tc with foreign work experience in law firm ( American, French, Swiss and Singaporean law firms but not in England)?

Thank you!
arrowhead
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SarahNes)
Hi there ! I have a question concernig the TC !!I am a bit confused.... Do you think is it difficult to obtain a Tc with foreign work experience in law firm ( American, French, Swiss and Singaporean law firms but not in England)?

Thank you!
Nah, work experience is appreciated regardless of where you got it. A friend of mine got a TC at Freshfields and her only legal work experience was with a small practice in Hong Kong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads