(Original post by IlexBlue)
But... but... chicken...
But... but... but... Chicken, bacon and cheese
chloevictoria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been a vegetarian for pretty much my entire life. I just hate the taste and texture of meat, and I always have. I tried eating different varieties of meat with it being cooked in different ways, but it didn't help.
There are so many substitutes out there, and vegetarian food just looks so much more appealing as it is colourful and vibrant. I'd muh rather eat a pesto and tomato pasta salad than one with chicken in, it looks bland and unappetising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IlexBlue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Converse Rocker)
Less appealing when I imagine the animal cramped up in a cage surrounded by its own faeces after having its beak hacked off.
Well, logically you'd think that.

But then a big bowl of chicken noodles just comes sauntering along...
idon'tloveanyone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whole milk could be an invaluable tool for weight gain and I'm yet to find a vegan alternative that offers the same availability/calories/price. I know about soy but it's not hard to find all the oestrogen scare stories, whethere they're true or not I'm not sure.
Well... if weight gain is the priority for you... :rolleyes:... then yes, milk is the cheapest way I can think of to do that. You'll also be putting your body under a lot of stress so you'll age faster and increase your chances of illness but I can't deny that it's a cheap source of calories, if gaining weight is really that important to you.

Just keep in mind, for when you're older and have more spare cash, that when it comes to building muscle..

... fruits and leafy greens are the way to go

You just have to eat a LOT of them to get the same number of calories, but they're far more nutritious and much easier to digest. And yes, they contain plenty of protein.
Converse Rocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by idon'tloveanyone)
Well... if weight gain is the priority for you... :rolleyes:...
Yes, it is actually. Milk is still vegetarian, no?

then yes, milk is the cheapest way I can think of to do that. You'll also be putting your body under a lot of stress so you'll age faster and increase your chances of illness but I can't deny that it's a cheap source of calories, if gaining weight is really that important to you.
Can you give evidence for this claim (preferably one that isn't from 'NotMilk.com' or some other horribly biased website.

Just keep in mind, for when you're older and have more spare cash, that when it comes to building muscle..

*gorilla*

You just have to eat a LOT of them to get the same number of calories, but they're far more nutritious and much easier to digest. And yes, they contain plenty of protein.
I would question the ability of most humans to eat the same way as a gorilla and actually succeed. I don't see it as a good comparison given they pretty much eat all day long consistently. Ignoring the obvious fact they aren't the same species.
idon'tloveanyone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you give evidence for this claim (preferably one that isn't from 'NotMilk.com' or some other horribly biased website.
Sorry, you're right - I didn't really justify my claim, comes across a bit patronising. My reasoning was something like this:

~ 50% of milk calories come from fat.
fat takes more energy to convert into sugar than.. sugar
every cell in the body produces toxic waste products as a result of its own metabolism
so you don't want to be increasing that by making digestion more difficult

also
too much fat in the bloodstream interferes with the interaction between insulin and sugar, impedes the movement of sugar out of the bloodstream, blood sugar rises, insulin production increases, pancreas becomes fatigued, adrenal gland becomes fatigued, candida (a naturally occuring yeast in the bloodstream) feeds off the excess sugar and the population grows to the point that it gets in the way of your cells being energised and you feel even more tired and well candida overgrowth has lots of other nasty symptoms

Basically there are a lot of nasty effects from eating a high-fat diet, you'll get all tired and sweaty and you can kindof combat it with exercise but by doing so you're putting more stress on your body, your metabolism increases, your cells die out faster, you age faster, lots of toxic waste in the body makes for acidic environments ideal for the development of cancerous cells, lots of stress on the kidneys to filter it all out, alkalising minerals like calcium are taken from the bones to neutralise the acids so you're more likely to get bone diseases like osteoporosis...

... there's lots more and maybe I'm wrong but just from experience, I did the dairy thing myself when I was trying to bulk up and just started to feel really ****ty, so it makes a lot of sense to me that the body works better on a low-fat diet, having experienced it. In fairness, I can't really afford to eat enough calories from fruit & veg to bulk up hugely at the moment but I certainly feel more energetic despite the lower calorie intake and it's not really stopped me developing my muscular strength. So I've stopped caring so much about getting big. Just my two cents, as I've been down that road myself and this is where I'm at now. By all means try out the dairy thing and see if it works for you (not that it has my ethical support) but I have a feeling that it won't, and if it doesn't then maybe you can read some more about what I've said on low-fat veganism.
Converse Rocker
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Sorry, you're right - I didn't really justify my claim, comes across a bit patronising. My reasoning was something like this:
Fair enough if you're speaking from experience, but others have done GOMAD with few effects. Really depends on your lactose tolerance though, it would kill some people and not scratch others. I was planning 4 pints a day tops, not worked up to that consistently though.
Bloodbath
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well... if weight gain is the priority for you... :rolleyes:... then yes, milk is the cheapest way I can think of to do that. You'll also be putting your body under a lot of stress so you'll age faster and increase your chances of illness but I can't deny that it's a cheap source of calories, if gaining weight is really that important to you.

Strong lack of pecs
Willowfairy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for it.
I may be biased because I have been vegetarian for my whole life, (completely vegan at home but I do eat the occasional chocolate bar) but I really like it. Not only do I feel healthy because of all the fruit and vegetables I eat, but I also feel better that I am not contributing to battery farming or anything like that. Also, don't let people tell you that being vegetarian (or even vegan) means that you will become malnourished because there are pleanty of other ways of getting things like protein into your food that do not involve animals.
ecokid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Raising animals for consumption is horribly energy inefficient. You could simply use the energy and grow so much more vegetables and feed a lot more people. Food would be cheaper. Less people would go hungry as there would be more of it.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ecokid)
Raising animals for consumption is horribly energy inefficient. You could simply use the energy and grow so much more vegetables and feed a lot more people. Food would be cheaper. Less people would go hungry as there would be more of it.
Are you some kind of nancy boy?
DannyYYYY
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
Are you some kind of nancy boy?
Did the nurse drop you after your birth?
BWV1007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dis chickin taste gud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Financechick
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shawshank)
I don't buy battery farmed meat. I know that the ethics of "free-range" chickens is still less than ideal but it makes me feel somewhat better about my decisions. If I could afford it I'd buy grass-fed everything, ideally from a local farmer.
Grass-fed can be cheaper than you think! I buy from a website called Athleat, the prices aren't much more than Tesco. If you want to buy from them I have a referral link that will get you 10% off (and me too ! ) Please, please use it.
http://urlt.ag/qcvb

The best option I think is the mince and the whole chicken. The chickens don't shrink when you cook them like supermarket chickens and they are huge. One can do a week's worth of dinners. The mince is the same since it comes in 460g packs which are just under £5 and you can get chicken or beef. They also do steaks that look amazing but they are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE- £10.99 for a 6oz fillet steak, that'd be my whole days food budget gone Oh, yeah they do multipacks so you can fill up your freezer, they're much cheaper than buying stuff individually and means you also save on delivery costs.

Mince is almost always cheaper since it can be made from offcuts from steak etc. Mince is great to add to stir-frys, pasta sauces, to make into burgers or sausages etc- you have so many options!
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DannyYYYY)
Did the nurse drop you after your birth?
Wouldn't be surprised.
bordercollies10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been a vegetarian for my entire life, pretty much, and it's not really done me any harm that I know of....
....yet!
We'll see what happens :-)
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've considered vegetarianism in the past and now I'm considering taking the step at uni (no longer inconveniences my parents) after watching this:

Not because I believe killing animals is inherently wrong, but part of me feels like I simply block out the knowledge I have on factory farming as a real problem.
The simple way around your inherent dislike of factory farming is to not eat it. Free range or organic etc is more expensive so the arguement I put forward to you is to eat less of it but at a higher welfare standard.

I'm a vet student, if anyone wants to discuss any welfare matters.

Tbh though if you're really against any kind of farming, you should be a vegan - dairy farming is fairly intensive as is egg production; even free range systems to some degree.
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dat science tho

No, comsuming milk won't put your body under any stress or increase your chances of illness, you're body produces lactase and breaks lactose down to glucose and galactose, 2 naturally occuring sugars.

Leafy greens contain high levels of cellulose, which are can't be digested by humans without microbial assistance. As we don't have a large caecum and our Large intestines are small compared to the animal kingdom - lots of greens, will just add vast amounts of bulk to your poo.
Fruits are similar, but more readily digestible. However it takes approx 30 peaches to get the equivalent number of calories as a big mac for example.

You can be a healthy vegan, see Durianrider on youtube, but leafs and fruits? Nah

~ 50% of milk calories come from fat.
fat takes more energy to convert into sugar than.. sugar
every cell in the body produces toxic waste products as a result of its own metabolism
so you don't want to be increasing that by making digestion more difficult
Exactly the same as whatever food you consume, eating animal food stuffs won't change that.

also
too much fat in the bloodstream interferes with the interaction between insulin and sugar, impedes the movement of sugar out of the bloodstream, blood sugar rises, insulin production increases, pancreas becomes fatigued, adrenal gland becomes fatigued, candida (a naturally occuring yeast in the bloodstream) feeds off the excess sugar and the population grows to the point that it gets in the way of your cells being energised and you feel even more tired and well candida overgrowth has lots of other nasty symptoms
If you have candida in your bloodstream - you're in trouble anyway. Yeast is not found in your blood stream, the blood stream is kept sterile for good reason.
Excess fatty acids in your blood stream doesn't affect your metabolism of sugar, if it did people would regularily have hyperglycaemic fits after something like a fried breakfast - people don't.

Basically there are a lot of nasty effects from eating a high-fat diet, you'll get all tired and sweaty and you can kindof combat it with exercise but by doing so you're putting more stress on your body, your metabolism increases, your cells die out faster, you age faster, lots of toxic waste in the body makes for acidic environments ideal for the development of cancerous cells, lots of stress on the kidneys to filter it all out, alkalising minerals like calcium are taken from the bones to neutralise the acids so you're more likely to get bone diseases like osteoporosis...
High fat diet is bad - yes. Unless you're drinking gallons of milk a day, you'll be fine getting calories from milk. Increased cancer risk from milk - unproven. Lots of toxic waste...???? Like...... considering the main product of metabolism are CO2, H2O and urea - I fail to see how these are going to kill you, unless you have respiratory or kidney problems.
Calcium isn't alkalising either. The lack of science in your post is poor.

... there's lots more and maybe I'm wrong
You are
but just from experience, I did the dairy thing myself when I was trying to bulk up and just started to feel really ****ty, so it makes a lot of sense to me that the body works better on a low-fat diet, having experienced it.
You might be mildly lactose intolerant, if you go from not drinking much milk and then do something like GOMAD, not many people would feel great either
[/quote]

In fairness, I can't really afford to eat enough calories from fruit & veg to bulk up hugely at the moment but I certainly feel more energetic despite the lower calorie intake and it's not really stopped me developing my muscular strength.
You've got to eat somewhere around your maintenance to build muscle - if you're cutting fat, then yes you can build muscle, but if your low bf% eating more than your maintenance is more advisable

So I've stopped caring so much about getting big. Just my two cents, as I've been down that road myself and this is where I'm at now. By all means try out the dairy thing and see if it works for you (not that it has my ethical support) but I have a feeling that it won't, and if it doesn't then maybe you can read some more about what I've said on low-fat veganism.

Well there you go, I've refuted your entire post. Pseudo-science much.
Shawshank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
DurianRider is a massive douche though.
username945458
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads