Should the age of consent be lowered to 15? Watch

Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
Because every woman who has sex is a slut. Right.
Correction:

Every woman who has sex before they are mature enough to know all the pros and cons, and all the repercussions and responsibilities, is a slut.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
You're confusing sex with sleeping around. This happens alot on here. I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually reading my posts properly.
Yoou said "so girls can be sluts at earlier ages"
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need an age, and 16 is fine. Lower it and you just legitimise pushing a lower boundary. Some countries have legislation around the age gap, and I think this might not be a bad idea too.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
Correction:

Every woman who has sex before they are mature enough to know all the pros and cons, and all the repercussions and responsibilities, is a slut.
I hope you apply a similar rule for men. Providing people use contraception what is the problem?
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lovelycup7)
I believe the issue in question is a two-player game.
Exactly. But it's well known girls develop faster than boys. By the time boys start puberty, girls are often getting it with older guys.
01Chris02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course the tax payer should fund contraception. I'm assuming you're referring to it being available for free?
That's not my point, I'm saying that the tax payer will take more risk.

This may be a bit of a subjective point I guess but generally speaking a lower age means lower maturity a good portion of the time (there are obviously exceptions though).

Lowering the age means:
Cons:

• Taxpayer foots the bill for more contraception, as in your suggestion
    • Sex is arguably not a necessity other than for the purposes for reproduction (in which case you dont need contraception) but that is a completely different debate. Haha.

• Possibility for more uneducated young adults leaving school with few/no GCSEs
    • Arguably this isn't fair on 15 year olds as law would permit them to have done this and they may become stuck not being able to reach their academic/vocational potential due to commitments to their child.
    • Also the possibility of more reliance on 'the system' as a result of this. Taxpayer would foot the bill.

Pros
  • Freedom to do what you want?

I think we can both agree this is a very subjective debate, however I try to look at it objectively. I can see more opportunities for problems than benefits as a result of this.

Even if contraception was provided and education was provided, this is not 100% safe and some young people will surely slip through the net and will become pregnant.

I am checking now (I am not a 100% sure) but I believe there might be a correlation between low HDI and lower ages of consent.
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
True, and that has completely ruined everything for the guys who aren't obsessed with sex.
...but it also ruins things for the girls that want genuine, decent guys, instead of guys that see them as sperm depositories.
martin jol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes please.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yoou said "so girls can be sluts at earlier ages"
Yes. If the age of consent was lowered, the girls can start all of their wonderful sexual activities at 15 without fear of any action by parents, the law or anything else.
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exactly. But it's well known girls develop faster than boys. By the time boys start puberty, girls are often getting it with older guys.
What, at 13? ****ing hell. :eek:
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. If the age of consent was lowered, the girls can start all of their wonderful sexual activities at 15 without fear of any action by parents, the law or anything else.
Why does that make them sluts?
-Neuro-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No point in doing a blanket lowering, we already don't prosecute teenagers for having sex with other teenagers (unless there is like a 13-18 split or something pretty large), so lowering the age of consent would benefit older people want to sleep with younger ones, which is already a bit questionable in terms of sleeping with 16 year olds.

I think they need to bring in the "romeo and juliet" laws of other countries - 2 year age gap restriction from 14-18 with a minimum age of 14 perhaps. So a 17 year old can have sex with a 15 or a 19 year old, an 18 year old can date 16+ and so on. It still protects children from paedophilia and since people usually fancy peers of a similar age, that would be accounted for whilst preventing manipulation by a considerably more mature teen. Prevents teenage boys from being criminalised and listed on the sex offenders register.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 01Chris02)
That's not my point, I'm saying that the tax payer will take more risk.

This may be a bit of a subjective point I guess but generally speaking a lower age means lower maturity a good portion of the time (there are obviously exceptions though).

Lowering the age means:
Cons:

• Taxpayer foots the bill for more contraception, as in your suggestion
    • Sex is arguably not a necessity other than for the purposes for reproduction (in which case you dont need contraception) but that is a completely different debate. Haha.

• Possibility for more uneducated young adults leaving school with few/no GCSEs
    • Arguably this isn't fair on 15 year olds as law would permit them to have done this and they may become stuck not being able to reach their academic/vocational potential due to commitments to their child.
    • Also the possibility of more reliance on 'the system' as a result of this. Taxpayer would foot the bill.

Pros
  • Freedom to do what you want?
  • better understanding
  • less teenage pregnancy due to more awareness and contraception

I think we can both agree this is a very subjective debate, however I try to look at it objectively. I can see more opportunities for problems than benefits as a result of this.

Even if contraception was provided and education was provided, this is not 100% safe and some young people will surely slip through the net and will become pregnant.

I am checking now (I am not a 100% sure) but I believe there might be a correlation between low HDI and lower ages of consent.
It is a subjective debate, but I've added extra points in bold.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
...but it also ruins things for the girls that want genuine, decent guys, instead of guys that see them as sperm depositories.
Maybe those girls should look at themselves. But I think lowering the age of consent has no advantages, it will only force children to grow up even faster and that can only be a bad thing. Sexualisation of children is a problem which should be addressed, not made worse by stupid overly liberal laws which plainly have not been considered properly.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
What, at 13? ****ing hell. :eek:
Have you not seen that happen? It was a regular occurrence at my school...surely you must have heard of stuff like that happening?
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you not seen that happen? It was a regular occurrence at my school...surely you must have heard of stuff like that happening?
Still in Year 8 for Pete's sake! I hadn't even had any nicotine or alcohol by then let alone sex!
smudge_moon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they lowered it to 15 then better education should be put in place about it.

I was just taught that sex lead to pregnancy in loving couples and people didn't get pregnant if they used contraception. It should be taught that contraception isn't 100%, you can't rely on it. If you aren't able to deal with the concequences of having sex then you should not be having it. They need to find out that having a baby isn't just cute and cuddles all the time. The baby has needs and if you go out every weekend drinking Lambrini and spar's own brand cider down the park and get in a state that you can't look after yourself, guess what? You shouldn't have a baby.

There should at least be a video of the truth of teen mothers. How they've had to grow up suddenly, they can't go out every night with their friends and they have to make sacrifices such as their education, life and money.

It's not all happy smiles, its lovely being a mother/father, but it should be when you are ready and able to provide for that child.

I know that young girls will get pregnant, but they need to be properly taught about it before the age reduction is even considered.
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aisha lost hers when she was 8.
zebra_fish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there would be no advantage in lowering it whatsoever, it would just be expensive and time consuming. And to all those people who insist there shouldn't be one at all don't you realise it's to protect children from paedophiles - imagine if a 12 year old was groomed by a 40 year old and had sex with them but nothing could be done about it because it was 'consensual'
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 01Chris02)
I think the age of consent should be the age at which a person has shown themselves to be mature enough to fully comprehend sex and the consequences of unsafe/unprotected sex.

I believe obtaining a basic, compulsory education is one the best and only indicators of this. I think this is why '16' is the age chosen by many countries, such as many of the states in the US.

However, there are other points to consider. If teenagers currently have sex at 15 - only a year before the current age - and if the age of consent was then lowered to 15, would this not logically suggest that more 14 year olds would have sex? It would after all only be a year?

I don't know about you but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a bunch of 14/15 year olds having sex and possibly not understanding the consequences. :P
I think this a complete myth.

I don't believe lots of people have sex at 15 because it's 'only a year' until they're legal.

I believe lots of people have sex at 15 (and probably fewer at 14, and even fewer at 13) because they have gone through puberty and have sexual urges. Most people are perfectly aware that 16 is rather later than you might expect sexual impulses to start.

If 'kids' have the opportunity to have sex and they happen to have sexual urges then they're most likely going to do it.

I don't think the age of consent should be lowered though. It genuinely is just there to protect vulnerable teens from predators. I definitely think we need a secondary law to legalise (and yes, normalise) sex between younger teens. That way society as a whole can stop being so bloody scandalised all the time and get used to the fact that young people do have sex, so that when we then put a lot more funds into providing access to contraception and advice, the people trying to help won't immediately get shouted down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
17.42%
The paper was reasonable (150)
48.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (68)
21.94%
It was TERRIBLE (38)
12.26%

Watched Threads