Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frannoooooooo)
    Thankss for your reply, I was actually juggling with the thought of taking Physics. It's probably my favourite out of the sciences. I know chemistry is highly respected but I honestly really don't like it I find it a bit mundane. Biology doesn't buzz me either so IF I were to do a science it would be Physics. Does psychology have any links to philosophy? This is another subject I was considering but I do realise it's seen as a 'soft' A level.
    Ya theres nothing wrong with physics its still a great option and probably your best 4th if u enjoy it the most out of the sciences.
    Psychology does link a bit with philosophy by thinking about the way we think about things howevever they differ in approaching problems. You could bring psychol into philisophy but you can also find they disagree on some things. They both look at individual behaviour and circumstances but philosophy may scale it up: its more about the idea and 'why not?' While phsychol may give a solution to why someone behaved the way they did. Hope this makes a little sense.
    Both interesting, sorry I dont know much else about them and hard to explain
    Enjoy whatever u pick though
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    I would go for one, you are confident to get a high grade in. I can't see any advantage in taking Physics, unless you prefer it. Psychology wouldn't be such a good choice, as it relates less, but depending on where you want to end up, it might be not as bad. (Business studies is somehow related in some areas, as e.g. human resources.) Philosophy might be a bit risky, because it might be difficult to predict, how good you will be, but otherwise it is a very academic and respected subject. Further Math depends on your abilities and of course wether the teaching suits you, but don't look to much at what others might not achieve.

Anyway, what subjects are you able to take?
    I suppose there's no advantage in taking Physics but in my opinion its the best of the ones I have left to choose from. Excluding the ones I take, these are the A levels left available to me:

Art (Fine)
    Art (Graphic Communication)
    Art (Digital)
    Business Studies
    Dance
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Geography
    ICT
    Media
    P.E
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Spanish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamMcMorrow)
    Philosophy and ethics.
    Why do people keep suggesting ones I said my school doesn't offer ahah I can't do Philosophy! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frannoooooooo)
    Why do people keep suggesting ones I said my school doesn't offer ahah I can't do Philosophy! :rolleyes:
    Because there have been no list? I agree, Physics seems a good option, regarding the others available. But to be save look at the requirements of the courses you are considering, to not miss out some important A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Because there have been no list? I agree, Physics seems a good option, regarding the others available. But to be save look at the requirements of the courses you are considering, to not miss out some important A Level.
    There should be a list above your post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)
    There should be a list above your post

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which was posted after the post, which was critized by the Thread Starter.

ReputationRep:
    I stated in my original post that my school doesn't offer philosophy, politics or economics, posting a list of available subjects wouldn't of made any difference..

ReputationRep:
    If you don't hate mathematics and have some interest in the physical sciences, take Physics. I certainly love Chemistry more than Physics (even more at A-Level) but I have to say that Physics can be very interesting if you love science. I didn't like Physics at first but now I love the subject a lot. The mathematical parts (at least at AS Level) are quite easy if you've done some practice. So if you find that you really don't enjoy Physics at AS Level, then you can choose to drop it and it'd still look good on your uni application (assuming you got an A, and are not planning to do a science degree).

Edit:
    Just saw your list. Try to consider Geography or English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    If you don't hate mathematics and have some interest in the physical sciences, take Physics. I certainly love Chemistry more than Physics (even more at A-Level) but I have to say that Physics can be very interesting if you love science. I didn't like Physics at first but now I love the subject a lot. The mathematical parts (at least at AS Level) are quite easy if you've done some practice. So if you find that you really don't enjoy Physics at AS Level, then you can choose to drop it and it'd still look good on your uni application (assuming you got an A, and are not planning to do a science degree).

Edit:
    Just saw your list. Try to consider Geography or English Lit.
    I really dislike English literature and Geography, plus I already have 2 Essay/Writing based subjects so I'd probably prefer to go for a Science subject to create a balance. Physics is looking good at the moment, it's definitely my favourite physical science.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.