Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    A lot of people aren't even in education on this site, do you want to make it only exclusive to those who are in education?

I'm not in education, I'm on a gap year but will be going to uni next year, what happens to people like me?
    I don't, but that does seem to be the way the site is going. For the record, I'm not currently in education either. As I said, the odds are the majority will have at least one out of uni/college emails/facebook/twitter/etc.

And, ultimately, they asked for ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I don't, but that does seem to be the way the site is going. For the record, I'm not currently in education either. As I said, the odds are the majority will have at least one out of uni/college emails/facebook/twitter/etc.

And, ultimately, they asked for ideas.
    That might work for new signups, as long as those of us that have been on here a long time don't have to use a uni/college email. I haven't been a student for years but I was when I signed up in 2008

The site is a good resource for all kinds of things for young people, even those who aren't in the education system anymore. I think there's a decent number of signups from non-students.

ReputationRep:
    We have anonymity on this site, both in terms of our usernames and the actual anonymous feature - people should be encouraged to use them. Don't give out personal details that can identify you in real life, nor details that you would feel uncomfortable talking about on here. The exception to the last point is of course using the anonymous feature to ask for help or advice, and that's dependent on your trust of the moderators and upwards here who I assume can tell who wrote it.

Those features, plus common sense for personal details and a thick skin that you're going to have to grow over your life anyway for personal opinions, make TSR easily safe enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Cyber bullying is normally accompanied by real life bullying is it not? Teach kids to log off Facebook and Twitter, go to the gym, and bloody the nose of a bully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so to prevent cyber bullying the bullied must bully the bully.

ReputationRep:
    So why the hell say:

?
    I didn't say you tackle every dispute with violence. The issue of bullying, can easily be solved with showing some physical dominance over the bully. Tried and tested.

Of course, this approach does not work for all and cannot work for all. I recognise and respect that, but that doesn't mean you should entirely discredit (you haven't explicitly said that but I think you're implying it) the option of violence.

My comment about 'bloodying the nose' was tongue in cheek, I didn't literally mean that was the specific solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    I don't see why the victim of bullying would become a bully. I see it as self defence, active defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by IanDangerously)
    at the end of the day it's the internet, don't take it seriously.

The way to avoid being affected by cyber bullying is simple - never write anything in a public forum that you wouldn't want anybody to be able to hold against you
    If only we could make everyone think like this!

(Original post by Hopple)
    We have anonymity on this site, both in terms of our usernames and the actual anonymous feature - people should be encouraged to use them. Don't give out personal details that can identify you in real life, nor details that you would feel uncomfortable talking about on here. The exception to the last point is of course using the anonymous feature to ask for help or advice, and that's dependent on your trust of the moderators and upwards here who I assume can tell who wrote it.

Those features, plus common sense for personal details and a thick skin that you're going to have to grow over your life anyway for personal opinions, make TSR easily safe enough.
    For what it's worth even then this is only disclosed on a "need to know" basis. I'm a Careers moderator and I still see H&R etc. anonymous posters as anonymous; it's very rare indeed that I see someone's actual identity next to their name. Even then it's usually because it's in the mod queue and is in the bin, which is an area that all mods "mod". What I'm trying to say is that only moderators with powers in that section can see your username next to an anonymous post.

This doesn't undermine your point entirely, but hopefully it's reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    Bring back neg reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Oh and I've mentioned this before but I think the ignore feature needs to be improved.

It should be closer to the "Block" feature on twitter.

At the moment if I add someone to my ignore list they can see that I've ignored them but THEY continue to see my posts. If they quote me then I don't know if that shows in the WQM widget/notifications but it's visible in the thread.

This seems to do the opposite to what is required if you feel someone is harassing you - when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see YOUR posts or quote them or PM you or leave visitor messages....and if they manually quote you in order to continue to harass you even though it's clear you want no interaction then they should be given substantial warning points/banned.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    The exception to the last point is of course using the anonymous feature to ask for help or advice, and that's dependent on your trust of the moderators and upwards here who I assume can tell who wrote it.
    We never de anon a post, no matter what, it's something we take really seriously. Section mods can only see the identity of anon posters in their section of the site, so while I can see who someone is in health, I can't elsewhere on the site. We have nothing to gain from disclosing someone's identity here, there's quite a few of us who are either studying to work in professions or work in professions where we know how important confidentiality is and understand the implications to people if that is broken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    I don't see why the victim of bullying would become a bully. I see it as self defence, active defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see several issues with this. First it seems to be an overreaction. They say something and the response is to physically attack them. Whilst it is active defence it seems to be a bit overboard (in most cases). What if the bully is physically stronger than the victim take the trouble into the physical world may only make things worse for the person. What about several bullies.

But back to the main issue is that i would define bullying as using physical strength or influence to harm or intimidate somebody. So the victim of bullying would, by intimidating the bully, become themselves a bullying.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything in requiring someone to register/link their account to a facebook/other personal site so as to prove they are a single real person? Nothing on their profile or for other people to access and nothing that could impinge on their anonymity on this site, but could help put an end to multiple accounts/spam accounts.

Or in some way instigate a twitter-ish 'blue tick' for people who have signed up with real names?
    How would that actually stop someone from bullying or harassing them though? Sure the admins would then know the real name of the person but then what? Give their name to the police? That's the very most they could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    How would that actually stop someone from bullying or harassing them though? Sure the admins would then know the real name of the person but then what? Give their name to the police? That's the very most they could do.
    I am more concerned personally that freedom of speech is protected. "Bully" is often used as a insult to silence opponents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Bring back neg reps.
    That wouldn't stop or prevent cyber bulling at all.

(Original post by garfeeled)
    What if the bully that bullies the bully then becomes the bully? Who bullies the bully then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    I am more concerned personally that freedom of speech is protected. "Bully" is often used as a insult to silence opponents.
    The word may be thrown around but I'm fairly confident the powers that be on this site would be able to use their common sense to separate the genuine accusations and the name calling.

ReputationRep:
    The word may be thrown around but I'm fairly confident the powers that be on this site would be able to use their common sense to separate the genuine accusations and the name calling.
    I remain concerned. Moderators are only humans after all and may be tempted to be more sympathetic to an ideological stance they adhere to in a debate and therefore in a move between banning either, will misuse their powers. I do not particularly like trusting any authorities with excessive powers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really...

ReputationRep:
    What if the bully that bullies the bully then becomes the bully? Who bullies the bully then?
    Someone else must and will, in order to complete the karmic circle of bullying. Otherwise the universe will collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extremotroph)
    Someone else must and will, in order to complete the karmic circle of bullying. Otherwise the universe will collapse.
    Not all bullies are cowards. What happens if the victims attempts to stand up to the bully and gets demolished?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.