Tips and stories on first day of university? Watch

Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Move in, mum cries, parents leave. Go to a buffet for roughly 15 minutes before everyone got up and left because it was ****, man on the mic left standing all alone as everyone in the room had vacated, poor man. Go out to buy tickets for freshers events. Go to foam party, i'm very introverted and had never been clubbing before and i initially hated it so i ended up leaving after 30 minutes before the foam even started coming in.

Spoiler:
Show
Few weeks later i went out to a club again, absolutely loved it despite being teetotal and now i go out a lot. looove it!
Ruffiio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LukeyJB)
Don't do what my flatmate did and hug my other flatmate's mum thinking that she's also a flatmate.
Don't you go UClan, Sir?
IndiaCaitlinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My first day wasn't bad.
I got there and was one of the first to arrive. My Mum, Dad, Sister and I got all the stuff up to my room, my Dad didn't stick around and left after we'd got everything up. I took some cakes with me and left them on the table with a note to my flatmates saying to help themselves. My Mum, Sister and I then went about putting everything away, decorating the room (I have a whole wall covered in photos) then we went food shopping, had lunch, came back and they left. We all cried a little bit and I felt a bit lost after they left but I live with 15 other people so I just went out into the kitchen and waited for people to come in and had a chat with them, by the evening we were all pretty chilled out and had a fair few drinks! It was scary but you have instant friends when you move in to halls! Took me about 2 weeks to get used to it and then I kind of stopped being so homesick.
SaFa1237
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
I took TSR's advice a bit too literally. I dutifully kept my door open, put some safe music on, made sure I had a plentiful supply of biccies and booze.

I was the first one to move into our flat, the first people who arrived, I was so primed to be in 'flatmate meeting mode' that I shook their hands, reeling off my (rehearsed) intro to myself, and then asked them what courses they were on, where were they from, etc.

When I finally let them get a word in edgeways, they told me they were the wardens. :ashamed2:
OMG this is epic! Made me laugh a lot, I kid you not. :')
LukeyJB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruffiio)
Don't you go UClan, Sir?
Why yes, I do. Do I know you?
hollo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The first time I went to uni (hahah), about half our floor moved into halls on the Saturday and the other half on the Sunday - it was pretty good this way because it meant we could all get to know each other instead of suddenly choosing groups. That night we went to an event in the cafe/bar in the halls complex which was mostly just a few chilled drinks then went back and chatted in our kitchen. Nothing wild and some of those people are still my friends now.

The second time, I was living in a private flat with a friend so I didn't know anybody at all before I went to the subject welcome talks. Just speak to everyone!! Seriously, chat to the person sat next to you in the lecture theatre. The more people you recognise, the more comfortable you'll become and a little small talk means you'll have a few friendly faces when it comes to your first lectures and tutorials. A girl I spoke to on the first day was in all my first year modules and we became good friends. Don't worry that not living in halls will hold you back from making friends, you just need to make a different kind of effort to most people.
demiroux
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by James A)
Mine was actually a subdued one, because it hit me hard that I was actually moving away from home. When my parents said goodbye after helping me unpack a little, I finished unpacking my clothes and was waiting for the first person to arrive (I was the first one to arrive in my flat).

We all spoke on fb beforehand so we knew roughly who to see. I had my door shut all the while because there was no door stopper. As soon as I heard the first person to arrive, I had to take a deep breath, open my door and take the walk of courage to the kitchen (where my flatmate was with her mum) to meet. Was very awkward but after a minute or so of talking to my flatmate and mum, I felt kind of at ease!

Then the other four flatmates came one by one within an hours space, met them all while they were unpacking in their room.

For the night though, we were doing shots and invited the next door flat over for a house party! Oh yeah and one of my flatmates threw up outside, hahaha.

To sum up, it's a very nervous moment, but once you get over that 'barrier', then you will feel at ease.
I don't know why but this post makes me happy. It's so cool to know that you made friends immediately. Hope it's like that for me!
Ruffiio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why yes, I do. Do I know you?

I have been watching you very closely the past few days. I'm coming to get you.

Spoiler:
Show
I go UClan, what course you on?
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Party hard, but stay safe.
LukeyJB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been watching you very closely the past few days. I'm coming to get you.

Spoiler:
Show
I go UClan, what course you on?
Well, what are you waiting for

Spoiler:
Show
Law! I'm at Liberty Village, are you in halls?
Ruffiio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, what are you waiting for

Spoiler:
Show
Law! I'm at Liberty Village, are you in halls?
Ribble 4 life
LukeyJB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ribble 4 life
I'm intrigued as to how you know about my flatmate
Ruffiio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm intrigued as to how you know about my flatmate

I don't. I just remember you posting in the UClan section of the student room prior to September if i recall correctly. I do History and Politics by the way.

Spoiler:
Show
LukeyJB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't. I just remember you posting in the UClan section of the student room prior to September if i recall correctly. I do History and Politics by the way.

Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show
I don't believe you, you must be someone I know. Facebook link?
Mocking_bird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Arrived at about midday on a sunday with my dad, got the key to my room and unpacked, had a little walk around campus/drink at uni bar as it was a really sunny day and I wasnt quite ready for my dad to leave yet.

Dad left at about 3pm, went downstairs and everyone was just on the grass outside our halls getting to know each other (i'm in catered halls so we don't have flats and such so there was no set group of people to get to know) - i just gathered up the courage to go up to a group of 10 or so and introduce myself and now that group are my best friends! From then on, we went to go see each others rooms and all exchanged numbers, met a few other people along the way and had little chats with them.

Then the rest of the day/night was just spent chatting and getting to know each other, most people avoided alcohol for the first night... but monday night is when it all started!

Another tip for freshers is... if you've never been to a club before and are thinking that you'll hate them... just give it a go and you'll probably enjoy yourself - theyre not as bad as some people make them out to be. Before i came to uni i was all "im not going out to any clubs blahlblahblah" but I ended up going to most of the freshers nights and really really enjoyed them and still go to them now
Ohmydog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mocking_bird)
Arrived at about midday on a sunday with my dad, got the key to my room and unpacked, had a little walk around campus/drink at uni bar as it was a really sunny day and I wasnt quite ready for my dad to leave yet.

Dad left at about 3pm, went downstairs and everyone was just on the grass outside our halls getting to know each other (i'm in catered halls so we don't have flats and such so there was no set group of people to get to know) - i just gathered up the courage to go up to a group of 10 or so and introduce myself and now that group are my best friends! From then on, we went to go see each others rooms and all exchanged numbers, met a few other people along the way and had little chats with them.

Then the rest of the day/night was just spent chatting and getting to know each other, most people avoided alcohol for the first night... but monday night is when it all started!

Another tip for freshers is... if you've never been to a club before and are thinking that you'll hate them... just give it a go and you'll probably enjoy yourself - theyre not as bad as some people make them out to be. Before i came to uni i was all "im not going out to any clubs blahlblahblah" but I ended up going to most of the freshers nights and really really enjoyed them and still go to them now
Thank you for your story. It did put a smile on my face, because it seems to have given me a change of thought!
I always tell myself when I go to University next year, I'm never EVER going to go clubbing. Currently, I've never drunk (never plan to either) and I don't go to parties. But from your tips and experience, you seem to be extremely happy. I really wish to do the same! Just gotta gather enough courage
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.2%
The paper was reasonable (394)
42.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.18%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.16%

Watched Threads