Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    StayFocused is the way forward. I understand your situation It blocks all websites you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinator10)
    Dont worry, just try your best at your A levels and try to do as much work experience, volunteering etc as possible to make your application stand out. They really aren't that bad! If you really want something you can get it
    Hehe, thanks.
    If there's a will, there's a way!

ReputationRep:
    Well, here is the issue:
    I started my A Levels in September with the plan to be so motivated and do things when they need doing. However, this kind of hasn't worked out...
    I know this is my own fault but I'm just the biggest procrastinator in the universe. I am determined to get good grades and tell myself every day that I won't be successful if I don't put in the effort now. But even this doesn't motivate me.
    Anyway, I feel the main reason for my procrastination (actually, probably the only reason) is the internet. I am on it practically every second of the day that I am at home. Even when I do decide to do work, I'll realise I need it for research, which is fine but I'll end up going on Facebook and YouTube etc instead. My parents constantly tell me off for being on the internet ALL. THE. TIME. And it's even making me slightly depressed but for some reason I still carry on doing it?
    So I guess what I'm asking here are several questions. How much time do you spend on the internet? Do you think if I carry on the way I'm going I can still achieve good grades? (I can guess the answer to that last one) and how do you keep focused on work and NOT the internet? :confused:

(p.s. I am aware this is quite a hilarious post to make)
    I procrastinated like no other in my first year of A-levels and still managed to ramage up some decent results. I still procrastinate now, but don't doubt my abilities.

I think you should set up a time-table though and dedicate yourself to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    StayFocused is the way forward. I understand your situation It blocks all websites you choose.
    Ohh, I will have to try that out, thank you!

(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    I procrastinated like no other in my first year of A-levels and still managed to ramage up some decent results. I still procrastinate now, but don't doubt my abilities.

I think you should set up a time-table though and dedicate yourself to it.
    Ohh really? I don't doubt my abilities either! I know I can do it if I really try. Just the trying bit I get stuck at and oh yes! We were all made to set up one at the start of sixth form...but yes, I haven't really stuck to it. I am determined to change this though, I CAN DO THIS. This just got way too dramatic.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, I will have to try that out, thank you!

Ohh really? I don't doubt my abilities either! I know I can do it if I really try. Just the trying bit I get stuck at and oh yes! We were all made to set up one at the start of sixth form...but yes, I haven't really stuck to it. I am determined to change this though, I CAN DO THIS. This just got way too dramatic.
    Really and truly, it's not about how much time you spend revising but the quality in which you revise and learn. I guess being the lazy person I am I have better efficiency in terms of quality and therefore am able to free up some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Really and truly, it's not about how much time you spend revising but the quality in which you revise and learn. I guess being the lazy person I am I have better efficiency in terms of quality and therefore am able to free up some time.
    Ah, okay. Well this has given me some hope aha Let's just hope I can revise effectively

ReputationRep:
    Well, here is the issue:
    I started my A Levels in September with the plan to be so motivated and do things when they need doing. However, this kind of hasn't worked out...
    I know this is my own fault but I'm just the biggest procrastinator in the universe. I am determined to get good grades and tell myself every day that I won't be successful if I don't put in the effort now. But even this doesn't motivate me.
    Anyway, I feel the main reason for my procrastination (actually, probably the only reason) is the internet. I am on it practically every second of the day that I am at home. Even when I do decide to do work, I'll realise I need it for research, which is fine but I'll end up going on Facebook and YouTube etc instead. My parents constantly tell me off for being on the internet ALL. THE. TIME. And it's even making me slightly depressed but for some reason I still carry on doing it?
    So I guess what I'm asking here are several questions. How much time do you spend on the internet? Do you think if I carry on the way I'm going I can still achieve good grades? (I can guess the answer to that last one) and how do you keep focused on work and NOT the internet? :confused:

(p.s. I am aware this is quite a hilarious post to make)
    What A levels are you doing and what kind of research? o.O

Maybe set yourself targets to finish some A level work before you even think about booting up the computer! Then continue with "research" after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    What A levels are you doing and what kind of research? o.O

Maybe set yourself targets to finish some A level work before you even think about booting up the computer! Then continue with "research" after.
    I take Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. Ahah, I do do research, honestly I just mean for homework, or something I don't understand in my notes.
    But thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE][QUOTE=Procrastinator10;45217130]Well, here is the issue:

You were EXACTLY like me when I started in September. I only done homework and very little revision even though i'm doing maths, physics, further maths and chemistry. However after a few end of chapter assessments I realized my grades were dropping instead of gaining so I started to revise more and more. Now I spend MUCH LESS time on the internet and more time revising.

Now normally I come home at school days around 4:30 to 5 and go on the internet till like 7. Then I revise for 1.5- 2 hours then go on internet again for another 30 mins or watch TV and sleep.
    you should buy revision books for your subjects and my parents also complain I spend too much time on the internet.
    I had a facebook account since like 2008 so i'm bored of it but I spend like 95% of my time on Twitter/YouTube.
    AND you will NEVER get the results you want if you continue like this.

ReputationRep:
    I take Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. Ahah, I do do research, honestly I just mean for homework, or something I don't understand in my notes.
    But thank you for the advice
    Ahh, I see.
    Well in that case, only go on when as you're going through note making at that point if you don't understand something. At least then you're more likely to get back to work after finding out what it is you needed.

Give yourself achievable targets when you get back home for the evening and try to complete them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    You were EXACTLY like me when I started in September. I only done homework and very little revision even though i'm doing maths, physics, further maths and chemistry. However after a few end of chapter assessments I realized my grades were dropping instead of gaining so I started to revise more and more. Now I spend MUCH LESS time on the internet and more time revising.

Now normally I come home at school days around 4:30 to 5 and go on the internet till like 7. Then I revise for 1.5- 2 hours then go on internet again for another 30 mins or watch TV and sleep.
    you should buy revision books for your subjects and my parents also complain I spend too much time on the internet.
    I had a facebook account since like 2008 so i'm bored of it but I spend like 95% of my time on Twitter/YouTube.
    AND you will NEVER get the results you want if you continue like this.
    oh wow, such difficult A levels! And I'm doing fine in end of unit assessments, I just always feel like I'm lacking independent studying majorlllllly. That's a good routine and yes, I will definitely buy revision books! Ahaha I'm exactly the same. It's far too addicting..
    I think as soon as I get a routine in place and actually stick to it, I will feel better
    thanks for the advice!

Ahh, I see.
    Well in that case, only go on when as you're going through note making at that point if you don't understand something. At least then you're more likely to get back to work after finding out what it is you needed.

Give yourself achievable targets when you get back home for the evening and try to complete them!
    Yes, that is a good point
    and I will try to do this! Most people say I need a routine/timetable so I think I'll start by sticking to one!
    What A levels do/did you do?

ReputationRep:

Yes, that is a good point
    and I will try to do this! Most people say I need a routine/timetable so I think I'll start by sticking to one!
    What A levels do/did you do?
    Yep, I found making a 8-12 week timetable where the columns were days, (12 rows) where a row was a week, and then sub plitting each row into 3 of "Morning, Afternoon and evening" helps. Put in the exam dates and get preparing, you see how it comes on you quite quickly and feel the need to do something about it.

I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Computing

And computing involved a lot of computer time so that "research" ( ) could get in the way sometimes :P

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I found making a 8-12 week timetable where the columns were days, (12 rows) where a row was a week, and then sub plitting each row into 3 of "Morning, Afternoon and evening" helps. Put in the exam dates and get preparing, you see how it comes on you quite quickly and feel the need to do something about it.

I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Computing

And computing involved a lot of computer time so that "research" ( ) could get in the way sometimes :P
    Ohhh wow, that would be very useful! And yes I can imagine, so glad there are no longer any January exams although I'm probably going to want to kill myself in the summer
    and oh my, how did you survive?! Ahahah, I am serious!

ReputationRep:
    oh wow, such difficult A levels! And I'm doing fine in end of unit assessments, I just always feel like I'm lacking independent studying majorlllllly. That's a good routine and yes, I will definitely buy revision books! Ahaha I'm exactly the same. It's far too addicting..
    I think as soon as I get a routine in place and actually stick to it, I will feel better
    thanks for the advice!

thanks
    And what subjects are you doing and what grades do you want?
    I have like 4 youtube tabs open while typing this lol

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh wow, that would be very useful! And yes I can imagine, so glad there are no longer any January exams although I'm probably going to want to kill myself in the summer
    and oh my, how did you survive?! Ahahah, I am serious!
    Haha :P

Yes, January exams actually helped as I managed to finish off a bulk of the A level other than the coursework! (Which also ate into Easter time). So that was computing done by then!

For the other subjects, I made colour coded notes on everything, and I advise you start on note making early!

Colour coded like, green for titles and equations, red for key words about to be defined, blue for important notes, black for text and pencil for extra notes
    Mutlicoloured pen was useful!!

So I managed to do maths and physics as they were relatively short, but chem and bio weren't gonna cut it (as I may have started late on them ), so they became learning from the notes and using recommended exam board specific revision books/guides. (Both chem and bio, they were really helpful!!)

So yea, managed to survive and still have a good time in 6th form. Pool and poker games were awesome

ReputationRep:
    Haha :P

Yes, January exams actually helped as I managed to finish off a bulk of the A level other than the coursework! (Which also ate into Easter time). So that was computing done by then!

For the other subjects, I made colour coded notes on everything, and I advise you start on note making early!

Colour coded like, green for titles and equations, red for key words about to be defined, blue for important notes, black for text and pencil for extra notes
    Mutlicoloured pen was useful!!

So I managed to do maths and physics as they were relatively short, but chem and bio weren't gonna cut it (as I may have started late on them ), so they became learning from the notes and using recommended exam board specific revision books/guides. (Both chem and bio, they were really helpful!!)

So yea, managed to survive and still have a good time in 6th form. Pool and poker games were awesome
    Oh wow, that's good then! Yes, I just got my first bit of chemistry coursework back - I was so surprised we started it so early?!
    And ohhh, that does sound very organised! That must have taken you quite a while to do aha
    But I would say I take pride in my notes (this is how sad my life is).
    Also, did you use the cgp books?

Ah, well I'm glad you managed to still maintain a social life!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, that's good then! Yes, I just got my first bit of chemistry coursework back - I was so surprised we started it so early?!
    And ohhh, that does sound very organised! That must have taken you quite a while to do aha
    But I would say I take pride in my notes (this is how sad my life is).
    Also, did you use the cgp books?

Ah, well I'm glad you managed to still maintain a social life!
    Thanks!

I didn't use the cgp ones (although maybe a bit for a unit of chem in conjunction with another book), I had a wjec bio book and an aqa chemistry one for each unit. Written by the examiners/ex examiners so they were pretty specific in all their content to what mark schemes like

Yes, notes had to be neat and it was a pain because I wanted to organise the layout before I started writing, which I could only do after I had the topic finished, but then that was my downfall in chem and bio as I procrastinated with them and it became overwhelming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)

thanks
    And what subjects are you doing and what grades do you want?
    I have like 4 youtube tabs open while typing this lol
    I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology and my target is a B, but I would like an A in at least one ahaha, I haven't been on YouTube yet! This is an achievement yey

Thanks!

I didn't use the cgp ones (although maybe a bit for a unit of chem in conjunction with another book), I had a wjec bio book and an aqa chemistry one for each unit. Written by the examiners/ex examiners so they were pretty specific in all their content to what mark schemes like

Yes, notes had to be neat and it was a pain because I wanted to organise the layout before I started writing, which I could only do after I had the topic finished, but then that was my downfall in chem and bio as I procrastinated with them and it became overwhelming!
    Ah okay, pretty much everyone in my class has the CGP ones, so I'm going to get them and look for others like the one you mentioned
    Oh no ahah, you sound like a bit of a perfectionist to me (not a bad thing!)

ReputationRep:

Ah okay, pretty much everyone in my class has the CGP ones, so I'm going to get them and look for others like the one you mentioned
    Oh no ahah, you sound like a bit of a perfectionist to me (not a bad thing!)
    Definitely!
    Haha, they still come in handy now at rare times!

Good luck with your work!

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally the same. I only get any work done when i force myself to go to a library

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.