Why are people gay? Watch

alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
How is he a ****?
Because this is a thread about how people become homosexual and the first thing he can think of is "HURRRDURRR PEDOS".

It's a bit annoying how it seems whenever there's a conversation about this there's always one person who compares it to paedophilia.

That's why he's a ****.
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by luckylaurax)
I think PeaceTreaty meant that people are biologically geared towards the opposite sex so that we can reproduce. So what changes this from happening? Why are they geared towards the same gender?
(Original post by alow)
That is the exact opposite. :facepalm2:
"In classical Freudian psychoanalytic theory, child's identification with the same-sex parent is the successful resolution of the Oedipus complex and of the Electra complex; key psychological experiences that are necessary for the development of a mature sexual role and identity. Sigmund Freud further proposed that boys and girls experience the complexes differently: boys in a form of castration anxiety, girls in a form of penis envy; and that unsuccessful resolution of the complexes might lead to neurosis, paedophilia, and homosexuality."
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Because this is a thread about how people become homosexual and the first thing he can think of is "HURRRDURRR PEDOS".

It's a bit annoying how it seems whenever there's a conversation about this there's always one person who compares it to paedophilia.

That's why he's a ****.
I don't see why that's a problem. There's increasing evidence to suggest paedophilia is a sexual orientation as much as homosexuality and heterosexuality. The only reason I think you're getting annoyed at this is because you see it as a stab at homosexuality by grouping it with something which is widely condemned when in actual fact all he's done is say that the there is similarity.
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not straight.

I don't know how it came to be this way.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
I don't see why that's a problem. There's increasing evidence to suggest paedophilia is a sexual orientation as much as homosexuality and heterosexuality. The only reason I think you're getting annoyed at this is because you see it as a stab at homosexuality by grouping it with something which is widely condemned when in actual fact all he's done is say that the there is similarity.
It's not because paedophilia is widely condemned it's just that paedophilia always seems to be the example people jump straight to, when there are so many other examples such as sociopathy, mechanophilia, etc.
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
It's not because paedophilia is widely condemned it's just that paedophilia always seems to be the example people jump straight to, when there are so many other examples such as sociopathy, mechanophilia, etc.
Sociopathy is a bit different to homosexuality. Paedophilia, polygamy and incest just happen to be the closest forms of comparison.
Crimsonyte
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's think about it: Why are people straight? People are straight because it means that on a selfish genetic level, genes will be passed down to offspring. However, being homosexual is not penalised by natural selection, in the past where if would not benefit the passing of the genes. Homosexuality has been with humans for a long time, and it doesn't seem to be anything to do with genetics. It can't be a social factor. Back in the days when people condemned gays, there would be an opposite bias, a social skew towards being straight right? I'm tending to agree with the earlier poster about the epigenetic theory of sexual orientation. I feel that perhaps variation in the methylation patterns in humans during differentiation might have a profound impact on orientation. But perhaps I'm wrong, it's very confusing!
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Sociopathy is a bit different to homosexuality. Paedophilia, polygamy and incest just happen to be the closest forms of comparison.
I'd hardly say that polygamy and incest are similar to homosexuality, they're nothing like it. Homosexuality being the attraction to members of the same gender and incest being sexual relations between closely related individuals, they're nothing alike at all.
vendettax
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Men are gay because they realise they are more naturally beautiful, more loyal, more intelligent, richer etc.

Women are fashionably gay, and if you go to a gay bar you could pull a lesbian chick as a hetero guy quicker than you could pull a gay guy as a hetero girl.
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
I'd hardly say that polygamy and incest are similar to homosexuality, they're nothing like it. Homosexuality being the attraction to members of the same gender and incest being sexual relations between closely related individuals, they're nothing alike at all.
Yes they are, they're comparable by the unitary sexual attraction which causes people to feel turned on, be they gay or straight; however, sexual orientation is being re-examined than simply the tripartite concept of gay, bi, straight; in that instance, paedophilia and incest may emerge as new sexual orientations.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Most of the time I don't like what you have to say but I agree with you on this.

People are too absobed by connotations rather than denigrations. Categorically, homosexuality and pedophilia are similar because they are both an orientation.

The problem lies with the tendency for pedophilia to subject vulnerable children to sexual acts which can permanently scar them, or ruining the 'purity' of children which shouldn't be giving off signals of sexual availability until such an age that they are able to reproduce; of you see 'sexy' where there ain't any for most people it is 'wrong'. Children are meant to be innocent.

The negative connotations attached to pedophilia are child abuse. As a victim myself I do NOT condone it but UNDERSTAND how and why some people are more attracted to children. That is if it's not just a power trip for them.

There are plenty of people out there who are attracted to things they shouldn't be. Because they may be objects and not people, there's less inclination to vilify them for fetishising 'innocent' objects rather than giggling at them. Interestingly these 'innocent' thins like cars are often shaped to play on what we're attracted to, like feminine curves. Is thinking about using a sex toy paraphilia?

Maybe we ALL have sexy thoughts about things we shouldn't but bury them because 'we shouldnt'
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
Yes they are, they're comparable by the unitary sexual attraction which causes people to feel turned on, be they gay or straight; however, sexual orientation is being re-examined than simply the tripartite concept of gay, bi, straight; in that instance, paedophilia and incest may emerge as new sexual orientations.
It is impossible for incest to be a sexual orientation as incest is an act, not an attaction. Genetic sexual attraction on the other hand I can understand could have similar roots to homosexuality.
Kiss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
It is impossible for incest to be a sexual orientation as incest is an act, not an attaction. Genetic sexual attraction on the other hand I can understand could have similar roots to homosexuality.
But the attraction to your siblings/relatives is still an attraction and not an act until it is acted out. Paedophilia still remains at large as something which may be categorised as a sexual orientation since there is an inability to find sexual appeal with anything other than children.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
But the attraction to your siblings/relatives is still an attraction and not an act until it is acted out. Paedophilia still remains at large as something which may be categorised as a sexual orientation since there is an inability to find sexual appeal with anything other than children.
Having incestuous thoughts \not= incest. Incest itself is not the attraction to relatives, it is the act itself.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Flauta)
The fact that I'm attracted to other men, instead of women?

Nah I'm interested to see if anyone says anything good, would love to know why I am
I thought you were a Lesbian tbh
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
I thought you were a Lesbian tbh
Lol, yeah I have been told that my avatar makes me look like a girl before.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)

That's why he's a ****.
It is perfectly comparable to paedophilia, why shouldn't it be? It's about people finding things attractive that are against the norm :confused:
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJ1012)
It is perfectly comparable to paedophilia, why shouldn't it be? It's about people finding things attractive that are against the norm :confused:
Read the rest of my posts. It's just that paedophilia is always the first thing people compare it to, not the countless other examples.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Read the rest of my posts. It's just that paedophilia is always the first thing people compare it to, not the countless other examples.
It is one of the best examples. :confused:
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJ1012)
It is one of the best examples. :confused:
There are dozens of examples that are just as good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (1)
8.33%
The paper was reasonable (6)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam... (2)
16.67%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
25%

Watched Threads