Hate the way I am :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebeautywithin)
    We'll judge, BRING ON THE NUDES
    so much for thebeautywithin :awesome:

(Original post by CasualSoul)
    Hey it's fine :crown: and you're welcome

hmm I do understand what you're saying when you say you lack interest in other people.Is it sort of like a lot of the time you don't mind being alone and just sort of engrossed in your own thoughts and are not too bothered about what others are getting up to but you are realise that it is important to be interested in others and not just doing things alone even if that is what you prefer? Is that what you mean?

yeah I have :ninja: It has definitely worked though. There are still occasions where those things things occasionally crop up but it has help me a lot.
    Well I like and care about my friends and family but when I am with them I lose interest quickly I think.. I met a friend last week and we were chatting away and then it was quiet for a minute or so and they said 'whats wrong you look either really worried or deep in thought' which makes me feel self conscious about the way I come across to others. And someone said to me a while ago that I am really sweet and innocent and away with the fairies.. I said I am not sure whether that is good or bad and they said it was good. But it just makes me more self concious and feel like people think I am strange or don't like me or something.
    I like spending time with people but I don't feel like engaging in conversation and acting all bubbly and enthuastic like other people. Maybe I just dont care enough about people or maybe it is a severe shyness thing I don't know. sometimes would prefer to be alone and just accept being quiet but this puts me at a disadvantage in this society with work and relationships.

ReputationRep:
    We're all perfectly indifferent from each other, we all have positives, and negatives. Maybe you're just pointing out your negatives? and not your positives? it's so easy to do that, and when you do, it overwhelms you, be positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I like and care about my friends and family but when I am with them I lose interest quickly I think.. I met a friend last week and we were chatting away and then it was quiet for a minute or so and they said 'whats wrong you look either really worried or deep in thought' which makes me feel self conscious about the way I come across to others. And someone said to me a while ago that I am really sweet and innocent and away with the fairies.. I said I am not sure whether that is good or bad and they said it was good. But it just makes me more self concious and feel like people think I am strange or don't like me or something.
    I like spending time with people but I don't feel like engaging in conversation and acting all bubbly and enthuastic like other people. Maybe I just dont care enough about people or maybe it is a severe shyness thing I don't know. sometimes would prefer to be alone and just accept being quiet but this puts me at a disadvantage in this society with work and relationships.
    Hmm I'm not too sure what you can do to address the 'loosing interest quickly bit' because your either interested or not . I don't think you can really forced yourself to be interested if you genuinely aren't really interested. The only thing you can really do is listen carefully and try to ask questions which get them talking more so it appears you are interested so in other words you could try and 'fake it' but that takes a lot of energy and sometimes they might be able to see through it

From what you've said, despite being quiet/engrossed in your own thoughts I don't think you should be that worried. The person who asked you if you were away with the fairies described you as sweet and innocent. If she thought you were strange she would not come near you let alone have a conversation with you. Seriously, it is unlikely that people will not like you because of this. If you still try to make an effort to speak to them (even if the convo does go on for ages) and if you are a pleasant person then I don't see why they would just dislike you or not want to be with you for the reasons you've stated. Also from your responses you clearly have friends and are not a complete loner. The fact you have friends shows you must be a likeable person.

Just wondering, you know when you went quiet for a minute was that because you didn't know what to say next or because you had lost interest and so were thinking about something else? If it was the loosing intrest thing you could focus on practising to maninatain intrest/concentration ..sorry I don't know what else to suggest for this bit

Yeah as you say it does put one at a disadvantage in society. I think in order to not be disadvantaged you just need to try really hard engage in a conversation even when you do not feel like it. You don't have to do this all the time i.e. sometimes you can just stay quiet/ within your own thoughts but at particular times I think you really need to try to make some sort of conversation just so people don't get the wrong end of the stick and think you do not want to speak to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.