The degrees most likely to land you In McDonalds... Watch

DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of the degrees on the list are what I would consider to be useless, however nursing and architecture are not.
I can't see *cough* Biomedical Scienced on there though *cough :moon:
ChemicalBond
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Geography, nursing, history, architechture and psychology...? Okay, that's not a silly list at all... :eyeball: :rolleyes:
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is Geography the worst in terms of job prospects? It is a science, after all (even if on the borderline of natural sciences, from how people speak of it).

Other then that, I mirror what everyone else says in terms of nursing and architecture.

(Original post by kerrydouglas)
I was talking to someone today about this and she mentioned how easy it can be to self-employ with an arts degree whereas with science you need proper facilities. Not sure I agree that it's easier but I definitely think it's a prospect.
What did she mean by "self-employ"? If she meant making art (be it in writing, painting, music, etc) at home then a science graduate could do that too. However, an arts graduate can't work in a lab, which a science graduate (naturally) can.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Now that's why you should take things you see on the web with a pinch of salt!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dada55)
Stupid list. If you want a career in a subject you enjoy, you work hard for it and you will get it.
The UK only has so many murders a year.
Therefore there are only so many crime scene investigators required.
CSI prompted vast numbers of people to get degrees trying do the exciting made up jazz they saw on TV.

The numbers don't work...
Octopus_Garden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
True but what if you go on placement, hate every second of it and then don't want to be a nurse? Not much other choice surely?
it's a possibility, but not something the writer had ever considered as a problem, I bet! The medical world is pretty diverse, though, from health visitors to paramedics, so you don't have to work on a ward. Or you could switch sectors entirely.
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Environmental health should be up there imo.
But what if you really want to work in Environmental Health? It says in the link that a degree in Environmental Health is necessary! (Although there's an option of getting a post-grad qualification in Environmental Health, after a degree in another subject, which seems like a safer path.)
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/environme...quirements.htm
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Half of my house would disagree with that list. One studies sports and exercise science, the other architecture. I agree with sports science. And possibility in reality, architecture as I'm not sure what the career prospects are like, although out of the arty degrees, architecture is probably one of the most technical/skilful/useful in the real world. Possibly psychology should be on that list. It seems to be really popular, but I don't think there are that many jobs about, especially with all the cuts to the nhs. What about history - there isn't really a specific career it can lead to that needs a degree apart from a history teacher. So for whatever job you apply for, there will probably be competition from people with a relevant degree. I would also say palaeontology - it's really popular at my uni, but there's hardly any palaeo jobs about. Its in the same department as me, so at the start of the year, the careers talk I went to was also for them. A PhD palaeo student gave a talk and shattered the dreams of every palaeo in the room by telling him how there's no jobs, especially for working with dinosaurs. I agree with the criminology/forensics thing as well. There's hardly any jobs for pathology/CSI/forensics etc, but at my 6th form, forensic science was possibly the most popular course.
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Geography shouldn't be on there.

But Underwater Basket Weaving should be.
danadd9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's all up to the student and how they apply themselves after their degree.
**** all wrong with the degree itself.
(Yes I'm butthurt because I'm applying for Music.)
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where's David Beckham Studies!?
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChemicalBond)
Nowhere because it doesn't exist as a degree :sad:
Dopamine Dreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SecretDuck)
Geography shouldn't be on there.

But Underwater Basket Weaving should be.
No way, I started as a Junior Weaver at my local pool just this week.

The jobs are out there dude, just need to make sure your application stands out.

But LOL at Nursing being on there. Joke.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the land of not ever having existed as a degree...?
MAyman12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fine Arts, Visual Arts and everything that is related to Arts.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alot of degree's may not be pointless, but I doubt is worth the 9k a year. These cheap degree's are probably put in place to fund the more expensive degree's, I say a university funding solution.
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dopamine Dreams)
No way, I started as a Junior Weaver at my local pool just this week.

The jobs are out there dude, just need to make sure your application stands out.

But LOL at Nursing being on there. Joke.
I'm not taking that degree. Thanks for the laugh though :lol:
Octopus_Garden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
While the author was weird enough to put nursing on there (85% employment rate, paid tuition), they weren't mad enough to put non-existent degrees on there!
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SecretDuck)
Nowhere because it doesn't exist as a degree :sad:

(Original post by Quady)
In the land of not ever having existed as a degree...?
Lol okay, it's not exactly its own degree, but it did/does exist.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...fordshire.html I know it's an old article, but there is/was such thing...
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Geography is number 1? Who made that list, seriously?
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How could they miss Music Tech?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads