Developing my political views? Watch

MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all for the recommendations. Birthday in 2 weeks means I have a perfect excuse to get several of the books you've recommended. And the Democracy 3 game does look fun indeed!
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DivinityA)
I'll go ahead and assume we all read a range of material, not just ones that are geared towards our own political ideals!
Shamefully, that is exactly what most students do and that fact can be seen by the crap written all over the Student Room political forums.

Personally, across my browser I have links to the Telegraph, the BBC, The Independent, The Guardian, The Economic, The Spectator, The New Stateman, Conservative Home, Left Foot Forward, Lib Dem Voice, UKPollingReport, e-International Relations, Big Innovation Centre, LSE British Politics and Policy Blog, Lord Ashcroft Polls, and Democratic Audit.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want some books, I would definitely take Rakas21's advice. I would also suggest a number of other texts:

- British Politics Since 1945 by David Childs (dry but a brilliant introductory text)
- The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
- Leviathan by Thomas Hobbs (one of the most important political philosophy texts ever written)
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- A Political Philosophy by Roger Scruton (Brilliant text on conservatism)
- On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
- The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich von Hayek
- The Republic by Plato
- Politics by Aristotle
- Republic and the Laws by Cicero
- The Discourses by Niccolo Machiavelli
- Second Treatise of Government by John Locke
- An Essay on the Principle of Population - Thomas Malthus
- A Theory of Justice by John Rawls
-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.3%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.49%

Watched Threads