Half of recent graduates are in non-graduate jobs Watch

Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
You can't have a massive increase in graduates and then expect there to be plenty of graduate level jobs onto professional career ladders available.

Reminds me of a comic or something that imagined if everyone became a doctor like their parents wanted.

It was funny via absurdity.
True.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
How is it cheaper to buy now? lol property has appreciated enormously regardless of low interest rates which you cant fix forever! Those careers are more unstable now! especially with public cut backs. Everyone's a solicitor now lol.

I agree with the top 20 mark but you will find people struggling even at top unis.
You can fix for 10 years at 4%. You are forgetting pay has risen and prices are slightly off their peak of over five years ago.

How many teachers were dismissed last year? About 50 wasn't it?

I work in the public sector, my pay has risen 60% in the last five years and complusory redundancies among my 500,000 colleagues have been next to nil.

People have always struggled, sure its hard now, but so it was in the early 90s.

lol perhaps they are all solicitors, the ones I know seem to be doing pretty well though!
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
You can fix for 10 years at 4%. You are forgetting pay has risen and prices are slightly off their peak of over five years ago.

How many teachers were dismissed last year? About 50 wasn't it?

I work in the public sector, my pay has risen 60% in the last five years and complusory redundancies among my 500,000 colleagues have been next to nil.

People have always struggled, sure its hard now, but so it was in the early 90s.

lol perhaps they are all solicitors, the ones I know seem to be doing pretty well though!
lol pay has risen but nowhere near property prices. Average pay increase has been around 0.7-2.2% max annually. Property has been rising anywhere between 7-11% across the country. 4% is not cheap! plus you need a larger deposit.

I know quite a few teachers who have been to be honest. 3 at least, some to not meeting targets and others public cuts or school closures. Labour promised to extend and rebuild 15 schools in the west midlands and then the tories cut the contract.

What do you do in the public sector?

Its even more difficult now especially for the young. Older generation had 15-20 years of prosperity.
skotch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess the thing is, upon graduation, most people have no idea what they want to do. Entry level jobs provide a platform to gain money, experience the world of work, understand whether that particular line of work is for you, and gain often very useful skills that will make it both easier to get onto a graduate-level job in the future and may even help you do that job even better than you would have otherwise.

In my personal situation, I'm doing a job that doesn't require a degree, but I'm doing it to gain experience in a field and earn some money whilst I wait to hear back from universities so that I can go back and do some further studying for my desired career. I made the wrong choice of course initially, but only realised that right towards the end of my course.

I know that 20 years down the line when I'm around the age stated at the start, I will be very comfortable monetarily (should all go to plan...).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads