The Student Room Group

Change your avatar to support Anti-Bullying Week!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milostar
No one should have to worry about going to school or university because of bullying, and no one should be made miserable by cruel words and taunts on the internet.

Anti-Bullying Week highlights the issue of bullying and its devastating impact, and reminds us that if want to cut bullying from the curriculum, we all need to do our bit.

Get together with TSR to make a big public statement - we're working together to create a world where there's no place for bullying.

Show your support for Anti-Bullying Week by changing your avatar to one of our special anti-bullying blobs.

To do this, just go to 'customise my TSR' on your home menu, or use this handy link. You can find the ABW blobs in the 'various' category. If you're a subscriber, have a look in the sub-only 'various' menu for some bigger ones.

Once you've changed your avatar, check in on his thread :smile:

TSR, you are the best ! :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Done. Now let's go beat some kid up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tortious
Now taking requests. :hat2:

Don't suppose you fancy doing a Vastra one? :puppyeyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Although I of course don't condone bullying, I believe changing my avatar to say "ABW" will not do even the slightest to help those that are being bullied. Victims of bullying actually want action taken against their bullies.
So after anti-bullying week is over, what happens? Everyone changes their avatars back to normal? But guess what? Kids that were being bullied before ABW would most likely still be bullied after it as well.
Reply 24
Original post by shadowdweller
Don't suppose you fancy doing a Vastra one? :puppyeyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably tonight. :p:
Original post by qasidb
Although I of course don't condone bullying, I believe changing my avatar to say "ABW" will not do even the slightest to help those that are being bullied. Victims of bullying actually want action taken against their bullies.
So after anti-bullying week is over, what happens? Everyone changes their avatars back to normal? But guess what? Kids that were being bullied before ABW would most likely still be bullied after it as well.

Whilst I totally see your argument as someone who has been bullied for various different reasons, I think ABW is good as it allows people to be aware that we have no tolerance for it and especially on somewhere such as TSR it can be hard for people to realise that cyber bullying exists. ABW brings that back to awareness for people who only see bullying as a background thing (note, I'm referring to people who are observing the incident as opposed to being direct victims).
Reply 26
Done :smile:

Good Cause!
Original post by qasidb

This: it all just seems a little pointless to me! :erm:
People are still going to bully and be bullied whether I change my avatar or not!
Reply 28
Original post by qasidb

True of all awareness and charities but should we stop giving and supporting? Should we stop wearing pink ribbons and red poppies because women (and men actually) still get breast cancer and service personnel still get killed and injured? If for just a moment somebody who is being bullied can see an avi and realise that the whole world isn't against them and just give a crumb of comfort is that a bad thing? Presumably there's more going off than just avies out there.
Original post by qasidb

Original post by sosadsosad
This: it all just seems a little pointless to me! :erm:
People are still going to bully and be bullied whether I change my avatar or not!

So what should we do instead? Sit here and do nothing? :colonhash: Of course, changing your avatar won't stop bullying in the world! But I think that showing a bit of support will do you no harm. Maybe it'll help someone feel better and be more confident today, you know. :smile:

Never underestimate the power of many small actions. :^_^:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Folion
True of all awareness and charities but should we stop giving and supporting? Should we stop wearing pink ribbons and red poppies because women (and men actually) still get breast cancer and service personnel still get killed and injured? If for just a moment somebody who is being bullied can see an avi and realise that the whole world isn't against them and just give a crumb of comfort is that a bad thing? Presumably there's more going off than just avies out there.

My thoughts exactly. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
Whilst I totally see your argument as someone who has been bullied for various different reasons, I think ABW is good as it allows people to be aware that we have no tolerance for it and especially on somewhere such as TSR it can be hard for people to realise that cyber bullying exists. ABW brings that back to awareness for people who only see bullying as a background thing (note, I'm referring to people who are observing the incident as opposed to being direct victims).

Just to take a devils advocate position, surely by relegating bullying awareness to one day, this makes people feel they "have done their bit" resulting in massive complacence. I get the sense and please correct my if I am wrong that this is more of a chance for TSR to praise themselves and perhaps try to justify granting themselves more powers, ostensibly "to tackle bullying" but in reality to crush dissent.
Reply 32
If I change it though, I won't be able to have 100px * 100px Miranda back afterwards :sad:

I'll put one in my sig instead :yep:
Reply 33
I don't see how changing an avatar in a virtual forum is going to change anything...
DOOOOONNNNNEEEEEEEE:woo: :woo: :woo:
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

:biggrin: i done it :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Rational Thinker
Just to take a devils advocate position, surely by relegating bullying awareness to one day, this makes people feel they "have done their bit" resulting in massive complacence. I get the sense and please correct my if I am wrong that this is more of a chance for TSR to praise themselves and perhaps try to justify granting themselves more powers, ostensibly "to tackle bullying" but in reality to crush dissent.
<br />

To be honest, "raising awareness" is a complacent excuse to do absolutely nothing.

You care about bullying? Great, go do something about it because changing an avatar on an online forum will do nothing.
<br />
How is changing my avatar supposed to help people being bullied? Seems like bull**** and vanity to me
Reply 37
Original post by Hyde
<br />

To be honest, "raising awareness" is a complacent excuse to do absolutely nothing.

You care about bullying? Great, go do something about it because changing an avatar on an online forum will do nothing.
<br />

No, but being a positive role model can have a lasting effect. Changing my avatar for this week is an innocuous personal reminder of my responsibilities as a well-known member of the forum to ensure that I'm contributing positively to the community. I'd argue that it's even more important for members of the Community/mod teams to do so because they're the "public face" of TSR.
Original post by Tortious
No, but being a positive role model can have a lasting effect. Changing my avatar for this week is an innocuous personal reminder of my responsibilities as a well-known member of the forum to ensure that I'm contributing positively to the community. I'd argue that it's even more important for members of the Community/mod teams to do so because they're the "public face" of TSR.

Now we get to the crux of the matter. Excuse my cynicism but it seems that Its not about helping those who have been bullied but making everyone feel self satisfied and papering over the mistakes. There seems a desperation for everyone to try and say "i've done my bit". This is not a criticism of TSR necessarily but of wider society generally, however TSR has become a product of that society.
Original post by sugar-n-spice
How is changing my avatar supposed to help people being bullied? Seems like bull**** and vanity to me

It falls in the same category as thinking nice thoughts I think. I might be tempted to do a satire of this but I would probably get banned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending