Can Columbia/Belgium win the World Cup Watch

TRS-T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Sick of this Belgium love in atm. They may make it to the quarters but no further.

Colombia won't win it either but on their home continent they have a chance to do well and they also have very strong players.

I guarantee the winner will be one of the elite five of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and Spain.
Why aren't Uruguay in the elite five?

They have won more trophies than Argentina.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TRS-T)
Why aren't Uruguay in the elite five?

They have won more trophies than Argentina.
Spain too.

Those five teams are the best teams now is what I meant.
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by martin jol)
Lets wait and see how Falcao does if ever he moves to a competitive league. Any of Aguero, Suarez, Rooney, RVP would also smash in the goals and look like the best striker in the world playing in the Portuguese, Spanish and French leagues.

Also, Ibra's record in a number of leagues over a long period of time proves he is a better striker.
Ibra was pretty average at Barca, and Eto'o and Villa were much better strikers at the time.

Aguero left Atletico scoring 20 league goals and 27 altogether in his last season
Falcao came the season after and scored 24 league goals and 36 in all competitions

Falcao has scored more league goals than Aguero over the past 2 years and you've come to the conclusion that Aguero is somehow better even though Falcao joined the club Aguero left and in each of his two seasons there scored more than Aguero has done in any season he's played professional football.

The Spanish league averages a similar amount of goals per game plus UEFA co-efficients seem to point to the fact that the Spanish league is as strong as the Premier League.

Tell me more of how Aguero's a better striker...
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lets wait and see how Falcao does if ever he moves to a competitive league. Any of Aguero, Suarez, Rooney, RVP would also smash in the goals and look like the best striker in the world playing in the Portuguese, Spanish and French leagues.

Also, Ibra's record in a number of leagues over a long period of time proves he is a better striker.
Well, Spain is a very good league. So, he doesn't need to prove himself in another competitive league as a goal scorer.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
Ibra was pretty average at Barca, and Eto'o and Villa were much better strikers at the time.
Well, Ibra still had a good record at Barca. I am not sure how you can call it average with 16 goals in 23 games.

At most his style of play didn't really suit Barca.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
England/Belgium have a chance.

In the same sense, Chelsea had a chance at winning the CL in 2012.

Effectively, it would require the other teams to be amazingly incompetent at the back and in front of goal.
Bronco2012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The big problem with the world cup is that you need to win 4 knockout games in a row, I think that's what unstuck Holland last time, and Portugal many a time.

Spain haven't lost a knockout match at a major tournament for 8 years, they're due one.

France have a habit of one bad world cup, then a good one, then one where they don't even score a goal, then another good one. That means they're due a good one. They have a good squad as well but were awful in qualifying, it wouldn't surprise me if they got hot and get to the semis, if not the final.

Germany are the best squad imo.

Brazil have a brilliant young squad but not sure they have the experience to handle the pressure of being the host team. Can they win 4 knockout games in a row? Something tells me it's all going to end in tears. William Hill are offering 11/2 on them to win the 2018 world cup, that looks like a good bet to me.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Well, Ibra still had a good record at Barca. I am not sure how you can call it average with 16 goals in 23 games.

At most his style of play didn't really suit Barca.
Just checked it up. It was 16 in 29 league, plus 21 in 45 in all comps.

For a player of his calibre, at the best team in Europe, it's average and if anything Ibra should have expected better of himself. Most of Zlatan's good years have been in France and Italy. My point was that Falcao proved himself in a stronger league with a weaker team (compared to Barca at least) and in my opinion, Falcao is a better striker than Ibrahimovic.
DorianGrayism
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
Just checked it up. It was 16 in 29 league, plus 21 in 45 in all comps.

For a player of his calibre, at the best team in Europe, it's average and if anything Ibra should have expected better of himself. Most of Zlatan's good years have been in France and Italy. My point was that Falcao proved himself in a stronger league with a weaker team (compared to Barca at least) and in my opinion, Falcao is a better striker than Ibrahimovic.
Maybe he could have done better since he was at Barca. Having said that, he wasn't even playing as a clear striker. The team was built around letting Messi have space and he would drop in.

Ibra and Falcao are very different strikers. Ibra creates more for the team. Falcao is just beastly finisher.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Maybe he could have done better since he was at Barca. Having said that, he wasn't even playing as a clear striker. The team was built around letting Messi have space and he would drop in.

Ibra and Falcao are very different strikers. Ibra creates more for the team. Falcao is just beastly finisher.
I guess there's that element to it, but even when Messi was becoming the sole focus of Barcelona, Eto'o was still banging goals in until he left.

I suppose Ibra and Falcao are different strikers, but my point was that as out-and-out striker Falcao is arguable one of the best in Europe. The kid was saying that Falcao would be the 5th best striker in the Premier League if he came to England, which I found laughable.
martin jol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
aguero is simply a better footballer than falcao. he contributes much more to the team than falcao building attacks and defensively. falcao perhaps is a slightly better finisher.

aguero also has played an important role in a league winning team, something falcao has not done. i'm not sure if falcao won the league in portugal, i'm not counting it anyway. joke league.
xxbradkennedyxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Falcao won back to back europa leagues and a copa del ray with atletico. Infact, he's won every cup final he's ever played in.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bronco2012)
Spain haven't lost a knockout match at a major tournament for 8 years, they're due one.
So your logic for ruling out Spain is "they're really good and have been for a long time"? :lolwut:
Soft Cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No new team will win the World Cup in my opinion. England always have a chance depending on the luck of the draw and if miracles happen between now and June. I'd certainly tip them ahead of Belgium who have been unproven in a major tournament and haven't played in one since 2002. Colombia are a flash in the pan and I expect them to fail to get out of their group.

Belgium may well progress but won't win it.

My money is on Germany, Spain or Italy.
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
jesus christ man, belgium are not ''darkhorses'' every ****er is talking about them haha. they are ranked top 10 ffs.

are you high?

if falcao played in england he'd be the 5th best in the premier league. lets not even talk about the ****ing world ffs.

I don't think you've watched Falcao at all, 5th best?!
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
aguero is simply a better footballer than falcao. he contributes much more to the team than falcao building attacks and defensively. falcao perhaps is a slightly better finisher.

aguero also has played an important role in a league winning team, something falcao has not done. i'm not sure if falcao won the league in portugal, i'm not counting it anyway. joke league.
1. slightly better finisher? Falcao scores from 25% of his shots while Aguero scores from about 13/14%

2. Tell me when Aguero won La Liga when he was at Atletico? Oh that's right, never happened! It's obviously going to be easier to win a league if you don't have Real Madrid and Barcelona competing for it. You're comparing apples and oranges. If Falcao played for Arsenal, City or Chelsea, that team would win the league.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dont watch Columbia but some of my Columbian mates are raving about them big time, reckon they have the attack to open up any team in the world on their day so look forward to watching them play.

Belgium much too raw really. Their defence/gk is world class but in the middle of the park they seem to have an overload of the same kind of B2B midfielder in Dembele/Fellaini/Witsel and not enough technically gifted AMs, De Bruyne is OK I guess but he's not going to win you a world cup. Hazard/Benteke/Lukaku good enough for the semis too.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ineedtorevise127)
Columbia also have a team which is very experienced their CBs are like 34 and 36 years old.
Is this meant to be an argument for them winning the World Cup?
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Assassin)
Belgium have a quite a bad coach;.

Where's Poirot when you need him?!
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
Belgium's Team is far more talented than England at the moment which should be no disrespect to England as Belgium have one of the best squads in Europe.

GK - Courtouis

LB - Pogognoli
CB - Kompany
CB - Vermanlehm
RB - Vertonghen

CDM - Axel Witsel
CDM - Fellaini

RM - Mirallas
CAM - Dembele
LM - Hazard

CF - Lukaku

Bench - Benteke, Mingolet, Chadli, Defour....
Why don't people realise that having good players doesn't make a good team...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
21.75%
The paper was reasonable (146)
44.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
17.82%
It was TERRIBLE (54)
16.31%

Watched Threads