What is cyberbullying? [ABW2013] Watch

Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Machop)
I don't think you understand how simple the solution is. The substantial majority of social network sites allow you to block people or keep your profile private. Anyone who causes you trouble, you block them, it's hardly rocket science.
You can't block people on every single website. I used to post a few websites where you couldn't

If forums don't allow you to block people, just create a different username. How exactly are people going to follow you around on forums if you are using a different username each time. How the hell would they even know that it's you?
Posting style?

If none of these solutions work (I can't conceive of how or why they woudn't) and it's making your life so miserable, just stop using these websites all together.
You make it sound so easy.:rolleyes:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It can be horrible when it happens. It's all very well saying it doesn't matter, and it's easy to block, but it's also easy for the cyber bully to make a new account, get at you on another website etc.

There's a difference between getting teased and people being annoying - the block button is perfect there. People who bully with the intent to make people's lives a misery (and these people DO exist) are simply not deterred by a block button, and they will find other ways around it.

People can say "it's only the internet" as much as they like, but the truth is that people are getting wound up to the extent that they're killing themselves, so obviously there is a problem. I'm very, very happy for you if you feel you can just ignore whatever happens - but not everybody feels the same.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've experienced it before and it wasn't pleasant. Once was in a game I played last year. I was the only woman in my team and one of a handful of women on the server (out of some 10K players). At first, the guys in my team were helpful enough, and only made some comments about how I should be in the kitchen, to make them a sandwich etc. Unoriginal and a bit boring, but I took it in my stride. When I became a better player, though, some people on the server became very nasty. A team was formed with the name "Kittiara is a whore", targeted attacks were made just because of my gender, I received messages every day calling me a slut, a dirty foreign whore, saying that "there ain't no black in the Union Jack", and so on. I reported some of the worst ones to EA (the gaming company), but nothing was done. In the end, I quit the game because it stopped being fun. The purpose of gaming is to relax and enjoy yourself, not dreading coming online to an inbox full of nasty messages every day.

Also, there was a time I was a regular on an online radio show, and I received xenophobic messages because of my accent as well as death threats, and I have received death threats and threats of "corrective rape" in response to some articles I published.

It's all well and good to say that you can just stop doing things if people are bullying you, or threatening you, but it's three things I enjoyed that I had to give up because of others. They could go on having their fun, whilst they sucked the fun out of it for me. I feel that it's the wrong way around - people who are bullied shouldn't be the ones who have to leave. The bullies should be the ones driven away, at least until they can behave themselves.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Blocking people doesn't always work. I had issues with a former friend harassing me earlier this year. I blocked, deleted and reported him to Facebook. He then decided he was going to a further 4 (I think) profiles and add me as a friend. He also joined a website I was a member of and tried to add me as friend there, which I declined. This is despite me and someone else telling him to sod off and leave me alone.

I've had to leave many forums due to bullying and the mods just sitting back and doing nothing, despite me reporting it to them.
Machop
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
You can't block people on every single website. I used to post a few websites where you couldn't

Posting style?

You make it sound so easy.:rolleyes:

That's the whole point, it is easy. If you are a victim of cyber bullying you are voluntarily providing the medium through which you are being bullied and consequently have the ability to report, ignore and block users, change your username, or completely stop using the website all together and thus ending the cyber-bullying at any moment should you so desire.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's the whole point, it is easy. If you are a victim of cyber bullying you are voluntarily providing the medium through which you are being bullied and consequently have the ability to report, ignore and block users, change your username, or completely stop using the website all together and thus ending the cyber-bullying at any moment should you so desire.
They still know it's you if you change your username. And why should I have to leave? Why can't they? It's not right that someone is forced to leave a website because of some pathetic people bullying them.

Reporting someone doesn't always do anything. I used to post on such a forum - report something and nothing was done. Email admin and nothing was done, with the excuse of it being a big forum.

Oh, and leaving the website doesn't always work. I've been followed around online a few times.
Machop
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student;45257827[B)
]They still know it's you if you change your username.
Please explain how?
Machop
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
It's not "a different ball game"; one rarely occurs without the other. And you've taken my example painfully literally, most kids have a few friends. Why should they be exiled from a site because people are making fun of them on there? Just because they've blocked the bullies, doesn't mean that the information can't still be relayed to them. Someone could inform them that "x said y about you". It's not hard. Should we not tackle the people on the sites who are causing the issues, rather than tell the ones who are suffering because of it that they should get lost? Well, that's rhetorical, obviously we should.
In your example you said that the bullying victim has no friends and no-one to talk to, how else am I meant to interpret that.

All the solutions to cyber-bullying are already in place, most websites have a block or ignore option and will impose bans on people who bully if they are reported enough times and there is evidence to support the claim. Many of these websites have millions of members, I don't know what more you want done to tackle the issue?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Please explain how?
Posting style. They can also go through your posts and if you get quoted, your old username comes up.
Clone93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
Lol. It seems you can't understand. It's not restricted solely to being online, they'll bully you at school and then they'll bully you later online. You'll have no friends, no one to talk to about it; you'll be miserable. On top of that, these people are most likely going to be young. Lots of youngsters are allowed on the internet these days. You're going to tell a what, 10, 11, 12 year old to man up? Really? You're only seeing this from your point of view, you're not appreciating that people are individuals and affected by things in different ways for many different reasons. I bet if your little boy told you people had been posting horrible pictures of him on the internet, you wouldn't tell him to man up. That's laughable, but that attitude is also part of the problem.
If I decide to have children (heaven forbid) I'll give them the same advice I give my 10 year old brother, victims are victimised. The only way to be a victim is to act like a victim. The best way of negating bullying isn't to fight back, or tell a teacher, it's to take it in your stride. If you're not bothered by what people say or do to you, they get no satisfaction by doing it and so will move on to a more susceptible victim. It seemed to work for his bullying problem, I see no reason why it shouldn't work for others. Also, I was referring to people being "cyberbullied" exclusively by people they've never met, but even so it's not really an issue.

In case you doubt my credentials in the field of bullying, I was pretty obese from the ages of 9-16 so I know bullying, I just figured out how to deal with it, it didn't hurt that I lost a metric ****ton of weight either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.48%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.91%

Watched Threads