Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on housewives/house-husbands? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you approve of housewives/house husbands?
    I'm a girl and yes
    34.78%
    I'm a girl and no
    13.04%
    I'm a guy and yes
    43.48%
    I'm a guy and no
    8.70%

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind having a house husband if I could support it financially.

However, he would really have to have some sort of part time job, even if it was just freelancing or working at home from the internet, or even getting cash prizes from competitions. I really could not have a husband who just sat at home looking after the kids, while not actually furthering his own skills.

ReputationRep:
    I see no problem if they can afford it.

About a year ago my mum became too ill to work and so she's had to stay at home so she's adopted the role of a housewife and thankfully this doesn't impact us negatively (unless you count my siblings and I having to get used to having a mum and her getting used to being a mum... THAT was a difficult issue!) or financially because she worked with my dad in their businesses so money's still coming in through that and my siblings and I are all working so mum's covered.

On the other hand, we have my cousins who are benefit scroungers and they see it as a blessing because it means their mum can sit around on her arse all day when she should be working. She doesn't cook or clean so she's not exactly acting as a homemaker. I really don't agree with this because she's depending on her daughter who works around 12 and 20 hours in a retail store to provide for their family of 5. It's bull****. She even depends on my dad to provide her ****ing groceries because she's a lazy old hag who pretends to play homemaker. l can't respect housewives like her. She's struggling to pay her bills and feed her family yet she's too lazy to get a job. I just can't fathom how she rationalises this.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly used to be against women choosing, or aspiring, to become housewives. But now I just think, if it makes them happy, then let them. Life is too short to let other people's life choices bother you. I also ruled out being a mother for most of my life, but recently have had a change in heart and would one day (in a far away future!) like to have children. Weird how people change like that :lol:

Anyway, I went off topic. I personally couldn't see myself becoming a housewife or a stay-at-home mum any time soon. I'm very, very determined to become successful and kick-start a career in medicine or a scientific field. I'm not driven by money, but obviously a decent salary which would let me live comfortably would be nice. I'm a competitive person and have always been driven to be the best, so staying at home doing chores while my partner earned the money for both of us would make me deeply unhappy. I wouldn't be fulfilling my potential and my life aspirations.

Maybe in 10 years my mindset will have changed. Maybe I will want to be a full-time housewife. But for the time being I'm 100% focused on getting a career started.

ReputationRep:
    Give me a well-dressed yummy housewife any day. I want a traditional home. I'll earn the money and she can look after the house and kids while I'm working - it makes a perfect team.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt want my wife to be a housewife. And yes I think they are lazy.

That being said, if a couple is hardly better off with both of them working, hell stay off.

ReputationRep:
    I don't approve and I won't justify my opinion, so don't bother quoting me.

Househusbands? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you keep changing your gender? Weren't you a guy earlier today...

ReputationRep:
    If my husband was really rich and i had a boring job then why not.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha... househusband? That's the ultimate form of emasculation. Would I be one? Hell no, firmly believe that he who earns the dough holds the power and it'd be a cold day in hell before I take orders from any woman.

Housewife? I have no issues with a woman choosing to be a housewife for as long as that couple doesn't rely on the state for financial support to support their brats.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are brilliant Tyrion, You are a girl after my own heart. I am against housewives and quote Gloria Steinman that they are nothing more than paracites. Also this government is discriminating against lone parents who are forced to find work when their child turns 5, however housewives who spong off of a husband are 'left alone'. This policy is very wrong and cruel. Housewives should be forced out to work regardless of their financial mean or pay a massive tax, the size dependent on their husbands income. This would root out womans dependency on a man, rendering her nothing more than a prostitute, which is what it comes down to. People complain about single mothers staying at home and not about married mothers who are living in absolute luxury compared to lone mothers who bought into the functionalist Tulcot Parsons American dream of the nuclear family of a male breadwinner and 2.4 children and a lazy TV parked coffee drinking gossiping 'yummy mummy' nightmare of a figure, through social conditioning and white middle class media and policy propagands only to find it is non existent for so many and particularity the working classes and most vulnerable, the very people this false ideology would actually benefit, are now being forced onto benefits because of desertion. They have given up some well paid careers to be a full time stay at home mom only to find their role wrenched away from them when the partner they were conditioned to rely apon financially has departed or been held to ransom by abusive partner because of financial implicaitons.
    Meanwhile those white middle class 'perfect little' ideological families are a poor role model and are the very reason supporting any argument for the so called welfare deficit. It is these nasty little families who are responsible for a broken society, where women are putting education and careers secondary to marriage and family then ending up loosing it all. Married women or any women living as a paracite off of a man is a poor role model, unethical, considering her portrayal of unrealistic discriminating ideologies, she is a bad influence and her husband is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siouxsienusude)
    I think you are brilliant Tyrion, You are a girl after my own heart. I am against housewives and quote Gloria Steinman that they are nothing more than paracites. Also this government is discriminating against lone parents who are forced to find work when their child turns 5, however housewives who spong off of a husband are 'left alone'. This policy is very wrong and cruel. Housewives should be forced out to work regardless of their financial mean or pay a massive tax, the size dependent on their husbands income. This would root out womans dependency on a man, rendering her nothing more than a prostitute, which is what it comes down to. People complain about single mothers staying at home and not about married mothers who are living in absolute luxury compared to lone mothers who bought into the functionalist Tulcot Parsons American dream of the nuclear family of a male breadwinner and 2.4 children and a lazy TV parked coffee drinking gossiping 'yummy mummy' nightmare of a figure, through social conditioning and white middle class media and policy propagands only to find it is non existent for so many and particularity the working classes and most vulnerable, the very people this false ideology would actually benefit, are now being forced onto benefits because of desertion. They have given up some well paid careers to be a full time stay at home mom only to find their role wrenched away from them when the partner they were conditioned to rely apon financially has departed or been held to ransom by abusive partner because of financial implicaitons.
    Meanwhile those white middle class 'perfect little' ideological families are a poor role model and are the very reason supporting any argument for the so called welfare deficit. It is these nasty little families who are responsible for a broken society, where women are putting education and careers secondary to marriage and family then ending up loosing it all. Married women or any women living as a paracite off of a man is a poor role model, unethical, considering her portrayal of unrealistic discriminating ideologies, she is a bad influence and her husband is the same.
    I don't see how it's any of your ****ing business if someone is a housewife if they are not claiming any benefit. It's not parasitic, it's a decision a FAMILY would make based on their circumstances. Not some twatting idiot on a student website. You don't want to be a housewife? Good for you. But I DARE you to say that to someone irl and see if you don't get a horrible response.

People like you really do get on my nerves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it is up to the individuals involved. Whatever they choose, I'll respect.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.