The Student Room Group

French GCSE speaking exam - useful tips/phrases?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got a C, but that's because nerves got the better of me and I completely forgot everything! :frown: Good luck, I have a writing one soon too!
hello i have just finished high school and have done all my mocks and exams. but your just starting, you need to speak slowly revise a lot, speak slowly. the best thing to do is to not put pressure on your self. think about it in your first language ( for me that's English) and turn that into french. that really helps me. everyone can remember something through a beat so sing your french if you have to. (obviously not sing in front of them) but use it in away so revise. all be positive and NEVER procrastinate. your exam means everything for your future. remember, however stressful it is always remember to have fun. have breaks be teenager have fun with your girl\boyfriend. go out with friends but always revise.

good luck, hope for the best. don't worry you'll probably get A*.
stay young. :wink: :P :biggrin:

---Emily ( but you can call me em)
Reply 22
I'm doing my french speaking exam in 5 mins, thanks for the tips i'm sure they'll help me now.
Original post by aaron__
I'm currently in year 10 doing my first French GCSE speaking exam a fortnight today with Edexcel. I was just wondering if anyone had some useful tips or phrases that would potentially boost my grade/confidence seeing as i'm quite worried about it. :s-smilie: The piece is on new technologies (such as phones, iPods, the internet etc.), and then after i'm being asked questions about it about other things like the cinema, TV, literature etc. The whole thing needs to be roughly 4-6 minutes long so i'm just quite nervous, if anyone could help out it'd be really appreciated.

Cheers

I am in year 11 and I do Spanish not French but I am with Edexcel also so it should be pretty similar? I have done all my tasks now but I am redoing one of my writing which is actually on new technologies too haha!:smile:

But I think if you learn it all and start now then you will feel very confident whilst doing it, I know I was very nervous but I practised at any spare time I had and just repeat it in your head. I would say record yourself on your phone and try to put on quite a good French accent whilst you are saying it and pronounce every letter how it should be (because that can give you some extra marks), and then listen to it every night before you go to sleep. Another thing you could do is to try and speak slowly and clearly when you are doing the real one too!

Good luck for it though, it isn't as scary as it first seems and once you have gotten into the first few sentences it won't be bad at all:smile:
Original post by JadeMay
I mean ask your teacher questions in French about the topic you are talking about in your oral exam as it gives you interaction points if that makes sense. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :smile:

My speaking level is just short of A* and I never asked them any questions, just pronounced the words right, used all the tenses and did ridiculous sentences where I chained a crap load of verbs together.
For example instead of saying "I ate my breakfast and afterwards I drank some juice" I'd go "After having eaten my breakfast, I decided to drink some juice."

So many more marks fo' dat, apparently. I believe to translate what I've just said into french it's something along the lines of "Après avoir mangé mon petit-dejeuner, j'ai decidé de boire jus." Meh somebody here'll no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

Also this thread is hella old what even
Bump! Speaking test tomorrow, any extra tips not already mentioned?
does anyone know where to find past oral questions? the ones where you have to describe a picture for a few minutes then 5 questions underneath? anything would be a massive help :smile:
Does anyone know any apps or websites where you can paste all of your French work in it and it will speak it so I know the pronunciation. Also, is it a good idea to write down my paragraphs as I would say them so for example instead of parce que I would say 'pars-kuh'
Reply 28
Anyone know how these are marked? Internally or externally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find that it helps if you write it out in both French and English. This is because you are allowed as many English words as you want in the exam room. Therefore if you know what it means in English your brain will translate it to French without you even realising it. There will come to a point where you won't even need the English paragraph to translate anymore as the French will be in your brain as it has translated it so many times. Another trick I like is to blu tack each one of your paragraphs onto a different door in your house, before you enter the room you must read and recite the paragraph, this way it will get stuck in your head.
Original post by holmes889
Does anyone know any apps or websites where you can paste all of your French work in it and it will speak it so I know the pronunciation. Also, is it a good idea to write down my paragraphs as I would say them so for example instead of parce que I would say 'pars-kuh'

Yes that's a really good idea because the examiners are not going to know if you spelt it correctly on your que cards. They are looking for the correct pronunciation so by writing it as you would say it your brain Is tricked into learning the word faster.
Original post by aaron__
I'm currently in year 10 doing my first French GCSE speaking exam a fortnight today with Edexcel. I was just wondering if anyone had some useful tips or phrases that would potentially boost my grade/confidence seeing as i'm quite worried about it. :s-smilie: The piece is on new technologies (such as phones, iPods, the internet etc.), and then after i'm being asked questions about it about other things like the cinema, TV, literature etc. The whole thing needs to be roughly 4-6 minutes long so i'm just quite nervous, if anyone could help out it'd be really appreciated.

Cheers

For speaking I repeated it over and over. I started learning like half the sentence then the full sentence then doing that wth the next sentence then going both sentences together. Repetition is the key. I also recorded myself and listend to that over and over. For writing I found writing it out was easier. There's also a website called acapela where you can type in words and get the correct pronunciation which was very useful! Good luck! Just try to stay calm :smile:
Reply 32
I asked my teacher to record herself saying my speaking exam on my phone. Not only did I learn the correct pronunciation but I learnt how to say my exposé with good timing and emphasis ... Making it less like a film on fast forward!
Reply 33
Kill yourself, great way to get out of french
Original post by holmes889

There is this app called reverso , it's really good.
great advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending