A* target grades at GCSE Watch

786bossman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, that is untrue!
On my school report i was given an A*, which was 1 month ago. 3 weeks ago I did my maths GCSE test, and ill given an A* star.
Your school is incorrect my friend!!
:cool:
DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For GCSE's, I got 13 A*s (no other results).
Most of my subjects predicted A*s but French and German would often predict me a B in my report cards, despite frequently better results in those subjects.
I really wouldn't worry about it; some of my teachers took the same view as yours, and some couldn't care less and predicted what they actually thought I would get. Certainly don't settle for your target grades though; if your teacher has to reassure you, it probably means you're capable of an A* grade.
Karchii
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, my schools way of predicting our grades is complete BS.

I had family circumstances throughout Year 10 and underachieved, I come into Year 11 with pre-set target grade without me doing any exams whatsoever or even starting the course. I was predicted all B's. I wish my predicted grades were dependent on a Mock, or classwork or exams - anything related to the course!

Now I am applying to sixth forms and due to this idiotic factor, I am most presumably not going to get into a good sixth form. Even when I open my results and my grades are hard worked for, it will mean nothing as simply: its too late!

:l
nguyenj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It doesn't really matter if you're predicted with As or A*s or not. At the end of the day, just work hard and try the best you can to get them. Just because they are your target grades doesn't mean it goes towards anything or limits you in any way.

They don't mean anything. At all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrT123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It's because I want to be applying to the best colleges in my area such as king edwards five ways for example. They only dish out interviews depending on target grades which is why I want them to be higher to what I know I can actually achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
princess:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by izpenguin)
I finished my GCSEs last year, and I was predicted A*s.
so what did you get?
princess:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FxckStudy)
To be honest, my schools way of predicting our grades is complete BS.

I had family circumstances throughout Year 10 and underachieved, I come into Year 11 with pre-set target grade without me doing any exams whatsoever or even starting the course. I was predicted all B's. I wish my predicted grades were dependent on a Mock, or classwork or exams - anything related to the course!

Now I am applying to sixth forms and due to this idiotic factor, I am most presumably not going to get into a good sixth form. Even when I open my results and my grades are hard worked for, it will mean nothing as simply: its too late!

:l
so what gcse results did you get in the end?
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by princess:))
so what did you get?
5 A*s, 3 As (school only let us do 8 GCSEs). I can't remember exactly which subjects I was predicted what in, but I was definitely predicted some A*s. Tbh predicted grades mean very little, many people get grades that are completely different to their predictions.
Onionman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrT123)
Hey there, so basically at school my target grades so far are all A's however i believe that i have the potential to exceed and achieve grade A*s in some subjects. So i asked my head of year and he said no one in the UK is allowed to have a target grade of an A*. Is this true? if so why?
Feel free to post your target grades
Half my targets are A*. No point setting someone a target that's not a challenge.
cherryontop
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have A* targets in some of my subjects and A's in others :confused:
rich1334
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a mix of A*s and As for my targets. I've noticed now that teachers are a lot more reluctant to give out A* targets simply because if you get an A it looks bad on both them and the school (in my opinion I believe that's the reason).
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its not really true but alot of teachers dont give out A* targets, my science teacher gave me an A* target for biology and chem but i have a different teacher for phsyics and she said im not giving anyone an a* target as you cant surpass A*, or something like that, basically its the school/teachers choice.
MSJKSP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been predicted all A*s, but in a way I don't like it as there is a lot of pressure to achieve those grades!
ayates
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey I am predicted 7 A*'s at GCSE, and this is standard. I have never heard of not telling people? Anyhow it doesn't matter if you get all A*'s then this is the grade people will see not your A target grade... Good luck
ayates
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=ayates;45314415]Hey I am predicted 7 A*'s at GCSE, and this is standard. I have never heard of not telling people? Anyhow it doesn't matter if you get all A*'s then this is the grade people will see not your A target grade... So just focus on the real things.
AbbMay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and have predicted grades of A* - not sure if my school are supposed to do that or not? I can understand it not being allowed but I know a lot of people who do have an A* target
Clarinet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrT123)
Hey there, so basically at school my target grades so far are all A's however i believe that i have the potential to exceed and achieve grade A*s in some subjects. So i asked my head of year and he said no one in the UK is allowed to have a target grade of an A*. Is this true? if so why?
Feel free to post your target grades
Is your school an academy? My potential grades were 13 A*s until performance related bonuses started when my school became an academy, meaning that if I was predicted A* and I got an A, they wouldn't get the bonus, but if I was predicted an A, from what was an A*, they'd get the money

This may be completely unrelated to what you're talking about though haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads