Does anyone here get annoyed when you open the door for people& they don't say thanks Watch

MoonGazer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't mind at all - it's just the way I was raised and is so part of who I am, I don't do it for the thanks . Though, once I almost bumped into this guy in a shop at the door and in the end he actually started getting quite angry with me because regardless of who, if anyone, was in the right or wrong, I said "after you" for him to walk through and he kept insisting that I go through first (the convo went a little like this: me: "after you", him: "no, after you", me: "no really, it's fine", him: "no, AFTER YOU, I INSIST!!", it was really bizarre and slightly scary that he got so worked up about it. I couldn't possibly have seen that backfiring on me at all.
beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is rude. However, I find it awkard when you're walking behind someone in a corridor with like 5 doors and the person in front holds every one of them open for you, I never know if I should just thank them the first time or thank them every time but then I feel weirs constantly thanking them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by littlesmurfette)
I've had severve anxiety and even I would walk past people and say thank you. It doesn't require eye contact or in depth conversation.

Sorry...but I think its just plain rude if people don't even acknowledge me.
Anxiety affects everyone differently though, while it may not affect you in this particular way, it may affect people with social anxiety for example, it was a discussion on another forum just today, someone said the reason he doesn't say thank you is because he simply can't because of his anxiety. Don't get me wrong, I agree, I will always be a little annoyed if I don't receive any acknowledgement for holding the door open as I myself always make an effort to say thanks every time, but all I'm saying is you can't always automatically judge someone as rude if they don't, cause they may have their reasons.
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beccaxheapes)
It is rude. However, I find it awkard when you're walking behind someone in a corridor with like 5 doors and the person in front holds every one of them open for you, I never know if I should just thank them the first time or thank them every time but then I feel weirs constantly thanking them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha yes, that is very awkward, I'm never sure either :laugh:
beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olie)
Haha yes, that is very awkward, I'm never sure either :laugh:
I'm glad somebody gets it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
wag12k12dunkno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i dont open the door for anyone
Bassetts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bridgeta222)
Does anyone here get annoyed when you open the door for people and they don't say thanks?

Some people just barge through without acknowledging me at all, I'm not a paid door-opener.
I hold the door open for guys but never for girls. In my experience, guys have usually said thank you but girls are the ones who barge through and don't acknowledge your politeness.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Once I kept holding doors for a woman who never really said thanks. I could have just slammed the doors in front of her face and said welcome :teehee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed