B615 - Driving Re-Test Bill 2013 Watch

This discussion is closed.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would favour it applying to anyone with a Chelsea tractor or who hogs the middle lane. And Premier League footballers.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not frequent enough. Re-test should take place every 6-12 months. Driving is a privilege so you should have to regularly demonstrate competency in driving to carry a licence. Would be nice to see automatic driving bans at reaching 6 points on one's driving licence added in in this context. Theory also is important to road safety as despite passing it, there is limited general knowledge of road signage etc: there should be a full theory test, perhaps even every 6 months. Driving physically retains itself quite well in the muscle memory; however memory of knowledge is not as easily or well achieved. Definitely headed in the right direction though!
MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm fine with it being every 5 years, providing you can ensure that examiners could withstand the frequent retests somehow.
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PhysicsKid)
Not frequent enough. Re-test should take place every 6-12 months. Driving is a privilege so you should have to regularly demonstrate competency in driving to carry a licence. Would be nice to see automatic driving bans at reaching 6 points on one's driving licence added in in this context. Theory also is important to road safety as despite passing it, there is limited general knowledge of road signage etc: there should be a full theory test, perhaps even every 6 months. Driving physically retains itself quite well in the muscle memory; however memory of knowledge is not as easily or well achieved. Definitely headed in the right direction though!
Are you serious? Do you drive? Driving retests every 5 years would prove to be impractical enough as it is, how do you think tests every 6-12 months would be?! Unless your plan to eliminate unemployment is to have everyone qualified as driving examiners?
MacDaddi
Report 5 years ago
I appreciate the idea, but I believe that every 5 years is a lot - a massive strain on sensible drivers and especially for people who need to drive as a living.
PhysicsKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe 6 months is a bit short of a period, but surely annual testing is sensible? A basic driving test covering the bread and butter skills/skills which people are most likely to get wrong would be short yet effective- there should be enough examiners to go round. Nonetheless, even if practical test isn't taken I stand by mandatory annual theory tests.
PhysicsKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure a measurable percentage of drivers would be caught out by annual testing- most driving I see is reckless :P If not, the constant need to be in the zone as it were would improve average driving standards a lot.
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure a measurable percentage of drivers would be caught out by annual testing- most driving I see is reckless :P If not, the constant need to be in the zone as it were would improve average driving standards a lot.
And how would 6-12 month retests help to reduce reckless driving? :confused: those would just carry on outside of their retest. Furthermore you fail to recognise that good drivers exist outside the learning world. One of the best drivers I know failed an optional test despite having vast amounts of experience and knowledge.

Plus as Mechie said it wouldn't even be practical.
PhysicsKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Failure of a driving test after passing the first one would result in a 1 yr freeze: we wouldn't have reckless drivers on the roads. Does anyone actually know how big the demand is for driving tests compared to available examiners in real life?
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
seems a bit too often to me, also you need to factor in the cost to people of doing this, I know a lot of people who drive who definitely couldn't afford to re-test every 5 years.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Failure of a driving test after passing the first one would result in a 1 yr freeze: we wouldn't have reckless drivers on the roads. Does anyone actually know how big the demand is for driving tests compared to available examiners in real life?
There are currently huge waiting lists (~3 months, depending on the area and possibly longer). Now just stop for a moment and consider just how infeasible it would be to have millions of other drivers doing retests on top of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PhysicsKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
There are currently huge waiting lists (~3 months, depending on the area and possibly longer). Now just stop for a moment and consider just how infeasible it would be to have millions of other drivers doing retests on top of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't realise it was that bad- I don't drive you see All I'd say then is make re-tests obligatory as*soon as there are examiners available i.e. have a sort of looping waiting list if possible. Theory should be re-tested every year or so though- so many accidents occur due to superficial knowledge of road signage etc.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't realise it was that bad- I don't drive you see All I'd say then is make re-tests obligatory as*soon as there are examiners available i.e. have a sort of looping waiting list if possible. Theory should be re-tested every year or so though- so many accidents occur due to superficial knowledge of road signage etc.
That much is obvious. How many accidents actually happen because of people not understanding road signs? I'd say it was a very small percentage, not exactly "so many" as you say. The accidents I've been involved in have had nothing to do with signs whatsoever.

Also, a 1 year freeze if you fail a re-test (that you have to have every year anyway, going by your system)? That's ridiculous. Let's ignore the problems with testing everyone every year for a minute. If you can display the necessary level of competence by the next week after failing then shouldn't you be able to drive again?
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Forcing annual theory tests upon people would achieve nothing. People would just ignore all the infomation anyway, besides most people have a good understanding of road signs etc.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the main reason people are such reckless drivers is because they can be/have the opportunity do so. Under the current system, all you basically need to do is drive competently enough without causing some kind of (potential) hazard and show decent enough control of a car through manoeuvres. After that, there is basically nothing stopping people from driving like loonies. Retests would alleviate this problem to some extent, but even then you have to consider that some people will get some lessons or whatever prior to every retest, take care for 40 odd minutes and then they're loose on the road for another x years. I highly doubt the retest would have any affect on speeding rates, and I am sceptical that it would substantially improve driving standards across the country.

But I'd still support this Bill under bun's alternative proposals which wouldn't be so chaotic. And the authors still need to address the issue of how they intend the system to cope with this new influx; it cannot be avoided, and I doubt it will pass unless they do.
PhysicsKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
I think the main reason people are such reckless drivers is because they can be/have the opportunity do so. Under the current system, all you basically need to do is drive competently enough without causing some kind of (potential) hazard and show decent enough control of a car through manoeuvres. After that, there is basically nothing stopping people from driving like loonies. Retests would alleviate this problem to some extent, but even then you have to consider that some people will get some lessons or whatever prior to every retest, take care for 40 odd minutes and then they're loose on the road for another x years. I highly doubt the retest would have any affect on speeding rates, and I am sceptical that it would substantially improve driving standards across the country.

But I'd still support this Bill under bun's alternative proposals which wouldn't be so chaotic. And the authors still need to address the issue of how they intend the system to cope with this new influx; it cannot be avoided, and I doubt it will pass unless they do.
Bad habits are likely to be picked up with frequent re-testing or else people will probably drive more carefully/be more mindful in the time running up to re-tests to get in the zone. A rolling register with retests every 2-3 years if feasible might help with that.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is in cessation.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has gone to a second reading.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise