Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on Medhi Hassan? watch

• View Poll Results: Opinons on Medhi Hassan? Explain why in the thread.
    I like him.
    61.76%
    I dislike him.
    23.53%
    I like/dislike him to some extent.
    8.82%
    Neutral.
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopamine Dreams)
    Find him to be quite arrogant and irritating.
    For what reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    I think he's a hypocrite and I don't agree with his views on abortion. That being said, I respect the fact that he rubbishes the idea of a Muslim state, condemns capital punishment for apostates, and criticises Muslims for not condemning terrorism and being obsessed with foreign rather than domestic affairs.
    Interesting perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    No I am not. I regularly engage with Muslims and count ThatMuslimGuy on here as among my friends. However I will freely criticise Islam and your attempts to censor my will only strengthen my resolve. I am more than happy to take on bullies and for this reason support Mohammed Day. Now if you would like to take a less hostile tone perhaps we can have a more fruitful interaction?
    Are you sure the feeling is mutual? I've never seen you say one positive thing about Islam. Why would someone who loves their religion, count a islamophobe as theor friend?

Also, i'm not a 'bully', i'm just saying what I think

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty shocking, I agree.
    And sad. And then people complain when people call Muslims terrorists. I mean dont generalise if you dont want others to and i think hes quite good from what i have seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Are you sure the feeling is mutual? I've never seen you say one positive thing about Islam. Why would someone who loves their religion, count a islamophobe as theor friend?

Havent really seen this user say anything rude before tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well they have accepted me as a friend so I think the feeling could be described as mutual. I have said positive things about Islam in the past and for you to assume that someone who is a non Muslim and someone who is a Muslim cannot be friends tells us more about you to be honest.

You're a bully in sense that you're trying to silence opposition, well I have never been intimidated by bullies, so blustering will not help you.

In this thread, you're the one who brought up religion by the way, so that is the irony.

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think of Medhi Hassan. Personally I like him, however I think he was somewhat of a hypocrite for going against his principles and applying to write for the Daily Mail.
    How was that going against his principles? He's a conservative reactionary religious bigot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    How was that going against his principles? He's a conservative reactionary religious bigot.
    Medhi Hassan is no conservative. If you look at his wikipedia page and in other sources he describes himself as a lefty. http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyl...any-less-lefty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truefaith)
    And sad. And then people complain when people call Muslims terrorists. I mean dont generalise if you dont want others to and i think hes quite good from what i have seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wholeheartedly agree.

ReputationRep:
    I really like him, he's quite liberal and has presented himself in a good way on Question Time, and I respect his beliefs

ReputationRep:
    Medhi Hassan is no conservative. If you look at his wikipedia page and in other sources he describes himself as a lefty. http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyl...any-less-lefty
    Well he's definitely a religious bigot.

ReputationRep:
    Well they have accepted me as a friend so I think the feeling could be described as mutual. I have said positive things about Islam in the past and for you to assume that someone who is a non Muslim and someone who is a Muslim cannot be friends tells us more about you to be honest.

You're a bully in sense that you're trying to silence opposition, well I have never been intimidated by bullies so blustering will not help you.

In this thread, you're the one who brought up religion by the way, so that is the irony.
    i have many non muslim friends for your information and i get a long with people of all faiths in real life so i dont know what you're on about. My non-muslim friends don't critisise Islam all the time and are actuallu very open minded people which is why i like them.

Also, not once have I said don't keep your opinions to yourself. You just need to chill out with the critisisms

ReputationRep:
    Well he's definitely a religious bigot.
    He seems to be reasonably moderate, compared to some of the religious bigots on TSR for example.

ReputationRep:
    He seems to be reasonably moderate, compared to some of the religious bigots on TSR for example.
    You obviously didn't see the video where he called atheists cattle. Or the one where he said he believed Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse. Or his twitter, where he's defended Iran. Some "moderate" indeed. He is a very sinister individual.

ReputationRep:
    i have many non muslim friends for your information and i get a long with people of all faiths in real life so i dont know what you're on about. My non-muslim friends don't critisise Islam all the time and are actuallu very open minded people which is why i like them.

Also, not once have I said don't keep your opinions to yourself. You just need to chill out with the critisisms
    I do not criticise Islam all the time. My criticisms where they are made are based upon observation, with one concern being how LGBT people are treated within Islam. I am not just going to intimidated into silence. So no my criticisms have never be unchilled and certainly will not stop now. The more you try to silence people the more they will stand up.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously didn't see the video where he called atheists cattle. Or the one where he said he believed Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse. Or his twitter, where he's defended Iran. Some "moderate" indeed. He is a very sinister individual.
    I did see those two actually and regarded his statements as rather absurd. The first one I believe he has apologised over. As for the second it is ridiculous I agree but I think overall he is moderate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flauta)
    I really like him, he's quite liberal and has presented himself in a good way on Question Time, and I respect his beliefs
    I agree, however I will play Devils advocate here and ask you what your opinion about this letter, http://www.anorak.co.uk/369161/news/...or-a-job.html/

ReputationRep:
    I did see those two actually and regarded his statements as rather absurd. The first one I believe he has apologised over. As for the second it is ridiculous I agree but I think overall he is moderate.
    Then you have set the bar rather low for what being a moderate is.

ReputationRep:
    Then you have set the bar rather low for what being a moderate is.
    Compared to extremists like Al Mudarri who marginalise LGBT people, I think moderate can describe Hassan. Medhi has condemned terrorist attacks unlike Mudarri. I do not agree with Hassan's views over abortion but he does seem relatively moderate.

ReputationRep:
    Mehdi Hassan is Shiite so he must at one point or another be a hypocrite; they've got this concept wherefore they must lie to get about in life.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.