Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really a combination that gets us... At first sight, definitely looks. But to have an actual relationships, personality is key.

Nobody would be interested in someone they found unattractive, no matter how kind they are. Nobody would date the Hunchback of Notre Dame just because she's a nice girl ... That's not realistic. An unattractive girl that has a great personality can be my friend, but nothing more.
    No one wants ugly kids ......

My girlfriend needs to have the combination of looks and personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    Interesting, given that a) no Olympic female athlete has a thigh gap and b) they only came into fashion when Twiggy appeared on the market.
    Interesting that you don't know the difference between someone who is fit and has toned legs and a competitive sportswoman at world-class level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Personality hardly means anything, so long as you have average personality.
    Looks is primary because we are visual creatures, this goes for both men and women.

Its a trait of Humanity.

To OP: I don't know I would have to see a pic then I would know instantly
    Seriously? I couldn't be with someone who just had an 'average personality.' Whilst being attracted to them physically is very important, I also need someone who interests me in other ways.

(Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    None of the guys I've been interested in have had "average" personalities - they've always been a bit out there. Personality is very important to me.
    This really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Interesting that you don't know the difference between someone who is fit and has toned legs and a competitive sportswoman at world-class level...
    ???

You said that thigh gaps are a sign of fitness, and I'm sitting here laughing at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    ???

You said that thigh gaps are a sign of fitness, and I'm sitting here laughing at you.
    :rofl:

Exactly.

Oh lawdy lawdy I wish people who weren't knowledgeable about fitness would just stop pretending they knew about it sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    :rofl:

...I wish people who weren't knowledgeable about fitness would just stop pretending they knew about it sometimes.
    Yeah, or about basics of the human psyche and reproduction drive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellcat12)
    On the serious note, it's the fault of the Media and our stupid mind sets which have led to us bring attracted to hot, lean and good looking people. This is just pathetic, one must never ever judge somebody by the way they look...can't we realise how beautiful a person with natural looks and a great nature is? What will artificially toning oneself do? Under the mask there might be the ugliest limpet you will ever lay your eyes on.

Such idiots should be given a good teaching and the common media should be kicked in the gut for showing sultry, hot people and ignoring the general public and the reality of life.
    I don't believe this. At all. It doesn't make us more attracted to them imo, but rather expect us we can get someone like that. Or is that what you are saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Yeah, or about basics of the human psyche and reproduction drive...
    ....she was talking to you.

Also, lol @ "basic human psyche". Like I said, thigh gaps only came into fashion for adult women when Twiggy (BMI 15) appeared in the market. Look at every single painting of a woman before the 1900s: not a single thigh gap can be seen, let alone any woman who looks like the classic 5'8 / 100lb fashion model of today.

It's a fad, not a "basic human psyche".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    ....she was talking to you.

Also, lol @ "basic human psyche". Like I said, thigh gaps only came into fashion for adult women when Twiggy (BMI 15) appeared in the market. Look at every single painting of a woman before the 1900s: not a single thigh gap can be seen, let alone any woman who looks like the classic 5'8 / 100lb fashion model of today.

It's a fad, not a "basic human psyche".
    Hey I'm reading Chekhov and there's this character named Katya, so is your name Ekaterina?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Hey I'm reading Chekhov and there's this character named Katya, so is your name Ekaterina?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is indeed I normally anglicise it though, so people just call me Kate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    It is indeed I normally anglicise it though, so people just call me Kate.
    I wouldn't anglicise it if I were you. I'd cherish my Russian identity anywhere (I mean if I were Russian).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    I wouldn't anglicise it if I were you. I'd cherish my Russian identity anywhere (I mean if I were Russian).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's mostly for convenience ("Kate" is a lot easier than "Ekaterina" for English people, I've found), and also I've come to loathe the look of disdain I get from some older Brits when I tell them my name. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen, and it makes me feel ashamed of being foreign.

When I apply to university though I'm going to go as Ekaterina. It's weird though, Kate has come to feel like *my* name even though it actually isn't? Spooky. I wonder if anyone called me Julie long enough I'd start to feel like a Julie.

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh, I'm white as a sheet and fat......no one must find me attractive ;-) obviously my fiancé did, who is very good looking, we have two kids and been together 9 years....it is about looks but you need the personality too, everyone likes different types of people if we all conformed it would've boring.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.