Speed limit Watch

Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
I have mentioned a few times that I judge according to what is going on around me, I'd never speed in a congested area or near a place such as school (that goes without saying). 7 mph isn't much to knock out if you need to. It's not like doing 50 mph in a 30 mph which I'd agree is careless. People aren't as against slow drivers as they are against faster drivers, when slow drivers can cause accidents.

Good judgement comes from assessing situations, it's a general skill, not just applicable to driving. It gets better over time
Frankly, I've never wanted someone to repeatedly fail their driving test, this much. It's clear that your belief in your epic driving skills isn't going to allow you to see sense here, so I'm not going to wear out my keyboard trying.
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good judgement comes from assessing situations, it's a general skill, not just applicable to driving. It gets better over time
It gets better with experience - my point is that you have practically none of driving. You don't develop skills by waiting for time to pass, it requires practice.
Extremotroph
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I drive according to what's going on around me. It doesn't make me a troll to suggest that driving a bit faster is fine when it's a clear road. Obviously I'd knock some speed out if there were animals or pedestrians around.
For the purposes of passing your test, ensure that you keep to the speed limit. Do not go over 30, you want your instructor/examiner to believe that you are safe and competent driver. Imagine you are a chauffer.

With regards to these goody two shoes sheeple, I agree with your stance. Life is inherently anarchy, but that doesn't mean we have to drive like GTA, and make sure you watch for cops.

Also I like the fact you have confidence in your driving ability. Confidence is a key part of being a good driver.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Frankly, I've never wanted someone to repeatedly fail their driving test, this much. It's clear that your belief in your epic driving skills isn't going to allow you to see sense here, so I'm not going to wear out my keyboard trying.
All you've seen me say on driving is I don't see the problem with quick, but sensible driving, you haven't seen my general driving or skills, so I think you're overreacting by saying I deserve to fail! You should judge someone's driving on their ability, not ability to adhere to what a highway agency says the speed limit says.

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
It gets better with experience - my point is that you have practically none of driving. You don't develop skills by waiting for time to pass, it requires practice.
Yeah. I generally have good judgement though, in terms of judging areas and speed etc.

(Original post by Extremotroph)
For the purposes of passing your test, ensure that you keep to the speed limit. Do not go over 30, you want your instructor/examiner to believe that you are safe and competent driver. Imagine you are a chauffer.

With regards to these goody two shoes sheeple, I agree with your stance. Life is inherently anarchy, but that doesn't mean we have to drive like GTA, and make sure you watch for cops.

Also I like the fact you have confidence in your driving ability. Confidence is a key part of being a good driver.
Appreciate it. I know I'll need to driving in accordance with impressing an examiner, unfortunately. But once that is over and I have my license
Emma-Ashley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All you've seen me say on driving is I don't see the problem with quick, but sensible driving, you haven't seen my general driving or skills, so I think you're overreacting by saying I deserve to fail! You should judge someone's driving on their ability, not ability to adhere to what a highway agency says the speed limit says.

Yeah. I generally have good judgement though, in terms of judging areas and speed etc.

Appreciate it. I know I'll need to driving in accordance with impressing an examiner, unfortunately. But once that is over and I have my license
I would absolutely agree that it isn't appropriate to criticise your driving skills as you correctly point out that none of us have seen you driving. Fair enough.

However, your attitude to driving stinks. The law is there for a reason and regardless of whether you think that the law is right or wrong, you have a duty to abide by it. A speed limit of 30 means 30, not 37. How about the next person who says "Well actually 40 is only 10 above and it's perfectly safe for me to drive at that speed because I can handle it". What about 50 or 60? Where does it stop? People with more experience, expertise and skill have deemed that 30 is enough - what makes you think you know better than them? You don't - you're wrong.

If you are travelling through a 30 at 37, you are expecting everyone who is a roaduser in the vicinity to judge your speed correctly. They are not expecting you to be coming along the road at an excessive speed and may not judge it correctly. When you get a licence you have a responsibility, along with every other licence holder, for maintaining safety on the roads. Ability you may have, the correct attitude you certainly don't.

BTW I applaud all those on here who have roundly criticised you for your attitude. I would rather have all of the them driving around my local area than one of you no matter how good you are.
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emma-Ashley)

If you are travelling through a 30 at 37, you are expecting everyone who is a roaduser in the vicinity to judge your speed correctly. They are not expecting you to be coming along the road at an excessive speed and may not judge it correctly. When you get a licence you have a responsibility, along with every other licence holder, for maintaining safety on the roads. Ability you may have, the correct attitude you certainly don't.
Being a good driver is all about having the belief that no one is a competent driver and that you must always be ready to make allowances for them. Is it your expectation that other motorists will conform to the highway code at all times? If so, do you think such an expectation is in line with reality?
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emma-Ashley)
I would absolutely agree that it isn't appropriate to criticise your driving skills as you correctly point out that none of us have seen you driving. Fair enough.

However, your attitude to driving stinks. The law is there for a reason and regardless of whether you think that the law is right or wrong, you have a duty to abide by it. A speed limit of 30 means 30, not 37. How about the next person who says "Well actually 40 is only 10 above and it's perfectly safe for me to drive at that speed because I can handle it". What about 50 or 60? Where does it stop? People with more experience, expertise and skill have deemed that 30 is enough - what makes you think you know better than them? You don't - you're wrong.

BTW I applaud all those on here who have roundly criticised you for your attitude. I would rather have all of the them driving around my local area than one of you no matter how good you are.
No, my attitude towards driving doesn't stink, I just don't trust laws or speed limits just because a highway agency says this is to be the case. It's funny how nobody has actually responded to how I said I drive according to what is going on around me. If it's busy, I won't speed. If it's a clear road, I see no issue with taking the speed up a tad.

On the flip side to your argument, what if the agencies said it should be lower than 30? Should we all go along with it because it's what they said? I have a duty to drive carefully to the point I don't become dangerous or knock someone down, I have no intention of hurting anyone, and just as you can speed up you can speed down when you know you're driving too fast for the area. 37 isn't that much above 30, but 50 is irresponsible in a residential area and I wouldn't condone that.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Extremotroph)
Being a good driver is all about having the belief that no one is a competent driver and that you must always be ready to make allowances for them. Is it your expectation that other motorists will conform to the highway code at all times? If so, do you think such an expectation is in line with reality?
This. You need to watch them at all times to make sure they don't do something stupid - judging by drivers nowadays that isn't the case!
VampireKisses
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Congestion is a Nightmare hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Ras17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My instructor is the most irritating when it comes to speed. If I'm doing 25 he'd tell me to push a bit more to 30 but as soon as it hits 30, he tells me to slow down because he seems to have some terrifying phobia of going any where above it. It's understandable, since 30 is the limit, but if I leave it at 25 he tells me I'm being a bit lethargic and need more energy... push it to 28 or 29 and keep it there he tells me to slow down so I don't go over 30 - even though I kept it 28-29 for almost the whole road with no problems.

The general consensus I've heard from people who have passed their tests is that going slower is better than going faster - as long as you're not holding up traffic. Keeping it steady takes practice, but 27-30 should be okay.
VampireKisses
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ras17)
My instructor is the most irritating when it comes to speed. If I'm doing 25 he'd tell me to push a bit more to 30 but as soon as it hits 30, he tells me to slow down because he seems to have some terrifying phobia of going any where above it. It's understandable, since 30 is the limit, but if I leave it at 25 he tells me I'm being a bit lethargic and need more energy... push it to 28 or 29 and keep it there he tells me to slow down so I don't go over 30 - even though I kept it 28-29 for almost the whole road with no problems.

The general consensus I've heard from people who have passed their tests is that going slower is better than going faster - as long as you're not holding up traffic. Keeping it steady takes practice, but 27-30 should be okay.
hmmmm you need to drive to the conditions driving at 27 can be too fast in some instances just be sensible and vigilant as you become more experienced you will just know how fast to drive without even thinking about it just be safe especially as winter is approaching
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's calledhaving fun and it hasn't harmed anyone!

He's so annoying that he is only worried about getting in trouble with a fine or whatever. If it's such a big deal I'd pay the fine. It won't change my attitude though (EDIT)
Trust me mate, it's no fun when you get caught and faced with a fine and points on your license, take it from me.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's called having fun and it hasn't harmed anyone!

He's so annoying that he is only worried about getting in trouble with a fine or whatever. If it's such a big deal I'd pay the fine. It won't change my attitude though (EDIT)
It's called illegal.

The speed limits are what they are for a reason.
It may look like a clear road, but it'll be a 30 limit because either there is heavy pedestrian traffic, or lots of driveways and side roads, or because it used to be a higher limit and there were lots of fatalities.

If you want the feeling of going fast with the wind in your hair, take up running or cycling, where you can get the feeling of speed while still going relatively slowly and not controlling a ton of metal killing machine.
Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just don't trust laws or speed limits
This one time the National Speed Limit came into my room at night and did things to me . You're right not to trust it.

Seriously though, if everyone who thought they were 'sensible' actually were and they never had an accident, we wouldn't have a need for insurance.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peter91)
https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~suh/metacognition.pdf

Feel free to read this. You ARE increasing the risk to people's lives to get to your destination, what 5 minutes earlier? If you don't care, well that's your call (a fairly unpleasant one imo, but yours to make and you're far from alone) but to deny it is just ridiculous.
No I'm not and I will want to get to my destination 5 mins earlier if I can, it doesn't mean I am going to hurt anyone.

(Original post by RibenaRockstar)
It's called illegal.

The speed limits are what they are for a reason.
It may look like a clear road, but it'll be a 30 limit because either there is heavy pedestrian traffic, or lots of driveways and side roads, or because it used to be a higher limit and there were lots of fatalities.

If you want the feeling of going fast with the wind in your hair, take up running or cycling, where you can get the feeling of speed while still going relatively slowly and not controlling a ton of metal killing machine.
Why should it matter if something's illegal, you should consider whether something is right or not based on principle, not the law.

(Original post by Maccees)
This one time the National Speed Limit came into my room at night and did things to me . You're right not to trust it.

Seriously though, if everyone who thought they were 'sensible' actually were and they never had an accident, we wouldn't have a need for insurance.
I don't trust following things just because someone or something said I should. I am a better judge
midnightice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why should it matter if something's illegal, you should consider whether something is right or not based on principle, not the law.
What are you on?

I hope you never pass your test.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
What are you on?

I hope you never pass your test.
The law isn't always right. So people who say you shouldn't do something because it's illegal should think about whether the actual thing is right or wrong.

And my driving is fine, you've never seen it, so don't be offended if I tell you to piss off
midnightice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The law isn't always right. So people who say you shouldn't do something because it's illegal should think about whether the actual thing is right or wrong.

And my driving is fine, you've never seen it, so don't be offended if I tell you to piss off
Have you ever heard of the 'stopping distance'? That's why there's a limit. I know people who have died because of idiotic driving mentality like the one you have. Stop being so arrogant and accept that you need to change your attitude and abide by the law.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
Have you ever heard of the 'stopping distance'? That's why there's a limit. I know people who have died because of idiotic driving mentality like the one you have. Stop being so arrogant and accept that you need to change your attitude and abide by the law.
37 compared to 30 is hardly dangerous or idiotic.

Anyway, my main objection was how my driving instructor asked me to stop just for going a bit over 30, and normally it is around 33 where he gets panicky (probably doesn't want a ticket :rolleyes:), despite everything else being good.

30 is arbitrary. Obviously I don't condone going 50 in a 30.
But on the motorway and the road is clear, it's okay to go a bit faster than 70 if you have faith in your ability.

I'm not changing my opinion just because you and others have told me to, I'm not a threat to anyone's safety for God's sake.
midnightice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
37 compared to 30 is hardly dangerous or idiotic.

Anyway, my main objection was how my driving instructor asked me to stop just for going a bit over 30, and normally it is around 33 where he gets panicky (probably doesn't want a ticket :rolleyes:), despite everything else being good.

30 is arbitrary. Obviously I don't condone going 50 in a 30.
But on the motorway and the road is clear, it's okay to go a bit faster than 70 if you have faith in your ability.
7mph is substantial actually when you have to apply the brakes in a hazardous situation. He's stopping you because he understands that you have a mentality that it is OK to go over the limit, when it clearly isn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.75%
The paper was reasonable (440)
45.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.03%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed