calling females 18+ 'girls' Watch

nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)
Oh please, its quite clear you have feelings for him.
What makes you say that !?!?! Even if I did, why is it relevant to this thread ?? :ninjagirl: I've quickly checked your profile, I doubt you're him, but he might be on this forum :O
Pastaferian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
xx
The meanings of words change over time and in different contexts, and 'girl' is an excellent word with which to make that point.
If you go back 700 years, a 'gyrle' was a prepubescent child of either gender. .. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=girl
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
What makes you say that !?!?! Even if I did, why is it relevant to this thread ?? :ninjagirl: I've quickly checked your profile, I doubt you're him, but he might be on this forum :O
I'm not him :lol:
nic-nac
Rep:
?
I'm not him :lol:
What makes you think I like him ??
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ebony19)
'out with the femaless' Erm no

'just us females' Creep the **** out of here

So you think girls is too young and woman is too old so you opt for the creepy option... females
"out with ma hoes"
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
What makes you think I like him ??
All the thread you make about him...
nic-nac
Rep:
?
All the thread you make about him...
One was on his behalf because I don't think he has TSR. And I only remember two others that were specifically about him, rather than my housemates in general. ... that's not a lot is it ?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I call myself a girl, and I'm 23. Apart from when I'm talking to business contacts.
yennibubs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The term 'boys' sounds younger... I really find it weird when an 18+ female says "I met a boy last night..."
Uhm.. what?
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There simply is no widely used female equivalent to 'guys'. 'Women' is rather ageing, 'girls' is infantilising. 'Boys' can be decidedly creepy though its use in military contexts makes it slightly more acceptable. Plus there isn't normally the same anxiety about being patronising to men. 'Ladies' is very objectionable. 'Lasses' could conceivably work but doesn't.

It's a failing of the English language (or the people who speak it), but short of trying to pioneer a maverick term, there really is no choice but to accept that this is an area where its hard to avoid clumsiness, lack of offence, or looking stuck up.
buchanan700
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To me, lady seems to conjure up images of people in middle age and above. I am starting to use the term 'woman' to refer to myself more, but its all a matter of context. In more formal situations or in proper speech, I use woman toward myself and other females, but amongst friends, normally it's 'girl', and I prefer it.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm nearly 29 and I still slip up and call myself a girl sometimes.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HFerguson)
"out with ma hoes"
or that.

I just associate 'females' with medical/physiological/anatomical attributes feels a bit like...'am out with the vaginaaas'
c_al
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With "female" being considered creepy, it makes me wonder what options are actually acceptable.

Woman is insulting, because thats just the word man with a little bit in front of it.
Girl is also unacceptable, because this can be seen as sexualising, and is not treating the person as a mature adult.
Lady is also a no go word, as it means you are expecting them to conform to sexist gender stereotypes like acting lady-like etc, and these thing apparently only apply to the fairer sex (apologies if anyone finds that term too offensive).

I'm running out of options here.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by c_al)
With "female" being considered creepy, it makes me wonder what options are actually acceptable.

Woman is insulting, because thats just the word man with a little bit in front of it.
Girl is also unacceptable, because this can be seen as sexualising, and is not treating the person as a mature adult.
Lady is also a no go word, as it means you are expecting them to conform to sexist gender stereotypes like acting lady-like etc, and these thing apparently only apply to the fairer sex (apologies if anyone finds that term too offensive).

My point exactly !
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by c_al)

I think it depends more on the context.

"There was a woman in a shop who..." You can replace this with Girl and Lady

However, when referring directly to someone it's be something like Miss, or Ma'am

Another context is when referring to more than one "Out with the girls", which can be replaced with ladies, but replacing it with 'women' doesn't seem to fit as well.

I don't think at any point in conversation you would use 'female'. It sounds a bit detached.
Rowena96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just putting it out there, I'm pretty sure female is an adjective rather than a noun. eg. you would say "I am female", rather than "I am a female".
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apart from the word girlfriend, I use girl for at school/under 18, and woman for any female who is older.
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's interesting to see what strangers call each other, e.g 'this girl/lady/woman was first in the queue'. I think I stopped getting called a 'girl' by strangers from about 15 but I still refer to myself and people my age as girls.
I think it's fine informally but I would probably call someone a 'lady' or a 'woman' if I didn't know them well. I find 'female' too creepy to use *shudders*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (198)
29.91%
The paper was reasonable (271)
40.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (112)
16.92%
It was TERRIBLE (81)
12.24%

Watched Threads