name 10 books to make u intellectually well rounded e.g fiction history science stuff Watch

Kinkerz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
I fully concede that it is a difficult read. But regardless of your academic discipline it provides an extremely interesting view of classical economic theory. It is definitely a rewarding read.
Depends what you mean by rewarding. I mean, it's a virtually impenetrable volume.

(Original post by maskofsanity)
Why are they pretentious?

Everyone should read Plato's Republic at least once in their life - it will inform you on a huge range of fundamental subjects and it is one of the most influential works in history.

And I agree about P.G. Wodehouse, though I would say Orwell is a better place to start for the OP.
Pretentious in that many people read these things so they can say that they've read them and sanctimoniously appear to be educated or cultured. If you want to read them for your own personal improvement (as Jeeves might say), then it becomes less pretentious. My post was mostly aimed at ChaosisaLadder. He listed ten books, of which, at most, four are manageable or 'worth it'.

I expected Orwell's name to be plastered all over this thread and tried to give options that might not get thrown around too much.
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Levi – If This Is A Man
Nietzsche – The Gay Science
Clavell – Shogun
Dostoyevsky – The Brothers Karamazov
Blake – Songs of Innocence and of Experience
Kafka – The Trial
Bryson – Notes From A Small Island
Spinoza – Ethics
Beowulf
Rushdie – Midnight's Children

All very important to me. No order.
Clavell and Bryson - two great shouts!
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)
I'm going to deviate away from the pretentious, hardcore philosophy and history volumes that have been mentioned thus far. These are books that everyone wants to have read, but nobody other than the masochistic amongst us actually wants to read. The following are books that you might find fun
What do you make of this?

Books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an axe to break the sea frozen inside us.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
What do you make of this?

Books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an axe to break the sea frozen inside us.
Happy isn't the same as fun.

I'm sure reading Das Kapital would enrich my understanding of economics and Marxism, but the volume is so vexing to get through that I simply refuse to engage properly with it.

There are so many books that none of us will ever have the time to read and a book you don't enjoy reading takes a great deal longer to finish than one you do enjoy, thereby further 'wasting' time. So unless it's on a topic that I have a genuine thirst or requirement to know more about, I'm uninterested in persevering with excessively 'difficult' texts. Not when there is still about 40% of P.G. Wodehouse to bask through (et c.).

You can become more intellectually well-rounded without forcing yourself through reams of books that sap your morale like Das Kapital.
Funkcase
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Brave new world' and' 100 years of solitude', are essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (1)
11.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
44.44%

Watched Threads