Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)
    Has anyone who has met the cut off heard anything else since the mass email ?
    No nothing yet. Historically they will contact people two-three weeks after GAMSAT scores are released. So hopefully we should hear by the end of next week if not sooner

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I just got this email from Nottingham,

Dear Applicant

Congratulations on reaching the GAMSAT cut off score. The next stage is to complete the work experience questionnaire.

I will be in contact by the end of the week with instructions on completing the questionnaire.

For information interview dates are week commencing 10th March 2014 – 14th March and 31st March – 4th April 2014.

Kind Regards

Miss Sarb Atwal

So does this mean I can still get rejected after filling out the form before interview or do they offer interview based on my form......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Dear Applicant

Congratulations on reaching the GAMSAT cut off score. The next stage is to complete the work experience questionnaire.

I will be in contact by the end of the week with instructions on completing the questionnaire.

For information interview dates are week commencing 10th March 2014 – 14th March and 31st March – 4th April 2014.

Kind Regards

Miss Sarb Atwal

So does this mean I can still get rejected after filling out the form before interview or do they offer interview based on my form......
    I was just wondering the very same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)

Dear Applicant

Kind Regards

Miss Sarb Atwal

I just got the same email today. Hopefully they will be after similar stuff as SGUL

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got this too. Found this on the website:

How do you select interview candidates?
    We offer an interview to those who achieve the cut off score in the GAMSAT in addition to the minimum section requirements. This is set each year.

I would guess this means that they take the work experience stuff as 'minimum section requirements'?

'A great deal of emphasis is placed on work experience, as we want to ensure that you are making a well-informed choice about your future career, something which a few days shadowing would not provide. Relevant experience could include volunteering in a care home, working as a healthcare assistant within a hospital.'

So, yes we could still be rejected before interview??

I dunno, how do you guys interpret this?

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine...aspx#interview
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...-medicine.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought the comment about individual sections referred to the sections of the GAMSAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    I would have thought the comment about individual sections referred to the sections of the GAMSAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahahaha Of course, I'm such a fool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DAAAYYYMMN !!! Just got this

Applicants who meet the GAMSAT score are asked to complete a work experience questionnaire which is graded. Applicants who have sufficient work experience will be invited for an interview.

Below is some information regarding the type of work experience required.
    It needs to take place in a care related environment where you will ideally interact with healthcare professionals and members of the public. The main focus for asking that applicants have work experience is to ensure that you are making an informed choice about your future career and are aware of the ups and downs of being involved in medicine.
    There are many ways you can do this ranging from volunteering in a care home, working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital or being involved with some kind of project, charity or organisation. It would also be helpful if you are able to spend some time shadowing doctors in a local practice or hospital environment but not absolutely necessary.
    The more recent your experience (within the last 18 months) the more favourable your application will be viewed. You will be invited to talk about your work experience at the interview stage of the admissions process. They prefer someone who has spent a regular amount of time over several months than someone who has a day or two in a local hospital. The Admissions Panel will be looking for commitment and dedication on your part however, given the diversity and backgrounds of applicants, they will take into account applicants personal circumstances, e.g. age, completing the final year of a degree, working full-time plus family commitments/completing a part-time qualification, etc.
    Kind Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)
    DAAAYYYMMN !!! Just got this

Applicants who meet the GAMSAT score are asked to complete a work experience questionnaire which is graded. Applicants who have sufficient work experience will be invited for an interview.

Below is some information regarding the type of work experience required.
    It needs to take place in a care related environment where you will ideally interact with healthcare professionals and members of the public. The main focus for asking that applicants have work experience is to ensure that you are making an informed choice about your future career and are aware of the ups and downs of being involved in medicine.
    There are many ways you can do this ranging from volunteering in a care home, working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital or being involved with some kind of project, charity or organisation. It would also be helpful if you are able to spend some time shadowing doctors in a local practice or hospital environment but not absolutely necessary.
    The more recent your experience (within the last 18 months) the more favourable your application will be viewed. You will be invited to talk about your work experience at the interview stage of the admissions process. They prefer someone who has spent a regular amount of time over several months than someone who has a day or two in a local hospital. The Admissions Panel will be looking for commitment and dedication on your part however, given the diversity and backgrounds of applicants, they will take into account applicants personal circumstances, e.g. age, completing the final year of a degree, working full-time plus family commitments/completing a part-time qualification, etc.
    Kind Regards
    Had you contacted them, or was this an email they sent out unsolicited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    Had you contacted them, or was this an email they sent out unsolicited?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    contacted them

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else checking their email every hour ??

ReputationRep:
    Yes.....try every half hour....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cure92)
    Yes.....try every half hour....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by EBG92)
    Is anyone else checking their email every hour ??
    Have you had the work experience questionnaire yet? Apparently some people have. All I have had so far is the email saying they will send it out this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 206oste)
    Have you had the work experience questionnaire yet? Apparently some people have. All I have had so far is the email saying they will send it out this week.
    I haven't heard anything yet...other than it'll be this week...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cure92)
    I haven't heard anything yet...other than it'll be this week...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a relief. I was thinking that they had somehow changed their minds/I'd been missed off the list. I do hope we get it soon.

ReputationRep:
    That's a relief. I was thinking that they had somehow changed their minds/I'd been missed off the list. I do hope we get it soon.
    Yeah I got nothing although I have done alot of work experience I work full time now and haven't really managed to do any for the past 6 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)
    Yeah I got nothing although I have done alot of work experience I work full time now and haven't really managed to do any for the past 6 months
    I have been working abroad up until September so had very little until then, although I was occasionally working along side medics. Now I work 50 hours a week Monday-Friday (off today with the dreaded flu ) which means I have been doing a few hours in a care home on Sundays. What experience do you have? When I went to look around on their open day they did say that it would be taken into account that I worked full time and worked away a lot, as it would be taken into account for those still in full time degrees. A few of the current students said that they had what they perceived as little experience but got in yet there were others who had been working as HCA for two years prior to them getting in. It does appear to be the quality of your experience and not the quality as one of the lecturers said to me. Still doesn't make the waiting any better.

ReputationRep:
    I have been working abroad up until September so had very little until then, although I was occasionally working along side medics. Now I work 50 hours a week Monday-Friday (off today with the dreaded flu ) which means I have been doing a few hours in a care home on Sundays. What experience do you have? When I went to look around on their open day they did say that it would be taken into account that I worked full time and worked away a lot, as it would be taken into account for those still in full time degrees. A few of the current students said that they had what they perceived as little experience but got in yet there were others who had been working as HCA for two years prior to them getting in. It does appear to be the quality of your experience and not the quality as one of the lecturers said to me. Still doesn't make the waiting any better.

Well I think I've gathered alot of experience over years but who knows if it's the right sort

2009 - Medlink at Nottingham
    2010 - 2012 - Volunteered one day a week at my local disability home
    2011 summer - Volunteered aboard in Morocco for a month
    2011- 2013 Worked as a Student warden looking after 1026 students
    2012 - 2013 - Set up my own student led Tissue regeneration project.
    2012 summer - 2 months working with a neuropharmacology research lab company
    2012 summer - 6 months in an ENT Clinic one day a week
    Late 2012 - Shadowed a thoracic surgical team for a whole day (8 different ops)
    2013 Early - 6 months in the childrens ward performing magic as a volunteer
    2013 - Vice President of the Biomedical Sciences at Uni so did charity events and promoted to senior warden (Most hands on experience I have ever had)
    Worked all the time through my degree and now in full time employment but torn my quadricep 2 months ago so not had time to get back doing charity work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EBG92)
    Well I think I've gathered alot of experience over years but who knows if it's the right sort

2009 - Medlink at Nottingham
    2010 - 2012 - Volunteered one day a week at my local disability home
    2011 summer - Volunteered aboard in Morocco for a month
    2011- 2013 Worked as a Student warden looking after 1026 students
    2012 - 2013 - Set up my own student led Tissue regeneration project.
    2012 summer - 2 months working with a neuropharmacology research lab company
    2012 summer - 6 months in an ENT Clinic one day a week
    Late 2012 - Shadowed a thoracic surgical team for a whole day (8 different ops)
    2013 Early - 6 months in the childrens ward performing magic as a volunteer
    2013 - Vice President of the Biomedical Sciences at Uni so did charity events and promoted to senior warden (Most hands on experience I have ever had)
    Worked all the time through my degree and now in full time employment but torn my quadricep 2 months ago so not had time to get back doing charity work
    Wow that is rather a lot. Mine is just the care home mainly. I help out at a special needs school for a weekend every few months (when they do residential trips). A fair bit of shadowing of orthopaedics, cardiology and GP. And then while working abroad I spent one day a week or so working along aside primary care doctors in the middle east however that is a very tenuous link for work experience as it was just part and parcel of the work. I am a guide leader however I am unsure whether or not to include that, I suppose it depends on the number of different things you can list on the form. Have you graduated recently? If you don't mind me asking how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is rather a lot. Mine is just the care home mainly. I help out at a special needs school for a weekend every few months (when they do residential trips). A fair bit of shadowing of orthopaedics, cardiology and GP. And then while working abroad I spent one day a week or so working along aside primary care doctors in the middle east however that is a very tenuous link for work experience as it was just part and parcel of the work. I am a guide leader however I am unsure whether or not to include that, I suppose it depends on the number of different things you can list on the form. Have you graduated recently? If you don't mind me asking how old are you?
    I turned 21 in May and graduated with a 1st in June but I've done cadets and loads of other sorts of things but I would personally include the guide leader as it shows several things that doctors need such as responsibility, caring for others and also leadership.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.