Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Watch this, Hislop gets it bang on http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=32457

ReputationRep:
    Okay, seriously, can some mod just create a death penalty mega-thread since it seems to pop up every other week or so anyway??!! :facepalm2: :rolleyes: :getmecoat:

And for my opinion on OP: No, I think killing is wrong, loss of ANY life should be avoided..... :blah: :blah: :blah: (if you really care, read my old posts on it!)

ReputationRep:
    And once again, someone lets their pathetic emotions get in the way of progress

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind

ReputationRep:
    Yet if you lived their life you would have done the exact same crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Prevent the justice system from becoming based on revenge rather than rehabilitation.
    Reduces costs.
    Makes sure that innocent people aren't mistakenly executed.

Those things.
    I don't see how it reduces costs... It's estimated that keeping a single prisoner costs over £40,000 per year. Say they stay in prison for around 20 years, that's over £800,000 of tax payers money PER prisoner...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenfish)
    I don't see how it reduces costs... It's estimated that keeping a single prisoner costs over £40,000 per year. Say they stay in prison for around 20 years, that's over £800,000 of tax payers money PER prisoner...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    California spends $250 million per execution.

ReputationRep:
    If someone would hurt your loved ones, you would think differently. I am for death penalty for very serious crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominic101)
    California spends $250 million per execution.
    Quarter of a billion for 1 execution? Sources pls.

*edit*
    That figure is obviously fake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sure is a lot of money. But so are appeals and keeping people on death row. The way it is already, the average time spent on death row is ~16 years and that number is only increasing. Plus you need extra security on death row.

If we use the closest model to ours we can find that has the death penalty, we can see why the costs are actually ridiculous. In California, it was estimated that they spent $114 million per year on the death penalty. And that was in 2005.

In Utah, it costs $1.6 million extra (versus life without parole cases) to have the inmate executed.

In California they spent an extra $1 million just on housing for the death row inmate. In fact, in 1988(!) it was shown by Stephen magagnini that they would save $90 million a year just by abolishing the penalty.

In light of the few examples I've given, that just shows those who have been executed. From 1977-2010 only 16% of the inmates on death row were executed.

Yes, it's more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Quarter of a billion for 1 execution? Sources pls.

*edit*
    That figure is obviously fake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/20/news...death_penalty/ have the courtesy to apologize please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominic101)
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/20/news...death_penalty/ have the courtesy to apologize please
    Then California is doing something wrong.
    In texas an execution case costs $2 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then California is doing something wrong.
    In texas an execution case costs $2 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/cost...e-imprisonment your cost cutting argument is utter rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Why does EVERYTHING have to come down to money? It's crazy. Seriously, the day people start to realise that life is more important than money, the day we can finally live in peace.
    The death penalty is wrong. If you could not kill them yourselves with your own hands, it's hypocritical to vote for it. By voting for it, you're killing them. Their blood is on your hands. And killing is wrong. Simple, really. And before you say, "Oh yeah, I could kill them, no problem", you really haven't thought about it at all. And if you have thought about it and still think the same, how are you different from the people that you're having killed?
    People don't think any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Watch this, Hislop gets it bang on http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=32457
    totally agree with this.
    also, i think the woman at the end makes a good point about whether we mix up justice and revenge.
    And i think someone else already said it, but i'll say it again. an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurrygirl)
    totally agree with this.
    also, i think the woman at the end makes a good point about whether we mix up justice and revenge.
    And i think someone else already said it, but i'll say it again. an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
    There would also be one person left with one eye, which shows how daft the saying is :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattheywood94)
    There would also be one person left with one eye, which shows how daft the saying is :P

Lol you sort of missed the point there :P

ReputationRep:
    no, it's inhumane

ReputationRep:
    I'll be slammed for saying this but I honestly believe this is the perfect idiot test. Morons say "Yes! Bring back the death penalty", people that aren't morons say the opposite. Everyone I have ever met that is for it is a bit of an idiot, that's the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattheywood94)
    Why does EVERYTHING have to come down to money? It's crazy. Seriously, the day people start to realise that life is more important than money, the day we can finally live in peace.
    The death penalty is wrong. If you could not kill them yourselves with your own hands, it's hypocritical to vote for it. By voting for it, you're killing them. Their blood is on your hands. And killing is wrong. Simple, really. And before you say, "Oh yeah, I could kill them, no problem", you really haven't thought about it at all. And if you have thought about it and still think the same, how are you different from the people that you're having killed?
    People don't think any more.
    I strongly agree. money should not come in to this at all. The only reason that it does is that people for capitol punishment have no argument so they wrongly suggest that it would save money. As far as i'm concerned it is a total non issue.

ReputationRep:
    I think the death penalty is one of the greatest forms of cynicism. 'They can't be reformed, might as well kill them' and all that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.