Have DM readers had half their brains removed? Watch

Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
You will find far worse on TSR, yet most of the people here think they're rocket scientists.
You seem very intent on defending the Mail, and your argument(s) mainly revolve around half-arsed comparisons to TSR. (Which is certainly not quite as bad...)
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pastaferian)
It's called the 'no true Scotsman' fallacy.

Incidentally, when Andy Murray kept losing important matches, he was a Scottish tennis player. When he won the Olympics and Wimbledon, he suddenly became British. Don't underestimate the public's ability to pick and choose on these matters.
I think what helped Murray become identified as "British" is his first major triumph was the Olympics when he was part of Team GB, so it was like Chris Hoy, he had success with a British brand. I get what you say about people being more likely to say Murray was Scottish when he wasn't a winner, but I don't buy the argument that that was English fans wanting to pass off a loser as a Scot to preserve Britain for the winners, because remember all the crap that Tim Henman - the classical Englishman - used to get when he lost in semis...."he's typical British a gallant loser".
elohssa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, but they still have half a brain more than libtardian readers.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://toys.usvsth3m.com/daily-mail-or-stormfront/
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just had a look at that. With some of the comments it's hard to tell the difference between the two.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
I've just had a look at that. With some of the comments it's hard to tell the difference between the two.
I know! I wonder if they noticed that problem when making the game...
Creat0r
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You fools have so much to learn about the papers. The Telegraph or Guardian are crafty with the way they spin lies, every paper is. To me The Observer is no better than The Daily Sport.

If you have had real personal experience with a news story only then will you learn why papers get a bad name, all of them. The Daily Mail can be quite good if you are selective with it as I am, I avoid 80% of the trash there but hey, how often do you see a cool WW2 story as its main headline?

As for the Andy Murray chat, what a bunch of morons, how can you feel so superior to the media yet you've been fooled by it in one of the most pathetic claims in recent sporting history.
TheGuy117
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Creat0r)
You fools have so much to learn about the papers. The Telegraph or Guardian are crafty with the way they spin lies, every paper is. To me The Observer is no better than The Daily Sport.

If you have had real personal experience with a news story only then will you learn why papers get a bad name, all of them. The Daily Mail can be quite good if you are selective with it as I am, I avoid 80% of the trash there but hey, how often do you see a cool WW2 story as its main headline?

As for the Andy Murray chat, what a bunch of morons, how can you feel so superior to the media yet you've been fooled by it in one of the most pathetic claims in recent sporting history.
This post summed up:

Pastaferian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
I assumed that the really illiterate comment would be Stormfront, but no! - it was the Heil Online :rofl:

I saw a similar quiz some time back asking readers to judge whether comments were made by the Iranian leader or one of the Republican candidates running for President. Guess which one was the extremist.
Creat0r
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGuy117)
This post summed up:
Honestly, is that a dig? I am actually confused here, I could have done the same with your OP. Even so, it doesn't actually work as a reply to my post, do you see that it doesn't work?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is just the sort of ignorant, sweeping generalisation worthy of the comment threads on the Daily Mail...

Intelligence isn't like that, I would wager a majority of Daily Mail readers are on the working/lower-middle class cusp which means they do a fair bit of hard graft and don't have time to formulate a balanced opinion on things. In a complex and unnatural society where polities comprise several thousand or million people rather than 250 or less, it is impossible to assess loyalty and trust based on interpersonal interaction. Because of the need to analyse the motivations of strangers, the in-group/out-group instinct is brought into the mix and crude heuristics such as race, colour, class, language, belief are the best the human brain has got.

The above heuristics are perhaps more natural to human societies than others, but the Mail and other tabloids are adept at making us redefine or strengthen the particular in-group/out-group profile they want us to have. They do this through heightening the threat response by exaggeration and inflammatory language.

This is the surest route towards re-wiring people's minds because the threat response has evolved to do the most selfish action quickly without cogitating on it and it is also highly emotionally charged.

This allows the Mail to increase its hegemony in the marketplace and thus reach more people, and so on, so that it and similar sources are effectively the only channels for informing the savage man in a complex modern society on exactly who he ought to watch out for.
Pastaferian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
That is just the sort of ignorant, sweeping generalisation worthy of the comment threads on the Daily Mail...

Intelligence isn't like that, I would wager a majority of Daily Mail readers are on the working/lower-middle class cusp which means they do a fair bit of hard graft and don't have time to formulate a balanced opinion on things. In a complex and unnatural society where polities comprise several thousand or million people rather than 250 or less, it is impossible to assess loyalty and trust based on interpersonal interaction. Because of the need to analyse the motivations of strangers, the in-group/out-group instinct is brought into the mix and crude heuristics such as race, colour, class, language, belief are the best the human brain has got.

The above heuristics are perhaps more natural to human societies than others, but the Mail and other tabloids are adept at making us redefine or strengthen the particular in-group/out-group profile they want us to have. They do this through heightening the threat response by exaggeration and inflammatory language.

This is the surest route towards re-wiring people's minds because the threat response has evolved to do the most selfish action quickly without cogitating on it and it is also highly emotionally charged.

This allows the Mail to increase its hegemony in the marketplace and thus reach more people, and so on, so that it and similar sources are effectively the only channels for informing the savage man in a complex modern society on exactly who he ought to watch out for.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Students are supposed to be intelligent, enquiring, able to form their own opinions, and time-rich enough to do so. That's why it's so sad to see even one TSR member approving of the Daily Mail.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
You seem very intent on defending the Mail, and your argument(s) mainly revolve around half-arsed comparisons to TSR. (Which is certainly not quite as bad...)
Do you even look at TSR?

"Muslims! Read this..."
"Christians! Read this...."
"Non-Christians! Read this...."
"Atheists!....."
"Sluts! Read this...."
"Anyone who didn't ace their A-levels / GCSEs / 11+ is unworthy..."
"Everyone who supports America is vile, disgusting scum"
"Everyone who doesn't support America is vile, disgusting scum"
"Ban x"
"Abolish y"

....and those are just the thread titles. The content would turn you white (and then brown with guilt).
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pastaferian)
It's called the 'no true Scotsman' fallacy.

Incidentally, when Andy Murray kept losing important matches, he was a Scottish tennis player. When he won the Olympics and Wimbledon, he suddenly became British. Don't underestimate the public's ability to pick and choose on these matters.
Is that actually true or is it just something people think is true? Needs a proper statistical analysis. It might be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because someone suggested the idea, you notice cases where it holds true, and ignore cases where it doesn't.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll propose you a challenge.

Find me five comments by Mail readers that you find distasteful or stupid.

I will find you ten comments by TSR denizens that are worse.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
haha. The average Daily Mail reader is an idiot to start with, but after years of reading Daily Mail, their mental condition deteriorates.
The same could be said about TSR. Look at today's threads.

It is the truth. No one in their right mind would refer to Daily Mail, let alone read it.
The problem I have with this TSR attitude is that it's politically motivated deliberate ignorance. Any time something that the DM-haters don't like appears in the Mail, it's automatically lies and untrue. When something they do like appears, magically the story is validated by some convoluted means. The bottom line is : "anything I don't like is lies". And this makes TSRians better than DM readers, does it?
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
The same could be said about TSR. Look at today's threads.

It could be, except the topic was not about discussing TSR and its threads.
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)

The problem I have with this TSR attitude is that it's politically motivated deliberate ignorance. Any time something that the DM-haters don't like appears in the Mail, it's automatically lies and untrue. When something they do like appears, magically the story is validated by some convoluted means. The bottom line is : "anything I don't like is lies". And this makes TSRians better than DM readers, does it?
And you're wrong - it's universal truth that DM exaggerates or writes pointless BS stories.
Pastaferian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
But you keep popping up in climate change threads to spread politically motivated deliberate ignorance, or at any rate ignorance. If you stopped, maybe things would get better? :confused:
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. The Daily Mail is the best newspaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads