Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    In terms of heating water 2.4GHz is particularly good (that's how microwave ovens work).

For a mobile phone near the body with wifi enabled you'd potentially have
    0.1W @2.4GHz from wifi 100% of the time
    ~2W @800/1800/2100 GSM/3G some of the time

(The 2W figure came from a page on wikipedia so might not be accurate. Mobiles will potentially vary their output power depending on signal strength - using more power when you have a weak signal).

Overall in terms of negative effects on the body I don't think there'll be much difference and you're microwave oven is potentially worse.

With some of the commercial wifi kit I've used the warning usually say to keep it 20cm away from people.

Personally I'm not too worried by those power levels although I don't generally sleep with the mobile phone on the pillow. (/me checks radio license for 2.4GHz - 400W into the antenna) that's the point I'd be more worried (The only equipment I use at 2.4GHz is wifi and microwave, but I know of people that do experiment with radios on that band with more power than a wifi point).
    hmm interesting stuff, hate to push your knowledge even further but do you know what sort of effect 5GHz wifi has? I have a dual band router that pushes 2.4 and 5GHz at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    hmm interesting stuff, hate to push your knowledge even further but do you know what sort of effect 5GHz wifi has? I have a dual band router that pushes 2.4 and 5GHz at the same time!
    Again unless you're right up against it I don't think it'll have much effect for normal power wifi. If you're running a router at higher power then maybe stay slightly further away from it (although the powers you're likely to have aren't likely to do anything too bad).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.