Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Yes you should. They forgot about it or left it there, but as they let you use their property it was your responsibility to make sure that it wasn't damaged.

Obviously you didn't damage it, but you should still apologise on behalf of your flatmate, and explain that he used it without your permission.

Did your flatmate apologise to you? Because he should imo.
    Again, I didn't use it, they did :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Wow, you should have just apologised to be honest it's manners, it's no big deal is it? You could have said something like "sorry about that, it works fine but this lad last night used it without asking". They would have understood. Secondly, I don't see why you wouldn't let the lad use it in the first place you could have just said clean it.

P.S. there will be a number of people that know about this whole thing obviously, how do you know one of them won't read this post?
    Let me clarify, they don't want me to say sorry, they want me to appologise. That is "express regret for something that one has done wrong.".
    They don't want me to say I wish it hadnt happoned. They want me to take the blame forit. And in all honesty I don't care if they do find it. I think it shows I'm putting thought into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Yes you should. They forgot about it or left it there, but as they let you use their property it was your responsibility to make sure that it wasn't damaged.

Obviously you didn't damage it, but you should still apologise on behalf of your flatmate, and explain that he used it without your permission.

Did your flatmate apologise to you? Because he should imo.
    Hope this issue has now been resolved - but definitely think you should apologise.

You could word it so it's still true but sidestepping responsibility...."I'm sorry that this has upset you" rather than saying "I'm sorry that the grill is broken"

what have you got to lose if you apologise??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorInTraining)
    Hope this issue has now been resolved - but definitely think you should apologise.

You could word it so it's still true but sidestepping responsibility...."I'm sorry that this has upset you" rather than saying "I'm sorry that the grill is broken"
    I think you've quoted the wrong person

ReputationRep:
    Well, sometimes it is better to apologise to deal with people's irrationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2144)
    Let me clarify, they don't want me to say sorry, they want me to appologise. That is "express regret for something that one has done wrong.".
    They don't want me to say I wish it hadnt happoned. They want me to take the blame forit. And in all honesty I don't care if they do find it. I think it shows I'm putting thought into it.
    OP, a normal person would have said 'sorry' instead of running to find their dictionary. You are completely in the wrong, regardless of how it 'harpooned'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    If you want to maintain an okay relationship with them then go ahead and apologise. Personally, I wouldn't, but I don't think twice about what others think about me so not apologising in this kind of situation would be okay for me.
    I'd apologise. Think of it in the other person's shoes. How do they know that this "friend" broke it.

Reading it, it does sound pretty sincere, but any one can blame a "friend£

ReputationRep:
    It's your responsibility to look after it, so yes you should apologise.

If a plane was flying automatically and the pilot just watched the plane crash, wouldn't he have to apologise?

Weird example i know ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2144)
    What exactly should I be apologising for and what is the life lesson?
    Because their item was broken whilst it was in your house after they'd loaned it to you in good faith. Because you're sorry that happened? The life lesson is that sometimes you need to say sorry when things weren't entirely your fault. Sometimes it is good manners to say you're sorry even when you're not. Sometimes an apology is to make someone else feel better rather than to express regret that you are actually feeling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2144)
    x
    Did they leave immediately after they lent it to you? Because then I would say you should have returned it to them afterwards. If they were with you the whole time and then forgot, then thats a little bit different.

In either case, I think them asking you to apologise is a bit too aggressive. I would understand why you would not apologise. If they hadnt said that, then you maybe more willing to give a little sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should find the person who actually broke it, charge them for the damage and give the money to the owner.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.