Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nigel Farage physically attacked watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Only a leftist would go to a political event with an unkempt beard dressed as a dinosaur
    Prejudice, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    I don't approve of mobs, whether they physically attack people or not. In reality, a bop on the head is hardly worth caring about - when it's done by a jeering mob it becomes a significant issue.

I'm fine with protest. That, I am not fine with. The police should've disbanded the whole thing long before it got to that.

ReputationRep:
    Embarrasing. Only word for it. Trying to force your way into the building despite the police-I worry more about people like that in society who respond in such a manner when someone else puts a view forward they don't like than any "racism" UKIP may have.

I mean if someone disagrees with you (he has an opinion many in the UK have, hardly an extremist) you respond in that kind of way? If you can't silence people you try to do it by imtimidation and vile behaviour?

I bet they go away thinking they have done a good job, feeling proud of themselves those protestor:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/sto...uring-protest/

so much for peaceful protest I wonder what would happen if UKIP supporters had attacked an immigrant we would never hear the end of it worldwide news
    Yep, lefties will cover up the faults of other lefties, I dare say that this will be played down.

Whoever hit him on the head is effectively hitting reform and a bright future, on the head.

ReputationRep:
    You get protesters at virtually every political event now. It's getting mental, and requires a heavy police presence around politicians at huge expense. Largely these people are hooligans, who'd think nothing of physical assaults or damaging property.

I, for one, am getting sick of it.

ReputationRep:
    Protesting is one thing, mob mentality and violence paired with attempts at trespassing is something else entirely. Those people are idiots. Especially those actually banging on the door trying to get in. The cops should have just bundled them all in the back of a police van.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to resort to using petty insults, intimidation and even physical violence against those with an opposing political view instead of engaging them in a civilized debate, then frankly your own ideology probably sucks and you should seriously consider re-examining your world views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    If you have to resort to using petty insults, intimidation and even physical violence against those with an opposing political view instead of engaging them in a civilized debate, then frankly your own ideology probably sucks and you should seriously consider re-examining your world views.
    We don't have democracy, we have the dictatorship of the bourgeois.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Absolutely disgusting.

Reminded me of when Bloom hit that journalist over the head with a UKIP brochure. Which was also disgusting. (The attack, not the brochure)

(oh ok then, the brochure too.)
    There was nothing wrong with the brochure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    Shame it wasn't an axe. Shut up the ukip fanboys who infest this forum

People who are not brain washed and believe in democracy?

Also, you are advocating would could be considered attempted murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mourinho<3)
    Embarrasing. Only word for it. Trying to force your way into the building despite the police-I worry more about people like that in society who respond in such a manner when someone else puts a view forward they don't like than any "racism" UKIP may have.

I mean if someone disagrees with you (he has an opinion many in the UK have, hardly an extremist) you respond in that kind of way? If you can't silence people you try to do it by imtimidation and vile behaviour?

I bet they go away thinking they have done a good job, feeling proud of themselves those protestor:rolleyes:
    Political parties engage in corruption, co-option and coercion to suppress opposing views. That is much more dangerous than mob protest because it is insidious, harder to see and to cogently oppose.

It is very dangerous to label the actions of protestors as "too intimidating to be allowed". Since UKIP are a political party with some considerable soft (and hard) power to their name, the only way for people to oppose them properly is through collective action, be that protests, mobbing, or the formation of a political party. Britain, however, is plainly not ready for an openly left-wing political party, and won't be at least until the baby boomers have all died off.

While knocking him over the head with a placard is not ideal, it's far from an organised group of thugs beating him to a pulp, in the manner we sometimes see from certain extreme fascists or anti-fascists. And it is absolutely disingenuous to use it as an argument to limit protest. Doing so makes you a useful idiot for the elites.

ReputationRep:
    Must say Nigel Farage handles these situations and all the criticism rather well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    The thug should be jailed, it might not have done physical damage but it intimidated him and assaulting him is an insult to democracy.
    You'd end up jailing half the country with that attitude.

(Original post by Mourinho<3)
    (he has an opinion many in the UK have, hardly an extremist)
    I don't think that follows

(Original post by will2348)
    Must say Nigel Farage handles these situations and all the criticism rather well.
    Agreed; I'll always hate UKIP but Farage is a much stronger leader than Cameron, Miliband or Clegg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquid Swordsman)
    You'd end up jailing half the country with that attitude.

I don't think that follows

Agreed; I'll always hate UKIP but Farage is a much stronger leader than Cameron, Miliband or Clegg
    A recent poll put UKIP as the party that most popular party that people agreed with. Farage is exactly what this country needs, those in Westminster have been sitting comfortable for far too long with the partiers becoming closer and closer. UKIP will either give a new 4th choice or at the very least force the torries to move right and create a real difference between the established parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
    A recent poll put UKIP as the party that most popular party that people agreed with. Farage is exactly what this country needs, those in Westminster have been sitting comfortable for far too long with the partiers becoming closer and closer. UKIP will either give a new 4th choice or at the very least force the torries to move right and create a real difference between the established parties.
    ...And this is a thoroughly good thing. Regardless of your views, you cannot agree that the current smear campaign on UKIP is justified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    ...And this is a thoroughly good thing. Regardless of your views, you cannot agree that the current smear campaign on UKIP is justified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You completely misunderstood me. I am 100% against the EU. UKIP are the most anti-EU party, therefore they have my support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
    You completely misunderstood me. I am 100% against the EU. UKIP are the most anti-EU party, therefore they have my support.
    No, I was agreeing with you. My last sentence was a general comment aimed at everyone else, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/sto...uring-protest/

so much for peaceful protest I wonder what would happen if UKIP supporters had attacked an immigrant we would never hear the end of it worldwide news
    There is a difference between hitting someone because you disagree with their political views than hitting someone for their nationality.
    Reason: You control your political views, nationality is something that you were in no way responsible for.

They're both completely wrong but your comment would probably earn you a smack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    There is a difference between hitting someone because you disagree with their political views than hitting someone for their nationality.
    Reason: You control your political views, nationality is something that you were in no way responsible for.

What comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)

What? An assault is an assault. Moreover attempting to assign blame based on criteria such as the above would simply encourage thuggery towards those whom certain individuals wished to intimidate into changing their politics. If you can be intimidated or beaten into "changing" your political views then you are not in fact in control of them.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.